New to 5th GEN

ducnut

• Member Contributer

Bought a ‘98 with 16K. Helibars are the only addition. I plan to pull the bodywork, completely go through all the systems, plugs, thermostat, fluids, filters, suspensions, etc. This is a really nice bike that needs a little TLC. It’s missing the seat cowl and original clip-ons. If anyone has leads on those items, I’d be interested. 

I used to service a ‘98 for a friend. I told myself “If I ever come across the right bike, I’m going to have one”. It’ll share space with a ‘15 Tiger 800XCx, ‘02 SV650S, and ‘96 900SS. 

F140EAB6-2785-43EB-AF45-4D3EFC2B8C48.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Welcome ducnut! 

That looks like a pretty nice, fairly stock machine. I would bet that you can probably find someone who will trade you stock bars for those helibars, they seem like a popular mod for a lot of folks.

Like you, I picked up a low mile red 98 recently. My to-do list is similar, basically a lot of deferred maintenance and a few upgrades to the brakes and suspension. 

http://vfrworld.com/threads/refurbishing-my-99-5th-gen.52488/ -This is probably the best thread I have found for a refurb guide. It gets into more detail than most, but it is well written and has a lot of nice progress pics.  Both this board and VFRW are great resources and have a huge amount of info posting just waiting for you to search and read. 

My bike: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NKHZOKAfENCAWJ3z2

I think I have a set of bars. I'm in aus, so you'd pay postage and beer money for a 6 pack

if you cant find anything in the US, let me know.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, adkfinn said:

Welcome ducnut! 

That looks like a pretty nice, fairly stock machine. I would bet that you can probably find someone who will trade you stock bars for those helibars, they seem like a popular mod for a lot of folks.

Like you, I picked up a low mile red 98 recently. My to-do list is similar, basically a lot of deferred maintenance and a few upgrades to the brakes and suspension. 

http://vfrworld.com/threads/refurbishing-my-99-5th-gen.52488/ -This is probably the best thread I have found for a refurb guide. It gets into more detail than most, but it is well written and has a lot of nice progress pics.  Both this board and VFRW are great resources and have a huge amount of info posting just waiting for you to search and read. 

My bike: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NKHZOKAfENCAWJ3z2

Thank you, for the links. I’ll have a read, this weekend. 

10 hours ago, keef said:

I think I have a set of bars. I'm in aus, so you'd pay postage and beer money for a 6 pack

if you cant find anything in the US, let me know.

I sure will. 

4 hours ago, zupatun said:

I have a set of stock clip ons...

If you need to move them, PM with details. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Welcome, great find.....who does only 16k in twenty years?
I just got one myself but with 155k (km) still sounds solid.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

Great first post; with picture!!!

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Forbes said:

Welcome, great find.....who does only 16k in twenty years?
I just got one myself but with 155k (km) still sounds solid.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

It was most recently owned by an elderly gentleman who, I think, could just no longer ride it. It’s my understanding the bike only did 26mi, in the last couple years. I bought it through their family friend, who helped facilitate moving the bike on. 

4 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

Great first post; with picture!!!

Not much of a pic, I’m afraid. Haha. It’s still loaded in the truck, until I return from work on the road. 

Nice score there.  it was a couple maybe threes years ago I found the one  I have today with only 32,000 fresh off a full (valves)  service.  Great generation of the VFR,  I was lucky it came with a Staintune, since then I've tweaked it a bit. 

Isn't it great that there are low-miles, garaged, well taken care of bikes out there.  In 2 years in Denver I found my '99 5th Gen with less than 19,000 miles and my '01 5th Gen with less than 12,000 miles.  

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, RVFR said:

Nice score there.  it was a couple maybe threes years ago I found the one  I have today with only 32,000 fresh off a full (valves)  service.  Great generation of the VFR,  I was lucky it came with a Staintune, since then I've tweaked it a bit. 

I wish Staintune still offered a slip-on. To me, it’s the most appropriate quality and sound for these bikes. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, GreginDenver said:

Isn't it great that there are low-miles, garaged, well taken care of bikes out there.  In 2 years in Denver I found my '99 5th Gen with less than 19,000 miles and my '01 5th Gen with less than 12,000 miles.  

Honestly, I was kind of hoping I’d stumble across a yellow one. I was working in the industry that year, but, couldn’t afford the only one we had gotten in. A guy buys it, like the second day it was on the floor. The memory of that bike has always been with me. Probably could’ve found one, if I were actually looking to buy a VFR. It was pure coincidence I saw this one. Just happened to look through the classified section of a forum I hadn’t been on in a while. I guess, it was meant to be. I’m extremely happy to have it. 

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum from the land of squeeky snow. Congratulations of acquiring a fabulous machine. It is the best gen in the fastest color.

Ride safe and have fun.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Welcome to the asylum from the land of squeeky snow. Congratulations of acquiring a fabulous machine. It is the best gen in the fastest color.

Ride safe and have fun.

Thank you. 

Archived