VFR 800 F - Development story

Kwee69

• Member Contributer

Why not just ride the bike?  If you like it, get it, if you don't like it, don't get it.  So hard......

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, Kwee69 said:

Who are speaking to ?

Kwee....can you change the colour of your font, it's almost impossible to read. Likewise with the quotes that come out in white.  :beer:

14 hours ago, Kwee69 said:

Nope :/

Vfr 2014   Inlet  Open 15 BTDC , Close 30 ABDC   ,    Exhaust    Open 35 BBDC, Close  10 ATDC .

V fr 2005  Inlet  Open 12 BTDC, Close 30 ABDC    .  Exhaust    Open 35 BBDC,   Close 10 ATDC.

To increase overlap, you have to RETARD the EXHAUST, and/or ADVANCE the INTAKE.
To reduce overlap, you have to ADVANCE the EXHAUST, and/or RETARD the INTAKE.

Simple cam tuning rules for NATURALLY ASPIRATED engines:

* Advancing both cams => more low-RPM power, less high-RPM power
* Retarding both cams => more high-RPM power, less low-RPM power
* Less overlap => more low-RPM power, less high-RPM power
* More overlap => more high-RPM power, less low-RPM power"

I'm yet to see stock 8 gen dynos with hp near high nineties. 6th gen has plenty of those dynos online.

Also: from Cycle World: "The revised engine tuning has slightly softened output up near peak revs, though, causing the new Interceptor’s 138-mph top speed to be several clicks slower than its predecessor’s."

https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/16/2014-honda-vfr800f-interceptor-sportbike-motorcycle-review-photos-specifications-performance-numbers#page-3

• Member Contributer

No shit Sherolock!

My 1986 VF500F2 does 123MPH (on GPS).......

But, the 8th gen is classy looking bike.... :beer:

1 hour ago, Tiutis said:

I'm yet to see stock 8 gen dynos with hp near high nineties. 6th gen has plenty of those dynos online.

Also: from Cycle World: "The revised engine tuning has slightly softened output up near peak revs, though, causing the new Interceptor’s 138-mph top speed to be several clicks slower than its predecessor’s."

https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/16/2014-honda-vfr800f-interceptor-sportbike-motorcycle-review-photos-specifications-performance-numbers#page-3

I see 141 mph GPS from a motorcycle magazine.

Honda claims top speed is (150 mph)242 km/h for the 8 Gen.

138 mph = 222 km/h, 141 mph = 227 km/h. I push mine at 145 mph(gps) = 233 km/h.

Not much difference here.

The VFR 800 F they tested seems to be very conservative(93 hp)

Höchstgeschwindigkeit = top speed

Screenshot_20180120-184018.png

On 20/01/2018 at 9:00 PM, Tiutis said:

I wonder if anyone has compared the header design of the 8 gen vs 6 to look for any differences?

Exhaust system is slighly different same and have only one o2 sensor vs two for the VFR 800 VTEC.

Water pump case is the same but the propeller have a different design.(i broke the water pump case and replace it with a VFR 800 Fi case because the part was not available until three months)

Intake funnel have a different design

Camshaft intake is different, Camshaft exhaust is the same.

Cylinder head have a different design.(More static compression)

Apparently the alternaltor and the RR have been changed. Don't know more. He is now on the front of the bike. You can saw it behind the headlight(not on the photo)

The piston, liner have been changed.

Most of the parts are plug and play with the VTEC.

20171124_120657.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Tiutis said:

I wonder if anyone has compared the header design of the 8 gen vs 6 to look for any differences?

Oh fuck don’t start that conversation again.  Please :computer-noworky::beatdeadhorse:

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Dutchy said:

No shit Sherolock!

My 1986 VF500F2 does 123MPH (on GPS).......

But, the 8th gen is classy looking bike.... :beer:

LOL!!!!!    Everybody knows the VFR is a drag racer......LOL!!!

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Kwee69 said:

Exhaust system is the same but only one o2 sensor vs two for the VFR 800 VTEC.(so basically you can swap it and plug a screw in the hole)

Water pump case is the same but the propeller have a different design.(i broke the water pump case and replace it with a VFR 800 Fi case because the part was not available until three months)

Intake funnel have a different design

Camshaft intake is different, Camshaft exhaust is the same.

Cylinder head have a different design.(More static compression)

Apparently the alternaltor and the RR have been changed. Don't know more. He is now on the front of the bike. You can saw it behind the headlight(not on the photo)

The piston, liner have been changed.

Most of the parts are plug and play with the VTEC.

20171124_120657.jpg

Kwee69. Why on earth have you stripped your 2017 to such a degree????????

15 hours ago, Grum said:

Kwee69. Why on earth have you stripped your 2017 to such a degree????????

I had a accident, not much damage but somes parts was not available. So i had time to repaint the fairing.

20171024_192309.jpg

20171020_141947.jpg

20171231_155543.jpg

20171124_154002.jpg

20171017_184209.jpg

20171017_180334.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sorry about your accident Kwee - hope you didn't get hurt.

