Any CRF450X Supermoto Owners?

JZH

• Member Contributer

Seems a fairly common conversion over here for the "enduro" version of the Honda CRF450 (electric start, side stand, de-tuned?) 

Why?  There's a silly "Ultra Low Emissions Zone" charge coming in next year, which basically means that none of the motorcycles I currently own can be ridden into the centre of London without me being liable to pay £12.50/day, which would make commuting rather expensive.  (My commute is quite short, only about eight miles, but it is through horrific traffic.)  Motorcycles are exempt from the ULEZ charge if they're manufactured to be Euro3 compliant (roughly, 2008-on models).  I don't know how the CRF450X has evolved over the years, but I'd need to find one from 2008-on in order to beat the charge.  Any tips?

project5006.jpg

(Not my bike!)

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

You are in the UK....:beer:

IMAG0367.jpg

http://www.gp45.co.uk/what-is-gp45/

I think most people do a tubeless wheel swap (Warp 9s), throw street tires on, and call it a day. Maybe a Baja lighting kit too.

I do think you would be better off finding a cheaper bike for commuting purposes, unless you plan to use it for more than commuting.

• Member Contributer

Yes, we have quite liberal rules on converting off-road bikes for use on the road here.  What I had originally wanted to do was buy a big 2-stroke enduro for use in the "ultra low emissions zone" (I've seen a street-registered KTM 300--it was manufactured after 2008, so it qualifies!), but the small matter of them being essentially unrideable on the road put me off.  The Honda CRF450X is actually the "reasonable" option. 

My commute is quite short and intense (by that I mean it includes lane-splitting on narrow urban roads most of the way), and I don't usually ride every day, so an otherwise impractical bike can work.  A supermoto or motard should fit the bill.  Short rides elsewhere would be possible, and it would be easy to pop it in the van.

Wheels are expensive...but I don't like spokes.  We'll see what comes up on the bay of E.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Only thing I've read about putting converted supermotos on the road is the maintenance that comes along with it, and having to gear it tall so it does ok on the freeways.

I've seen some people just take an R6/600RR front end and stick it in the front. Not sure about the back though.

• Member Contributer

Thanks.  What has me slightly concerned is that these engines are so highly strung that their maintenance schedule is measured in hours, rather than miles!  I should probably just assume any bike I do get is going to need a rebuild soon...

Saw a nice one today, but it's too far away (and has wire wheels, but they would work for the moment):

5a6a33b97da68_CRF450X(2013)fromCardiffsoldforUKP3250(maybe)-1.thumb.jpg.a7fefbac872118b0db9fb9ce3bd7cf1d.jpg5a6a33c0d911f_CRF450X(2013)fromCardiffsoldforUKP3250(maybe)-2.thumb.jpg.a5726d4c3b2af1c9a0ea8950e1cba4bd.jpg5a6a33c72e10d_CRF450X(2013)fromCardiffsoldforUKP3250(maybe)-3.thumb.jpg.3b5a54753c7a4febab14b5e8caf45fd5.jpg5a6a33c965420_CRF450X(2013)fromCardiffsoldforUKP3250(maybe)-4.thumb.jpg.fbf16edd377c3132feaabd5b9f8225bb.jpg5a6a33cf9e49c_CRF450X(2013)fromCardiffsoldforUKP3250(maybe)-5.thumb.jpg.86d5130848689133afabc2e2c70c4db4.jpg5a6a33d2649a9_CRF450X(2013)fromCardiffsoldforUKP3250(maybe)-6.thumb.jpg.4ea02e8da68a58d6e41e53f100c9a0eb.jpg

The listing was also ended within 24 hours, so maybe it was a good deal!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Well, I know I now seem like a huge flake...but the CRF is dead to me now. 

For I have heard this:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bRny_VycbaY

Why bother with converting an enduro to a supermoto, when I can just buy a supermoto that sounds like that?  I do like my Hondas, but then I already own another Aprilia, so it's not like I'm buying a Kawasaki or something...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

If you think that the CRF was going to be high maintenance, then the SXV is going to be even more insane. I'm watching two on salvaged just in case they go cheap, but it's something stupid like a 500 mile or 5 hour oil change requirement, and engine rebuilds are $2k each time and need to be done every 50 hours. They are full on race engines and supposedly require maintenance to match.

But they are still cool and sexy AF :wub:

DRZ-SM, SV650, CRF230-SM, think kawi made a small SM. All these should be reasonable. KTM 390 Duke?

• Member Contributer

I've been reading that it's really only the raced ones that really need that kind of maintenance, but these bikes got a horrible reputation because of massive problems with the early models.  (Not quite V-due massive, but recalls and replaced engines were required.  Those problems should mainly have been fixed by now, but I need a 2008-2011 model anyway, to qualify for the ULEZ exemption.  

Forget "reasonable".  Oh.  That.  Sound.  

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Yeah. Head gaskets or head sealant. That doesn't really scare me about it since its known and understood and sorted. But still think the maintenance is high for street use.

