I could not ride today because ...

MaxSwell

• Member Contributer

I could not ride today because it was so cold

that when I went to the mailbox to post a letter and then, realizing I had not sealed the envelope, when I licked the flap it was welded to my tongue. I had to wait outside for the carrier to rip the envelope from my face.

It was so cold I had to shut the window on my home office by 4 PM today. :goofy:

You Minnesota guys knew what effing cold you were getting into when you signed up.

Oh sure, play the I was born here card. Why have you not moved away from winter? I did. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Here in Oz I have the opposite problem 36 deg cel and high nineties humidity, makes wearing protective gear like having a sauna? Give me the cold anyday as long as it’s not icey on the roads.

2CBA9743-987B-42EC-AE52-2915B9DBDC5F.jpeg

I went to jump on the tigress to commute home last night and noticed all the salt on the pavement. I had noticed it was nippy (do they say nippy because your nipples harden?).

I thought damn it's going to snow again?

Got home, locked bike right below my flat window as always and then notice the flurries in the lamplights. No, not the MacDonald kind.

White mantle this AM which hopefully won't stick. Appears to be melting as I write. 0964fb533215f368a66003d15a0bc6c7.jpg

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

I went to jump on the tigress to commute home last night and noticed all the salt on the pavement. I had noticed it was nippy (do they say nippy because your nipples harden?).

I think I can explain...Nippy is when it is so cold you want to take a nip from the flask to help warm up.  Nipply is when it is so cold that the nipples harden (see picture in quoted post for example).

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

MaxSwell, I know you saw this coming when you posted the topic. Took this photo yesterday, Big Sur.

IMG_3680.JPG

Wish I was there in the biggest way. Thanks a lot. :excl:

• Member Contributer

Do/did we not have a member from Siberia, Russia who would apply a propage torch to the oil sump before starting his VFR????

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 1/18/2018 at 6:52 AM, YoshiHNS said:

Phew. Thought that it was going to be another "I went deer hunting" thread.

I don't blame you on that one. But I've given up deer hunting. I'm glad your thought was wrong.

BTW: That's a Most Impressive quiver of machines you have there. Must be hard to constantly chose which to ride. Eeeny Meeny Miiney Mo?

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

BTW: That's a Most Impressive quiver of machines you have there. Must be hard to constantly chose which to ride. Eeeny Meeny Miiney Mo?

Most of them are rotting away, awaiting the decade when I'll get to work on and enjoy them

• Member Contributer
On 2/10/2018 at 9:09 PM, YoshiHNS said:

Most of them are rotting away, awaiting the decade when I'll get to work on and enjoy them

I can relate to that. I've a history of good intentions with wrecks/restoration left to rot. The first was a restoration of our once family car, a 1931 Ford Model A. Now it's a couple of partial fifth gens waiting to be combined. My infamous motto: Never do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

"What is your plan for today?"

"Nothing"

"Was that not your plan for yesterday?"

"Yes but I didnot finish that.."

IMG-20180211-WA0005.thumb.jpg.0093c872c4d10bfb689e0e28378ab7cb.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Maxwell, how long does it take to install chains on your wheels?  Does that affect the ride quality much?  Cornering still good?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Bent said:

Maxwell, how long does it take to install chains on your wheels?  Does that affect the ride quality much?  Cornering still good?

Up here in the frozen tundra we use studs. Stick like glue even on frozen lakes. The only issue is the chewed up roads but they're not much worse than the pot holes.

(There was one winter where I made every Last Thursday Of The Month bike night at a local pizza joint. So it's not always rough up here.)

So have you Down South'ers and Out West'ers have air conditioned riding suits for regular daily summer riding. And the Gulf Coast'ers use wet suits when the hurricanes arrive?  

Off Topic: I once owned a Triumph TR8 (four wheels - 3.5 L alum. V8). On that one I did use chains. Made for great over-steering. 

Archived