FWIW, according to zeroto60times.com the 8th gen is 4 tenths of a second quicker to 60 mph than the 6th gen, but it's a tenth slower to reach the quarter mile.  This would tend to corroborate Honda's claim that they improved low end power.

IMG_3485.thumb.PNG.d08e25754aca87b3abfe06775fc4f516.PNG

https://www.zeroto60times.com/?s=Honda+Interceptor

3 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

FWIW, according to zeroto60times.com the 8th gen is 4 tenths of a second quicker to 60 mph than the 6th gen, but it's a tenth slower to reach the quarter mile.  This would tend to corroborate Honda's claim that they improved low end power.

Thanks i'm ok but my girl keep somes scares. Don't worry, she still like motorcycles and the VFR as well.  Our knee was blocked under the motorcycle. That's why the VFR still look good, prevent more damage, i had kneepads but not her. 

I don't find any informations on quarter miles for the 8 Gen other than your website. I don't think it's from Honda.

• Member Contributer
On 1/23/2018 at 6:16 AM, GatorGreg said:

In what context does this really matter and the numbers come from some website?  How about spending the same amount of time and energy improving rider capabilities?  Then the times matter even less......just sayin'........   How many people go from zero to "fast", how often and why?

I think that the times help show Hondas point with the 8th gen Interceptor.....it's got a little more bottom end grunt to lower the 0-60 times while giving up a small bit in the 1/4 mile. Besides I like to see the numbers just to verify my own seat of the pants impression on my new 2014 vs my previous 2006 model. When the bench racing starts its also good to have something to base you're claims on, as I do a lot more 0-60 speed runs than 1/4 mile here in crowded So Cal. The small changes help make the 8th gen  Interceptor just a little more fun to me.   

On 18/01/2018 at 5:19 PM, fink said:

Vfr 2014   Inlet  Open 15 BTDC , Close 30 ABDC   ,    Exhaust    Open 35 BBDC, Close  10 ATDC .

V fr 2005  Inlet  Open 12 BTDC, Close 30 ABDC    .  Exhaust    Open 35 BBDC,   Close 10 ATDC.

VFR 800 : 2014 - 2017

Inlet : Open 15 BTDC, Close 30 ABDC  

Exhaust : Open 35 BBDC, Close 10 ATDC

VFR 800 VTEC(2002 - 2013)

Inlet : Open 12 BTDC, Close 33 ABDC 

Exhaust : Open 35 BBDC, Close 10 ATDC

Corrected. Same duration but more overlap on the 8 Gen.

For comparison :

VFR 800 FI(1998-2001) 

Inlet : Open 10 BTDC, Close 35 ABDC 

Exhaust : Open 35 BBDC, Close 10 ATDC

Screenshot_20180128-164751.png

Screenshot_20180128-164247.png

20180128_171944.png

20180128_171917.png

Screenshot_20180128-175443.png

20180128_175652.png

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, fink said:

Come on then explain it in English.

Agree. Bloody hell, and I got canned for just stating the 8gen Hi beam headlight relay wiring was wrong!

Just ride it and post pictures of interesting scenery with the bike in the shot. Tell the story of the ride.

A few ponies here and couple of Newton metres there, much of a muchness. The biggest improvements on the new gen would be front mounting radiator and no more Kentucky fried stators.

I can ride your bike faster and I haven't even tested one yet.

3 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

Just ride it and post pictures of interesting scenery with the bike in the shot. Tell the story of the ride.

A few ponies here and couple of Newton metres there, much of a muchness. The biggest improvements on the new gen would be front mounting radiator and no more Kentucky fried stators.

I can ride your bike faster and I haven't even tested one yet.

Sure but this can be use for improve other VFR as well. 

For now, i'm looking for advance ignition map(i know where i can find them). The only thing i know is the VFR 800 VTEC and VFR 800 Fi have the same idle advance(which is 15°C before BTDC), on the VFR 800 F the advance at idle is 8,3°.

Screenshot_20180129-131552.png

Screenshot_20180129-131906.png

Screenshot_20180129-132231.png

• Member Contributer

Kwee you should look into Rapid Bike modules, I've got the Evo on mine and have left in the "self-learning mode", noticeable improvement in pick up and low down power 

The Race version allows you to alter the fuel and ignition maps plus various other things, autoblipper, raise rev limit, etc

The units were in a group buy at VFRworld.com, Randy was the driving force behind it, unfortunately I missed it but got a good price on it from the UK importers 

The wiring harness that comes with it is the best aftermarket I've seen, all plugs labelled, highly recommended and of course you can just unplug it when you part with the bike

1 hour ago, Thumbs said:

Kwee you should look into Rapid Bike modules, I've got the Evo on mine and have left in the "self-learning mode", noticeable improvement in pick up and low down power 

The Race version allows you to alter the fuel and ignition maps plus various other things, autoblipper, raise rev limit, etc

The units were in a group buy at VFRworld.com, Randy was the driving force behind it, unfortunately I missed it but got a good price on it from the UK importers 

The wiring harness that comes with it is the best aftermarket I've seen, all plugs labelled, highly recommended and of course you can just unplug it when you part with the bike

Nice i will take a look ?

Archived