Michelin Road 5

adamv

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has purchased any of the new Michelin Road 5 tires?

I have the Michelin Road 4 on my bike at the moment. Extremely impressed with the wear and grip. Still got plenty of tread, but I'm looking at replacing them as I'm going on a long ride in the twisties (4,000kms) and want to make sure I have good tread for the whole trip.

I was going to purchase another set of Michelin Road 4's, but then saw that they have released new 5's - and was wondering if anyone could comment as to any difference between the two on VFR's?

Cheers

Adam.

• Member Contributer

Not yet but will most likely be ordering them in a bout a week. My understanding of the Road 5 is that it it patterned after the Pilot RS (in main tread pattern and in construction.) If that is the case I can say that I've been using the Pilot RS on my 5 Gen and have a few track days on them and so far I am liking them. Unfortunately I don't have any street miles on them at the moment, so cannot comment as far as longevity and street performance but at the track they feel good.

• Member Contributer

I haven't tried the Road 5 yet. But I used a set of Pilot RS last year and after 7500 km (including a 5000 km tour of California) they still have a fair amount of life. My previous sets were Pilot Road 4, after a series of PP,  PP2, and PP3. Fwiw, my PR4 lasted more than 16,000 km, mostly during trips to Colorado and California.

If you have no complaints about the PR4 my guess is that you will like the PR5 even more.

The Power RS improved on the Power 3, for me at least, and I'm betting that the PR5 will similarly improve on the PR4.

• Member Contributer

I just sat through a Michelin training seminar on the new Road 5. 

Once the Road 5 GT and Trail are launched later in 2018/ early 2019, the Road 4 will be dropped from the lineup to keep the choices to Road 2, 3 and 5 and eliminate too much confusion.  A "good/ better/ best" if you will covering all riders and price points.

The word PILOT was also dropped in favor of just ROAD to cut down on confusion.

The Power 3 has also been dropped from the sport lineup, which will now be Power, Power 2CT and Power RS.  Another "good / better/ best" again covering all riding types/ demands and price points.

Here are my notes on the Road 5 from the Michelin NA Mcy division head honchos:

TRAIL 4 WILL BE MID ‘18/ ROAD 5 GT WILL BE 2019

DO NOT SWAP TO A ROAD 5 IF YOU ARE RUNNING A ROAD 4 GT

AS THE TIRE WEARS, THE SIPING GROOVES WIDEN TO CONTINUE TO EVACUATE WATER

EVEN AFTER 3500 MILES MICHELIN ROAD 5 TIRES STOP AS SHORT AS NEW MICHELIN ROAD 4 TIRES THANS TO THE EVOLUTIONARY XST EVO SIPES

DUNLOP ROADSMART 3 WAS BARELY ON PAR WITH ROAD 4/ ROAD 5 KILLS IT

I have a set that i am going to try later this year on my '07 RWB once the Angel GTs are worn out.  I have been running the Angel GTs for years now and love them.  My guess is the Road 5 will have much more grip in the wet and damp conditions than the Angel GT but maybe not more than in the dry.  But being based off of the Power RS, I might be surprised when I try them how much grip they have.  My highly modified Hawk GT has a set of the Power RS on it and the grip is insane.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the information. I'm going to get the Road 5's for my next tire, and see how they compare.

I've gone from Angel GT's to Road Pilot 4's - and was impressed with the increase wear. Will be excited to see what the new technology does with the 5's!

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Arvind said:

Still no owner reviews yet,  just marketing repeats and fluff

I’ll be ordering them this weekend and should be installed next by weekend, if all goes to plan...A review may take a little longer though, as I do have to put some miles on them. Not sure if your region is dry as Southern California but at the moment we are not experiencing any wet weather, so no wet weather reviews for a while.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Arvind said:

Still no owner reviews yet,  just marketing repeats and fluff

And What have you got to offer?  Really man WTF

• Member Contributer

Mate has just fitted a 5 to the front of his today.  He is a d/r in London  with regular runs up the country, so clocks up a good few miles.   So far he rates them way above. Pr4 which he thought were crap esp on wear and handled wires the more worn they got. 

• 4 months later...

For those that went with the new Road 5's, how do they feel for wear and confidence now that you have had a few weeks/months of ownership?
Not too far off topic, anyone move onto the Michelin Road 5's from Roadsmart 3's or similar?

