Wind deflector question.

Sikorsky

Hey everyone. I've been debating purchasing the OEM heated handgrips for some time. However, there are so many reports of failures, it is a concern. At $400/pair, it's a pricey concern.

An option for me is the OEM wind defectors. Does anyone has experience with them and if do, how effective are they?

Keep in mind, these days I'm more of a fair weather rider. Rain and below 5 deg C temps are something I stay aw

Thanks ahead of time ........

• Member Contributer

Wasn't aware the OEM heated grips have been an issue on the Gen7.  MIne have been problem free...barring the struggle getting the left grip on.  Yes, Honda bends you over on their grip kit price.  Cheaper non-OEM kits are available.

The deflectors are not a substitute for heated grips, merely an adjunct.

• Member Contributer

I have fitted wind deflectors and they work wonderfully. It not only keeps your hands dryer but helps abate the wind chill. My 6th Gen heated grips have never worked but with these and winter gloves sub zero riding (degrees centigrade :wink: ) is tolerable.

just bought some cheapies of Evilbay. took some fettling but they work and don't foul the fairing, even with the high bars.

These are the actual ones I was looking at.

https://www.motosport.com/honda-genuine-accessories-wind-deflector-set

Woodie ........ are you talking of the types that mount on the handlebars, usually seen on dirt bikes? If so, I had a set mounted on a 2nd gen Tuono. Worked fine as well. 

• Member Contributer

The OEM wind deflectors will neither keep your gloved hands dry nor warm...by themselves.  They only help deflect the air flow around the grips, and work in conjunction with heated grips, OEM or otherwise.  They should have been standard equipment.  The OEM heated grips work well, I've never been able to use level three for more than a few minutes as they pump out a lot of heat.  You'll still need waterproof gloves in a steady rain, the OEM deflectors won't change that.

Whether heated grips are all you need for sustained cold weather riding is another matter.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Ghostrider1127 said:

oem heated grips malfunction : a lot was recall from honda directly due problems , also replaced free of charge (even after 5-6 years)

Are you referring to the 1200 heated grips?  If so, I'd like to check with my dealer if there has been a Honda issued recall as you state.  Can you link me to any forums, or other sources that discuss this?

My heated grips work well for ~80.000km. And in central europe I used them quite often, as I don't really end the season ;)

With summer gloves on max power you might get 1st degree burns.

They are same model as used in 8th gen, AFAIK.

I have both the OEM deflectors and heated grips, or at least I did until the plastic housing around the switch fell apart. My hands get pretty cold without the heat, so I don't think the deflectors are that great at keeping the hands warm, but I've never ridden without them, so I can't compare. I'm having a hard time coughing up for a new set of heated grips just to replace the switch and housing.

Sikorsky, we should get together sometime when it dries out (in May)

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, tomcatek said:

They are same model as used in 8th gen, AFAIK.

The heated grips on my 1200F and 2015 800X (same as 8th Gen) are different. The 8th Gen heated grips have 5 settings and on my X, there is a tellback on the console.

The biggest difference is the 1200 ones work, the 800 ones are rubbish.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Marsman99 said:

Are you referring to the 1200 heated grips?  If so, I'd like to check with my dealer if there has been a Honda issued recall as you state.  Can you link me to any forums, or other sources that discuss this?

1200f and x , 800f and x , africa twin 1000 (most of the time problems was only for bikes with clips on BTW)

Archived