Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bret

Issue w/ Throttle Cables, Helibars

I have a Helibars installed on my 2000, but have had some wrist issues/soreness that I think I could recifiy by adjusting the bars/sweep a bit.  Problem is, I can only adjust them so far (not far enough) before the lower of the two throttle cables hits the tank on the right side. I could sure use that extra .5 of adjustment to spare my wrist a bit on longer rides. 

Does anyone know if the lower of the two cables is the push cable and if it's safe to remove it? I run only the pull cable on my CBR900RR and that works fine, but it's a carbureted.  Not sure why a fuel injected bike requires both cables. Any easy answer there? 

Whether your bike is carbureted or FI, the throttle cables do exactly the same thing, namely rotating a shaft that opens the throttle butterfly. There is a return spring at the butterflies that will close them, so you could regard the pull-to-close cable as either unnecessary or a useful safety device if the return spring ever fails. 

I put higher bars on my 6th Gen and found the throttle cables from a ST1100 are the same style but a few inches longer.

I'm not sure if this helps as mine is a FI engine.

hope this helps.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.