Kind of a newbie

manoil

• Member Contributer

Just bought a 2005 gen 6 with 48k, last bike was a Guzzi Breva 1100, my son has a 98 gen 5 with same mileage so reasonably familiar with them.

Th new bike has a clutch issue, in that it makes a bit of a racket at idle until you pull in clutch lever, then quietens down. Have new plates and EBC springs on order for a strip down at weekend.

Looking forward to finding out what makes the viffer run sweet and any mods(cheap I hope) that make the experience better.

• Member Contributer

Welcome,

The clutch pack rattle is pretty normal for the Vfrr. When you strip down the clutch to replace the plates and springs inspect the baskets as they can wear and be badly grooved, which can also make the rattle worse. If worn badly, be aware they are expensive to replace! A slipper clutch might be an alternative but I think there is only one company that makes them and again they are expensive.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Thanks Maroon, I take it a slipper clutch is a full scale changeover? will do an internet search, have had to clean up baskets with indents before so was kind of expecting that to be part of issue as well. just waiting for the parts and break in the weather to get it done.

• Member Contributer

I don't know any direct swaps off the top of my head. I know one of the CBR slippers from one brand will swap with some work onto a 4th gen.  No idea about 5th or later.

• Member Contributer

My 04 VFR (42k) came with a power commander PC3USB and a generic map. Loaded the cozy map and it made a huge difference. Very smooth over the entire rpm range, with only a slight VTEC kick around 6800 rpms.

Clutch is almost silent when pulled in. Had a problem where occasionally, when taking off in first gear, the bike would buck like a wild horse. Had to flush and bleed the fluid, and it is fixed now.

Here on the forum I read a lot about the electrical problems. Haven't experienced any problems yet, but I did take off the fairings, inspected all the connectors, incl. the ones next to the battery, and cleaned them.

Suspension could be better, but will do for my mostly highway commute.

• Member Contributer

opened up the clutch and replaced friction plates with new EBC springs and put on a new push rod bearing and fresh Shell advance Ultra 10w40 oil, clutch is a little quieter and silent when clutch lever is pulled or above 2500rpm so not gonna lose sleep over it.

My ears are telling me it could benefit from throttle body (Starter valve) sync so that will be next.

Would love to try a PC3 USB but at >£300 new or close to £200 second hand are a bit out of reach at moment

Archived