8 Gen Sargent heated seat and Ermax rear hugger

VifferJ

• Member Contributer

For Christmas I had Sargent build a heated seat for the Viffer, also got an Ermax rear hugger,  the heat controller for the seat is mounted next to my heated gear controls, came out pretty sano IMO. 

Been riding her in the PNW road mist quite a bit this year commuting, a nice sunny weekend deserved a bath... 

IMG_5947_zpswnca0irj.jpg

IMG_5949_zpskm3q0wl9.jpg

IMG_5950_zpsmk4ynefl.jpg

IMG_5929_zpsu0g025tu.jpg

IMG_5933_zpsbhxzlk0m.jpg

IMG_5952_zpslhxyldpy.jpg

IMG_5959_zpsvwawqgmr.jpg

IMG_5965_zpswushusgf.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice clean install on the controller. Did you try the heater out? Report on the quality of heating?

The hugger looks decent. The paint seems to match well. Assuming it's plastic.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, YoshiHNS said:

Nice clean install on the controller. Did you try the heater out? Report on the quality of heating?

The hugger looks decent. The paint seems to match well. Assuming it's plastic.

Thx Yosh, the heat works great, very adjustable I think like 10 settings, on full it is almost too hot after about 15 minutes. I know this because the first controller they sent me wouldn't turn off, they sent me a replacement controller but would only ship it ground for free so it took a week to get it, that left a bad taste in my mouth about the sale but in the end all is well.

Ya the hugger is plastic, color match is pretty good IMO.

• Member Contributer
57 minutes ago, weee06 said:

Awesome, how much was that seat? Did they redo your original pan?

Also how is your GPS mounted?

Thx Wee, they were doing a holiday special I think like 15% off, cost was about $400,  I had both front and rear seats done with there better foam and sticker vinyl, I only did heat on the rider seat.

Yes you have to send them your seats and they reuse those pans.

I bought a set of oem front and rear seats off ebay and sent those to Sargent be built so that I could keep riding my Viffer while the new seat was being built, if anyone is interested in buying my oem front and rear seat to do the same let me know. 

For the gps and radar detector I just use these ram balls and a ram arm, works great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAM-RAM-B-367U-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Clamp-Base-with-1-Ball-M8-Screws/201376883370?epid=2255367499&hash=item2ee2ff62aa:g:siEAAOSwPcVViv3B:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!97223!US!-1

• Member Contributer

Hi VifferJ.

That looks like a great installation, but have you worked out what sort of current draw you are pulling from all your added electrical farkles? Something to seriously think about, hate to think you might fry a stator or the fancy new micro processor controlled R/R.

The hugger looks great, where did you get it?

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi VifferJ.

That looks like a great installation, but have you worked out what sort of current draw you are pulling from all your added electrical farkles? Something to seriously think about, hate to think you might fry a stator or the fancy new micro processor controlled R/R.

The hugger looks great, where did you get it?

Cheers.

Thx Grum, no I haven't but so far this winter all has been quite well, the biggest draw is probably the heated gear and it hasn't been an issue all winter and I use it frequently, everything  else is pretty low draw. I run similar setups on all my bikes, is the Viffer known to not be able to handle adding electronics?? 

I got the hugger from these guys along with a windscreen.

https://www.motomachines.com/Ermax-Rear-Hugger-for-Honda-VFR800-14-_p_5368.html

That hugger looks awesome in RED - really sets off that area of the bike.  That being said - what is the rubber end pc on the rear sets?  I have seen it on other members photos and was curious?  And could you give some info. on your tank protector?  I have a the Honda version but it is not long enough as our tanks seem to go forever, yours does a better job covering the entire area.

Thanks,

Andy

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, Killerkingdon said:

That hugger looks awesome in RED - really sets off that area of the bike.  That being said - what is the rubber end pc on the rear sets?  I have seen it on other members photos and was curious?  And could you give some info. on your tank protector?  I have a the Honda version but it is not long enough as our tanks seem to go forever, yours does a better job covering the entire area.

Thanks,

Andy

Thx Andy.

The rubber bits are for the oem side cases.

The tank protector pads are TechSpec, I got em from Revzilla.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/techspec-snake-skin-center-tank-pad

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, YoshiHNS said:

IIRC, the 6th gen had around 230W to spare for accessories. Not sure about 8th gen, but wouldn't expect it to change that much.

Maybe the LED lights on the Gen 8 help??

• Member Contributer

Maybe. Are you that close to using up all that wattage? You can always install a voltmeter to make sure you aren't draining the battery when geared up.

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, YoshiHNS said:

Maybe. Are you that close to using up all that wattage? You can always install a voltmeter to make sure you aren't draining the battery when geared up.

Not sure, but I haven't had any issues and been riding all winter, so will just keep riding. It's a Honda, wring her neck, she likes it and will just keep going! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Very nice!  What's that thing on the fairing just under the left side of your seat above the passenger peg?  Looks like two little holes - is it for plugging in your heated gear?  Damn Vikings - I had the Saints in my office pool :tongue:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, GatorGreg said:

Very nice!  What's that thing on the fairing just under the left side of your seat above the passenger peg?  Looks like two little holes - is it for plugging in your heated gear?  Damn Vikings - I had the Saints in my office pool :tongue:

Thx GG, yes those are my input ports for my heated gear. My leads come out the left hip of my Stich suit and plug into those input ports, I can adjust the heat  up or down individually using the control knobs on that inner left panel by the heat controller for the seat, I have one that runs my gloves and boot insoles, and the other my jacket liner. As long as it's dry I'm better than good with temps in the teens, it's really awesome and great for my sanity. :cool:

That game was great, what a finish! I'm not pulling for either to win the Super Bowl but man that was a crazy ending!! 

• Member Contributer

These bikes look so damn good, especially in great pics like these. I’d love to disassemble one, hard anodize all the silver alloy bits to black, and reassemble. That would leave only red, black, and that beautiful bronze. 

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, ducnut said:

These bikes look so damn good, especially in great pics like these. I’d love to disassemble one, hard anodize all the silver alloy bits to black, and reassemble. That would leave only red, black, and that beautiful bronze. 

Not a bad idea - have you seen the overseas refreshed '17+ 8th gen with the black frame?

maxresdefault.jpg

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, VifferJ said:

Thx GG, yes those are my input ports for my heated gear. My leads come out the left hip of my Stich suit and plug into those input ports, I can adjust the heat  up or down individually using the control knobs on that inner left panel by the heat controller for the seat, I have one that runs my gloves and boot insoles, and the other my jacket liner. As long as it's dry I'm better than good with temps in the teens, it's really awesome and great for my sanity. :cool:

That game was great, what a finish! I'm not pulling for either to win the Super Bowl but man that was a crazy ending!! 

That's an awesome setup.  I enjoy riding in the teens too (Celsius :tongue: )

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

Not a bad idea - have you seen the overseas refreshed '17+ 8th gen with the black frame?

maxresdefault.jpg

No. That certainly makes it a LOT easier to finish the rest of the silver bits. 

These newer bikes are really pulling at me. Buuuuut, last week, I bought a 5th Gen with a noisy engine. ?

• 2 months later...

Archived