Bump Starting

2015vfr

Hi All,

A quick search doesn't show up anything. Bike wouldn't start this morning, I'm assuming a dead battery, crank was weak, and the display would shut off if the starter was pushed.

Is is possible to bump start these bikes if the computer comes on (dash lights up)?

I think I'll jump it with the car this evening and go from there, but would be nice to know for future reference.

• Member Contributer

It depends on how weak the battery is. It's gotta have enough amperage to run the computer, the fuel pump, etc. Can you bump/push start an efi'ed vehicle with a weak battery? Yes, but it all depends on how much amperage and/or voltage that weak battery has. If it doesn't have the necessary power to run the electronics AND fuel pump, no. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Killerkingdon said:

ZCD76 is correct - if you have enough juice to prime the pump, then a third gear bump start is pretty easy.  Its a heavy bike, so remember to make sure you have a warm tire or she will just slide.  :)

How do you warm up the tyre when air temp is below 5c ? 

Have never heard that that one before. 

• Member Contributer

Regarding dealing with a week or discharged battery, there are many choices for compact jump start portable batteries. I bought a WeeGo several years ago.  It claimed to have the juice to start a couple of 3.5 liter v6 engines. I was heading out on a long-distance ride when I came across a woman on the sholder of the freeway whose mc battery was dead. As a door nail. I hooked my unit, which is about the size of a new cell phone, to her battery and we got the machine started but it would die as soon as the jump starter was disconnected. So I hooked up the battery and left the charger connected while she began retracing her route on the other sid e of the freeway with me following. She made it several miles to the next exit where she pulled off. Her bike died at the stopsign at the end of the exit ramp. So we disconnected the jumper, left her machine there while I gave her a short ride to a strip mall where she would call her boy friend. And I was on my way about an hour and a half after stopping. She was quite grateful.

I do not leave my hood without it.

6 hours ago, fink said:

How do you warm up the tyre when air temp is below 5c ? 

Have never heard that that one before. 

Heat gun - previously used a brazing bottle, but there was "an incident' as my wife likes to call it - :)

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Killerkingdon said:

Heat gun - previously used a brazing bottle, but there was "an incident' as my wife likes to call it - :)

Yeah - I carry a propane torch under my seat "just in case" 

Worth noting that this bike isn't super easy to jump start. Previous bike I could run on it and start.

This one I was in a carpark and while rolling down the ramp tried and got a compression lockup. Worked the next time... but it does take some effort.

Archived