Lost Keys

ClockworkOwl

So I've searched around and have found a couple other threads about lost keys and what to do but I'm not exactly in the same position as the other people.

Bought the bike a year ago and really haven't ridden it much due to life etc. I got back into it hardcore in November and am on the thing every opportunity. When I bought it, it only came with 1 key and even though I should have known better and copied it asap, I kept putting it off. LOOOOONG story short, the original key is lost and gone forever.

I can hotwire it but I have about zero gas in it - Not enough to get it to a shop or a locksmith.

I can call a locksmith but I'd rather not dump the money if I don't have to plus I have a hectic life right now and don't want to deal with a service call at my house if I don't have to.

I've heard that just taking the ignition in will work and they can cut a new key either by key code or by measuring tumblers but I've also heard removing the ignition is a biotch.

Can I somehow get the key code off the ignition without messing with security torx bolts?

Can I leave it relatively intact and engineer a way to get a glimpse of the code?

And finally a side question: Will the ignition key code definitely work on the seat lock and the tank (assuming they are all original locks)?

Nope, looks like whatever is stamped on the side of my ignition is not a valid Honda key code.

What I found was number/letter/letter

Not sure what it is if not the code... but it WAS way easier to find so it must not be it. This code is on the right side of the ignition below bridge facing to the right.

• Member Contributer

The ignition key will work the others but if you get a key cut that works these it will not work in the ignition.There is a code on the barrel of the ignition that you need I think 7 didgits .

Not a lot of response on your request but don't let that run you off. Things are quiet this time of year. I haven't lost a key (yet) but appreciate that you followed up on your  thread here. Too often when I'm looking, I find dead end threads. I now know to look for a seven digit code at least.

4 hours ago, Sweeper said:

Not a lot of response on your request but don't let that run you off.

Better this way than most other motorcycle sites.    I much prefer that people don't post if they don't know an answer or cant contribute relevant information.  

On most other sites this would have devolved into some meme thread or commentary on owning a bike with only one key available three days ago.

Archived