Complete brake failure on a VFR800 5Gen

autopilotone

Check out this guy's experience of complete brake failure on a VFR800 5Gen.

Below is an abstract for the brake failure and a good reminder for us all.

"The simple reason for the brake failure was that the hydraulic fluid had boiled resulting in zero pressure to force pads against discs. Contaminated brake fluid (I’ve not changed the fluid during my period of ownership, nor do I know if it’s ever been done during its ten years in action) was the simple reason behind the artery-flushing experience. Because it had absorbed so much water, the fluid was unable to deal with the massive heat the repeated braking had generated."

https://ciamotorcycleblog.wordpress.com/tag/vfr800/

• Member Contributer

Scary story but definitely avoidable given the nature of his actions over the course of the day.

Lets hope that advertised dealer did a thorough flush before he added that DOT 5 :comp13:

• Member Contributer

And they put DOT 5 (FIVE!!!!!!!!) in?????

Did he take it to a HD dealer??? :unsure:

4 yes

5.1 yes

5 no!!!

• Member Contributer

I'm going to assume that he doesn't really know what brake fluid grade they put in or what the difference between them is for that matter. It doesn't seem that this is a person who is mechanically inclined.

23 hours ago, YoshiHNS said:

I wonder if he neglects his oil and tires too. Or for that matter, when did he last flush his clutch fluid?

He did change the oil in 2011 apparently:

" However as it’s been such a long time such I got my hands dirty, doing the work caused quite a bit of physical strain, not to mention a slightly fuller swearbox!  I’d forgotten just how flexible you need to be to wield a spanner with any sort of skill. Access to fairing fasteners and drain plugs requires gymnastic-levels of contortion which my older framework struggles to achieve these days, especially without a work bench."

no mention since then

DOT 4, DOT 5, DOT 6... whatever it takes.

It's one thing to skip maintenance, that's not smart of course but it takes a lot more commitment to ignore the brake fade that comes before losing your brakes entirely.  Boiling fluid probably caused drag also which should have been noticeable.

• Member Contributer

Not to nitpick, but mixing DOT 4, DOT 5, DOT 6 could be a real issue. DOT 5 is silicon based brake fluid and will not mix

with any of the other fluids. It will clump and possibly cause issues. That's why it was mentioned about DOT 5 earlier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Funny enough. Harley recalling a TON of bikes for brake fluid. 

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/harley-davidson-brake-bleeding-recall/

I think part of it is that they use two different grades of brake fluid for the clutch and brake, or the front is different than the rear, and that perhaps even some dealerships may have mixed them up. If that's true, then you will have some serious consequences. But it's pretty stupid from the start to require two different grades of fluid that aren't compatible on the same bike.

Archived