Changing Theromstat

RhINO

Hi folks!

I'm going to change the thermostat this spring and I've had a look at the service manual but there are a couple of things that I'm wondering about.

In the service manual it says that you should change the o-rings for the pipes that bolt to the engine block, do you really have to remove those?

Can you open the thermostat housing without removing it?

How on earth do you get the throttle body back on the bike?

What sort of stuff do I need to buy, is it enough with the thermostat and the o-ring for the thermostat housing?

Anything else I should think about?

/R

Here's what the O-rings looked like when I did a thermostat replacement on my '99 VFR800.  They were very flat and crusty.  They really didn't even look like O-rings at all as you can see in the second picture, sitting next to the new replacement O-rings.

DSCF1225_zpseiwklav0.jpg

DSCF1227_zpsyae71gn6.jpg

Lots of people seem to want to engage in the "wishful thinking" that says the rubber parts of an older motorcycle or car don't eventually have to be replaced.  But these parts have a limited lifetime and the manufacturer (Honda in this case) sees them as "consumable items".

• Member Contributer

Amen to that Greg.

Rhino you might also consider replacing the coolant hoses around the thermostat as well. I did not, and had to pull the throttle bodies out a few months later when they started leaking. I also bought new inlet rubbers for the throttle bodies, fresh ones are pliable and make re-mounting the TB's pretty easy.

Archived