Forgot about the SXV. Sexiest SM ever. I'd love to play with one on a kart track.

What about that Husky? I think it was the SM610? Been years since I really looked at SMs, but I think I remember that being a desirable one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I probably would have been with you on that, but I'm going to have a hard time riding a thumper after hearing that SXV (any SXV, really).  It doesn't remind me so much of the sound of the first time I heard a VFR with a TBR slip-on, but it does remind me of the feeling I had when I heard it.

Now I have to find one for sale...and find someplace to put it!

Ciao,

I can certainly get behind your reasoning. I'm surprised more haven't been built like it. I would think the twin setup would be overall more desirable for SMs.

• Member Contributer

Aprilia Dorsoduro?

Aprilia Shiver?

Aprilia Mana 850 GT?

All seem to fit your initial requirements and are reasonable to ride beyond your commute. 

• Member Contributer

I'm not going to convert anyone, I know.  There are a dozen practical reasons why I should get something else (or just not get anything), and only a few reasons why I should get an SXV (none of which are especially practical).  If I do get one, I'll be sure to let y'all know how it goes.  There is supposedly a good SXV tuner in the UK somewhere, so at least I won't be on my own with the finicky bastard...

I've noticed that there are few SXVs for sale in the UK, but many more seem to be available in Italy, France, Spain, Switzerland and Germany.  That makes sense, because supermoto has always been more of a Continental thing.  I can probably handle obtaining information and negotiations in Germany and Switzerland, but not France or Spain.  Conveniently for me, however, my brother-in-law is also a rider and he's as Italian as they come...  I've never managed to actually buy a vehicle in Italy, but with his help it may be do-able.

Checking sites like www.subito.it and www.theparking-motorcycle.co.uk shows quite a lot of eligible candidates--from a 2008 in Salerno for €2,000, on up.  Having family in Bologna, I could drive my van down over two days, one weekend, fly back for work, fly to Italy on a subsequent weekend, buy the bike, pop it in the van and drive home.  Easy peasy!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I’ve always thought the bikes would be the ultimate ADV machine. If they detuned tgem, maybe the things would stay together. I would think they’d be smoother and more enjoyable than riding a thumper around the world. 

The Dorso is a lot bigger than a dirt bike, if super light and narrow is what he was after. Shiver, basically the same. The Mana is a scooter.

Nothing wrong with buying something for the visceral thrills if you're willing to put in the extra time and, probably, money. I'd just do the research to figure out if it's going to cost a small fortune to run or mostly just extra time.

Yamaha MT09 is closer to a SM than any of the aprilias mentioned. 185kgs wet, 110hp, and feels as narrow as a single when you sit on it.

Not quite as tall as a motard - I'd love to add fork extensions and jack up plates to mine to get an extra 50mm.

A versys 650 has less attitude than an SM, but is also quite nimble for what it is. Strip it down and it would feel like a lightweight motard.

Back to motards..

tried and true DRZ400 SM? I loved mine (flatslide, open airbox and pipe).

Traded up to a KTM640SM which was a DRZ on steroids.

• Member Contributer

The new little Yamaha MT-07 has a 270 crank....  It is 400lb wet and has a stout little motor that could be pepped up...but nothing like the SVX.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the opinions, guys; I appreciate it!  My new contract has me working very long days, so I'm not sure when I can think about taking the next step.  

Ciao,

You know I speak perfect Spanish, spend time in SE Spain and may be returning there "permanently" some time this year. Have good MC buddies all over Spain. Anything I can do just shout!

Best mate's brother in Valencia used to ride motards... and he (my buddy) does all the maintenance on virtually all our MC mates' bikes, his brother's included so he should be a mine of information...

• Member Contributer

Oh, yes!  Ask your mates to keep an eye out for a (non-raced) SXV550 for me, will ya?  But I saw one in Italy that's got less than 8k (Km) and IS STILL RESTRICTED.  Do I want that one?  Yes, I do...

Ciao,

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Done!

20180512_114457x.thumb.jpg.6df8c997bada0cb92f1baf5c71be7b77.jpg

Expensively found in Wales last week; retrieved in the action van yesterday.  It's a 2008 SXV550, mainly stock, but with an Arrow titanium underbutt exhaust (i.e., holycrap-loud).  I'm actually considering buying an OEM underbutt exhaust for it--not so much for placating the neighbors, but to limit the shattered-window bills I'm going to have to pay.  (A few weeks ago I bought an Arrow titanium dual underseat system for it (same as the one in the Youtube video I posted above), but this is currently at a friend's house in California, awaiting my next trip.  That, too, is a loud exhaust, but at least it comes with removable baffles, which apparently can make it almost "acceptably" loud.)  The engine in this bike has been recently re-sealed, but coolant in the oil is always a risk with these bikes, so fingers crossed.  I've only test-ridden it, but wow, what a beast!  It really makes you want to do bad things...

Thanks for everyone's input above, but now the quest has been fulfilled, so no more of this Aprilia nonsense in a VFR forum!

Ciao,

Archived