Honda SC44 front forks with RC36/2 wheel

FrysianViffer

Hello, 

I'm turning my vfr 750 RC36/2 into a naked bike since all the plastic is rotted/broken/weak. 

and i mounted a fireblade SC44 front end with brake calipers, and i want to use the original vfr wheel.

so my question is does a cbr 929 brake disc (330 mm vfr is 296mm) fit on a vfr 750 wheel? i'mm asking this because brake discs are not cheap, so i wont just buy it and see if it fits hehe

EDIT: nevermind i found out that the bolt pattern of a vfr 750 is 75mm and the sc44 110mm.

so then, does anyone know a 330 brake disc with a 75 mm bolt pattern ?

• Member Contributer
On 1/13/2018 at 4:11 PM, FrysianViffer said:

Hello, 

I'm turning my vfr 750 RC36/2 into a naked bike since all the plastic is rotted/broken/weak. 

and i mounted a fireblade SC44 front end with brake calipers, and i want to use the original vfr wheel.

so my question is does a cbr 929 brake disc (330 mm vfr is 296mm) fit on a vfr 750 wheel? i'mm asking this because brake discs are not cheap, so i wont just buy it and see if it fits hehe

EDIT: nevermind i found out that the bolt pattern of a vfr 750 is 75mm and the sc44 110mm.

so then, does anyone know a 330 brake disc with a 75 mm bolt pattern ?

There aren't any 75mm ID Honda brake discs (you may be referring to the PCD, but that's not how these are discussed), but that's not important if you want to fit the RC36-II wheel.  

Your SC44 front end has 214mm fork spacing, a 25mm OD axle 193mm (+42mm) long, 25x47x12mm bearings, huge 330mm OD discs with 94mm ID and 12.5mm offset. 

The RC36-II was different:  192mm fork spacing, a 20mm OD axle 186mm (+ 50mm) long, 20x42x10mm bearings,  296mm OD discs with 58mm ID and 17mm offset.

So, the SC44 front end was much wider, but the axle may be your biggest problem.  (There is a reason people use the RC51 SP1 front wheel on conversions--it fits!)  If you could get 25x42x10mm bearings, great, but I don't think you can.  (Actually, I did find some that might work: 6905 thin-section deep-groove ball bearings are 25x42x9mm.  They are 1mm too narrow, but you're probably in custom spacer territory anyway.)  

The next problem is discs, and you've either got to account for the 7mm or 17mm difference in hub width (the RC36-II hub is 100mm wide, but I don't know the SC44 hub width.  It is probably 107mm or 117mm.), as well as the different offset.  There aren't a lot of different offsets for 58mm discs, just the OEM 17mm and 21.5mm (used on the RC45 and the CBR1100XX), but spacers can be machined.  The OD on those discs is 310mm, so your calipers might not bite the entire surface of them--worth checking.  

I have more data, if you need it, but you're going to have to do the measuring and the maths!

Ciao,

Thanks for the reply JZH i actually have 25x42x9 bearings but i wasnt sure about the strength of such a thin bearing so i fit 2 on each side. 

i'm thinking of getting a laser-cut disc to fit the 330mm rotor and then use spacers to get the offset right, i just hope it will be strong enough.

That money would be much better spent on fitting a RC51 SP1 wheel. It looks just like the VFR front (which btw does not "match" either, since front are 6 spoke and rears are 5 for some reason??). The SP1 wheel is the only 6 spoke front that will accept the 330mm discs. It should fit the 929/954 forks directly. 

I fitted a SP2 5 spoke wheel in 06 'blade forks to my 1996, to match my 98 5 spoke rear wheel. 

Those wheels are sadly nowhere to be found though... there is not a single R51 front wheel to be sold on ebay nor any other site here in the netherlands.

and i kind of want to ride this summer so waiting for a wheel to pop up is not a option

• Member Contributer
On 1/15/2018 at 4:04 PM, FrysianViffer said:

Those wheels are sadly nowhere to be found though... there is not a single R51 front wheel to be sold on ebay nor any other site here in the netherlands.

and i kind of want to ride this summer so waiting for a wheel to pop up is not a option

You're right, they're not very common, and definitely not cheap, but eBay (UK) Item No. 332518409609 is still showing as available...  A mere 268 of our Brexit-lightened pounds and it's yours in a week to ten days.  (No, it's not mine!)

Ciao,

On 16-1-2018 at 9:08 PM, JZH said:

You're right, they're not very common, and definitely not cheap, but eBay (UK) Item No. 332518409609 is still showing as available...  A mere 268 of our Brexit-lightened pounds and it's yours in a week to ten days.  (No, it's not mine!)

Ciao,

Dang wish i read that yesterday already ordered a sc44 wheel

but i just realized that with a 330mm braking disc you hardly see the rim hehehe