SW Motech Rack

Stevewils

HairBrain was interested in some pics of the SW Motech rack so thought I would post some pictures, easier to start a new thread with this one (but please move Mr Administrator if it needs to be in another section). I am using an SW Motech rack with a Givi topbox.

This is the SW Motech rack, much close to the bike and more streamlined than the Givi rack.

IMG_0269.thumb.JPG.1276f0297496bf43bd0d81698c859a4b.JPGIMG_0270.thumb.JPG.e7852d021b1380bca07486cf09dd9a09.JPG

Then you add the specific bracket for the top box you want to use, this can be removed when you remove the top box if you want to retain the minimal look - only held in place by 3 Dzus fasteners.

IMG_0280.thumb.JPG.79d2d7f125951616b3837cfa3b882a75.JPG

Here it is with the top box on.

IMG_0284.thumb.JPG.a9d0ae050fd3fceb29c9b4a2a28419f8.JPG

Yeah, they are quickly detachable all right. Those camlocs broke on me pretty quickly. Ruined my top case and mounting plate when they hit the highway. But Twisted Throttle customer service is top notch and they took care of me. I heartily recommend swapping out those quick release fasteners with traditional bolts or cap head screws.

Also not a bad idea to routinely check the bolts that attach the base plate to the arms. Lost one on the Cherohala Skyway last year. This is in no way a knock against SW Motech products. After changing the bolts, it's been perfect and I would buy the whole setup again.

1 hour ago, marriedman said:

Yeah, they are quickly detachable all right. Those camlocs broke on me pretty quickly. Ruined my top case and mounting plate when they hit the highway. But Twisted Throttle customer service is top notch and they took care of me. I heartily recommend swapping out those quick release fasteners with traditional bolts or cap head screws.

Also not a bad idea to routinely check the bolts that attach the base plate to the arms. Lost one on the Cherohala Skyway last year. This is in no way a knock against SW Motech products. After changing the bolts, it's been perfect and I would buy the whole setup again.

Marriedman,

Thanks for taking the time to add to my post. I have been removing the base plate after every use but might consider otherwise now that I have seen your post. I have read through the history and it certainly doesn't make for great reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Following the information from Marriedman, I was getting quite nervous on whether the top box would make it to the same destination as me, so I have made a little change.

I still wanted to occasionally remove the adaptor plate, so I have left the two front camlocs in place as they are hidden beneath the bracket and removed the rear camloc and put a bolt with a wingnut in its place. Hopefully the combination of the two will keep it in place but still allow a quick removal if I want.

IMG_0332.thumb.JPG.19bbe874f6c60ef44076ee25921ff375.JPGIMG_0333.thumb.JPG.084052cc48b18664d48bc9f0eb6f7fe0.JPG

Archived