Day rides in the Phoenix area?

RobF

• Member Contributer

I will be in Phoenix next week for a few days with the family. I'm thinking of renting a bike, probably from these guys:

http://azride.com

...and then going on a couple day trips. Anybody in the area have a route or destination they would recommend? Something a few hours long, with some twists and turns and a good place to eat along the way would be ideal.

Hi Rob,

Here is another day ride you may like on the east side.  It's referred to as the Tortilla Flats Ride, well....because it goes to Tortilla Flats!!  It's easy out and easy back.  From Apache Junction take North Apache Trail Ste Rte 88 north to Canyon Lake.  Continue on Ste Rte 88 to Tortilla Flats.  Eat and drink there and return the same route.  You will get plenty of twisties on this ride as soon as you get out of Apache Junction. 

Ste Rte 88 continues past Tortilla Flats to Roosevelt Lake (named after Theodore), however it's just a few miles past Tortilla Flats that the pavement ends.  From there it is a very long rough dirt road, not suited for a street bike rental.  If you are going to rent an adventure bike then you might want to go to the big Roosevelt Lake.  Otherwise this is an out and back, not a round robin, but makes for a nice day ride for lunch and miles and miles of desert scenery.

If you were interested in going to Roosevelt Lake, it would be best to head north on the Bee Line Highway (Ste Rte 87) from Scottsdale/Fountain Hills, and pickup Ste Rte 188 which goes down south to the lake and is paved.

• Member Contributer

Its been around 15 years ago, but riding into the Superstition Mountains, running on the north/south road 191, meandering into New Mexico, by Silver City with the HUGE mine pit and then going North on 180 was a great ride. - I had a buddy living in Phoenix and I rented a Valkyrie for the trip.. -- I cant connect all the dots, but going by the border on one side and coming back on the other was good fun. It was kinda in the high plains and windy as all get out. First time I ever saw wind fences. 

Also of course the desert was hot, hot, hot. 

Archived