Lowering front end

On 2018-01-30 at 10:43 PM, JZH said:

Did you do the work yourself?  Nearly all bikes with similar suspension configurations are lowered by increasing the length of the dogbone, and raised by decreasing it.  I know I have the measurement somewhere for the Thurn linkage, but I can't find it now.  

[NEW STUFF]

Okay, I re-installed my Tony Foale software just for this purpose (haven't used it for a while).  Just look at the "Rocker and link" section in the images below for the moment.

RC36-I OEM linkage (I think that's the right measurement, but it doesn't have to be to illustrate the point):

5a7255a0f054e_RC36-IIRearSuspension-1.GIF.de5e8dcdbd4c44f3f0de6cf45cc82f6b.GIF

The tyre is flat on the floor.

RC36-I with 10mm shortened linkage:

5a7255e869577_RC36-IIRearSuspension-2.GIF.712195391d7597eddb852e904964694b.GIF

The tyre is now below the floor, which obviously cannot happen, so it really means the bike is raised by ~34mm with a 10mm shorter link.

RC36-I with 10mm extended linkage:

5a725611f2b31_RC36-IIRearSuspension-3.GIF.ba1286d98cd09c34f13e148610acfb01.GIF

And similarly here, the bike actually gets lowered by ~34mm with a 10mm longer link.

(The dogbone we're talking about is the green bit.)

Ciao,

Give me that software!!! 

Does it have the calculations for the front fork also? How does the stats look compared to standard vs fork tubes raised 10mm through triple clamps? ? 

• Member Contributer

Sorry, I can't give it to you--it's fully locked down software.  I have to get a new code from the author (Tony Foale himself) each time I switch computers/change the hard disk, etc.  I think it costs €99 from https://www.tonyfoale.com/  It has many features; I've only scratched the surface of its capabilities.  One reason for that is that I don't think my measuring techniques are accurate and repeatable enough, but another is a lack of time to experiment and then test.  But it is a good tool to have available if you do a bit of fiddling...

Capture.GIF.25829e9881e3ef48999f9e82e02b67cc.GIF

Ciao,

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

It's been a while since I've had stock forks, but that looks like 10mm from the top of tube.  The OEM location is not to the top of the tube, but to the ring groove (which should have a snap ring in it to prevent the clip-ons from coming off inadvertently).  So, I think you've only lowered the bike about 6mm?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I sure would like to figure a way to strap down the forks on my 5th Gen for when I'm drag racing. The LBS components get in the way of how it's commonly done.

Archived