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, MSRP said:

For those that went with the new Road 5's, how do they feel for wear and confidence now that you have had a few weeks/months of ownership?
Not too far off topic, anyone move onto the Michelin Road 5's from Roadsmart 3's or similar?

LOL, I just responded to your post over at VFRWorld. But for those he prefer to stay on this site, here's what I wrote.

Well too early to tell on mileage but they do seem to be wearing well. I actually used them at the track and although I really didn't push them too hard (I was on my commuter bike) I did use them more than I would have on public roads and I felt more than positive they'd do the job on the streets and canyons. I even got in a little rain ride on the way home from the track and had a slight panic stop, the tires didn't even flinch, bike stayed upright and slowed to a complete stop.

Note that these are a little stiffer than previous Michelin "Road" tires so you do feel the road a bit more but for me I actually prefer this over the previous versions. As it is still too early to know if I'll get the same mileage as the PR2 and PR4 I used previously, all indications show I should be in the same ballpark (10k+). I'll also add that with the PR2 and PR4 rears, I mated a Pilot Power 3 front, however this round I went with the Road 5 front and rear. The Road 5 are close to the Power RS and I have those on my 5 Gen and they have been great so far, so I figured I try the Road 5 front this time round. So far it's been fine but I didn't like the earlier PR front tires.

5 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

LOL, I just responded to your post over at VFRWorld. But for those he prefer to stay on this site, here's what I wrote.

Well too early to tell on mileage but they do seem to be wearing well. I actually used them at the track and although I really didn't push them too hard (I was on my commuter bike) I did use them more than I would have on public roads and I felt more than positive they'd do the job on the streets and canyons. I even got in a little rain ride on the way home from the track and had a slight panic stop, the tires didn't even flinch, bike stayed upright and slowed to a complete stop.

Note that these are a little stiffer than previous Michelin "Road" tires so you do feel the road a bit more but for me I actually prefer this over the previous versions. As it is still too early to know if I'll get the same mileage as the PR2 and PR4 I used previously, all indications show I should be in the same ballpark (10k+). I'll also add that with the PR2 and PR4 rears, I mated a Pilot Power 3 front, however this round I went with the Road 5 front and rear. The Road 5 are close to the Power RS and I have those on my 5 Gen and they have been great so far, so I figured I try the Road 5 front this time round. So far it's been fine but I didn't like the earlier PR front tires.

Thanks Duc,

That certainly helps, a bit off topic, but while I may be leaning to grab a set (maybe 2) of the Dunlop Roadsmart 3's, if money was no object, I would go for the Road 5's. 

I run Michelin tires on all my cars/SUV's, and I really trust their R&D, how are they so good? (Hint: because they invested heavily in Formula 1, destroyed Bridgestone, and pulled out of the sport when they were asked to create tires that purposely have bad tire wear to improve the sport; that's my take anyways). 

All that they learned now trickle down to consumer stuff like MC and SUV tires. Grip just like the rest of the competition, but also damn durable like no other.

PS. I hope my garage steers clear of yours, but I also have a lifted SUV and a few red rockets..

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, MSRP said:

I run Michelin tires on all my cars/SUV's,

Same here - I run Michelin exclusively on everything whether 2 wheels or 4. 

• Member Contributer

After a 5,000 km/3,000 mile trip to Laguna Seca I have a few thoughts about Michelin's PR5 on my '09 VTec.

First, the front tire sings on certain pavement, most noticeable on smooth textures. A minor observation, but something I don't recall with any of the Michelin Pilot series I've used dating back to Y2K.

Temperatures ranged from 2 to 32 ℃  or 35 to 90 ℉, no rain to speak of but we hit some moderately moist pavement in spots. Pavement varied from lovely new asphalt to ancient macadam, and from to Interstate freeway to not much more than goat trails. No high speeds 'cause the bike was loaded down and I was thousands of km from home.

The new Road 5 feel similar to my last two sets of Michelins, Power RS and Road 4. Turn in feels progressive, not tippy. Visually, both front and rear have developed slightly flattened centres but steering still feels neutral. Unlike some tires I've used in the past the front hasn't cupped (yet). Both still have a lot of tread depth left and my guess is for for them to last more than double the ir current mileage.

Tl;dr if you like Michelin you will like the Road 5. And if you prefer other brands, well you'd still like the PR5.

Archived