I say:

Pain tolerance / management is the bottom line for riding old pharts. :491:

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Phillis Diller said it best:

Getting old is not for sissies.

I say:

Pain tolerance / management is the bottom line for riding old pharts. :491:

So true but so is good body position on the bike.  Pain will make one learn better body position.   

• Member Contributer

Old enough to know better,

young enough not to care...

as.jpg.e9c10073d4a5062738bca5224911e96c.jpg.b8cffcbb03bc68856b1995b758841d40.jpg

And yes, I have grey hairs,,,,

large.IMG_9645.JPG.1ab1c82f6a959bd13727bbde65442111.thumb.JPG.bc61fef9a99eb34e2e90ae98250eef6f.JPG

At age 66, I succumbed to the allure of Gen-Mar risers and NEP cruise control on my gen 5.  I'll keep the stock seat until they have to pry it out of my cold, dead ass though.

• Member Contributer

At 68 I feel lucky I can still ride with the OEM setup.

And I owe it all to my early adoption of the Peter Pan Plan:

Never Grow Up. :wheel:

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, brun said:

until they have to pry it out of my cold, dead ass though.

IMAG9613.thumb.jpg.9566a818e207fce8f64e4f8031fe2f5e.jpg

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

I know what you're sayin' Max. People keep telling me I am too old for this but

I can't see what the deal is. Actually it is always people who have never owned 

or ridden a bike. I am about to go with a bunch in April on a bike pilgrimage to

Chicago and back. I will let you know if I have to turn in my spurs when it is over.

• Member Contributer

You go, Eagle Six. I wish I were in Arizona, we two 72 year olds could heat up some road together.

The difference between older and younger riders is that older ones are less prone to do stupid things.

:sleep: So i was parking  my VFR at a grocery store last year, just taking off my helmet, when a young boy and his father walked by, and the kid sez to pop, "can OLD MEN ride motorcycles too?".

3 hours ago, Dutchy said:

IMAG9613.thumb.jpg.9566a818e207fce8f64e4f8031fe2f5e.jpg

:goofy:

Great. I don't have to just go with my own mental image, which was bad enough, but not as graphic.

Thanks fer nothing Dutchy. LMAO.  :tongue:

1 hour ago, squirrelman said:

:sleep: So i was parking  my VFR at a grocery store last year, just taking off my helmet, when a young boy and his father walked by, and the kid sez to pop, "can OLD MEN ride motorcycles too?".

Hell yes! :beer:

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

At 68 I feel lucky I can still ride with the OEM setup.

And I owe it all to my early adoption of the Peter Pan Plan:

Never Grow Up. :wheel:

Ha... I may grow OLD but I refuse to grow UP! .

that being said I have modified the Viffer for more comfort. higher bars, softer seat for my ageing posterior. and I am relatively young.

17 hours ago, wrestler said:

You go, Eagle Six. I wish I were in Arizona, we two 72 year olds could heat up some road together.

The difference between older and younger riders is that older ones are less prone to do stupid things.

Yes I agree, but I do reserve the right to be stupid once in a while, because I still have this 22 year old gray matter between my ears!!! 

• Member Contributer

I'd kind of like to have a sit-up bike with a position like an old Triumph, or even a UJM from the 70's or 80's. But man those new ones

are just too ugly. Way too industrial, and all sharp edges and angles to my way of thinking. Bikes should be good to look at as well as

ride and those are just not pretty. They may work very well, but low on the scale of good looks. I wouldn't turn and look back at them

when I walked away, like I do with my road bikes. But just my opinion of course.

There are plenty of retro bikes coming out now that don't have all the sharp angles. XSR900 and Scrambler come to mind. The current Bonneville looks pretty much like a restomod of the original. Moto Guzzi still has some round headlights.

I hope to be able to even ride at some of your ages. I'm 30 and didn't even feel like sitting in my truck yesterday with my back pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bike attracts they eye of many young ladies. I know this because I've seen the horror  in their eyes when my helmet comes off. :goofy:

I'll be 59 next month and hope to still be going in fifteen years.

• Member Contributer

One of the great things about being ancient is the look in the LEO's eyes when you pull your helmet

off after doing something a bit silly, and getting caught at it. You just know they figure they caught

some young hooligan. lol

I'll be 69 this summer, so I've only been riding for about 55 years. :beer: One of my favorite shirt

sayings: "You're only young once, but you can be immature forever".

• Member Contributer

Almost 69 here.  Pulled away from an intersection one night on my Duc 999 and the car behind me was coming up a little fast so I twisted the wrist a bit and put him way back fast,

I realized my mistake when the flashing blues came on.  As he was walking up to the bike I took off my helmet, all he did was give a surpressed grin and said "93 mph, don't be an asshole"

and left.  There are times when being grey has some reward,

2 hours ago, bykemike said:

Almost 69 here.  Pulled away from an intersection one night on my Duc 999 and the car behind me was coming up a little fast so I twisted the wrist a bit and put him way back fast,

I realized my mistake when the flashing blues came on.  As he was walking up to the bike I took off my helmet, all he did was give a surpressed grin and said "93 mph, don't be an asshole"

and left.  There are times when being grey has some reward,

He profiled you right there :goofy:

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

One of the great things about being ancient is the look in the LEO's eyes when you pull your helmet

off after doing something a bit silly, and getting caught at it. You just know they figure they caught

some young hooligan. lol

I'll be 69 this summer, so I've only been riding for about 55 years. :beer: One of my favorite shirt

sayings: "You're only young once, but you can be immature forever".

I've experienced the Gray Hair effect many times. The LEO expects to punish a young punk. Instead they are facing their father. It blows their whole routine.

While riding home from the Third SumSum I filled my tank  and headed out to the next town 13 miles away. Half way there I spead up to pass a car doing about 50 mph. I continued on until I got to a sign at the 13 mile mark. I checked my mirrors to see if I'd possibly be out-braking any one behind me. What do I see but a black and white with red and blue flashing lights. I pull over immediately, park the bike and remove my helmet while the LEO positions his squad to protect us from following traffic. When he steps out, he has a big grin on his face and asks me how I'm doing. I tell him I'm rather chagrined, not having spotted him earlier. Then I asked him how long he'd been behind me? (I ment withj his lights flashing.) He said he'd been behind me since I left the previous town. He responded that "I'd been doing fine until I passed that car."  I finished his sentence saying "and I never slowed down."  

I explained I'd been so focused on my riding while at the same time doing long division in my head to figure out my gas mileage. He told me to slow down and take it easy.

I could go on about other encounters but the bottom line is I've been excused from my actions a quite a bit in my 200,000 miles of riding. And I am not complaining!:ph34r:

Archived