-1/+2 520 conversion. Gear position indicator fault.

Simbsonite

• Member Contributer

Has anyone done a chain and sprocket kit on their bike, I recently did mine as -1/+2 520 conversion and now the bike keeps loosing what gear it’s in on the dash. It just displayed a flashing line instead.

anyone had this issue and been able to rectify it?

image.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi Simbsonite.

Welcome to the forum.

Sadly it does state in the Service Manual (see the Yellow Hi Lighted Text Below) that changing the sprockets will cause this to happen with your Gear Position Indication. As the ECM somehow calculates and compares the logical gear position from the three gear switches as well as speed versus rpm, unless all this crap matches up you'll get your flashing line!

So it doesn't look like an easy fix for your mod. Gear position indication is nice but not the end of the world without it!

Download the 8gen Service Manual from the Home Page.

Cheers.

Grum. 

VFR800F_Gear_Position001.jpg

2 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Simbsonite.

Welcome to the forum.

Sadly it does state in the Service Manual (see the Yellow Hi Lighted Text Below) that changing the sprockets will cause this to happen with your Gear Position Indication. As the ECM somehow calculates and compares the logical gear position from the three gear switches as well as speed versus rpm, unless all this crap matches up you'll get your flashing line!

So it doesn't look like an easy fix for your mod. Gear position indication is nice but not the end of the world without it!

Download the 8gen Service Manual from the Home Page.

Cheers.

Grum. 

VFR800F_Gear_Position001.jpg

Can fuck up quickshifter as well

Screenshot_20180111-145907.png

What if you only went down -1 on the front or up 2 on the rear?  Meaning will it flash with any change or is there a more moderate change that will allow use of the gear indicator and a bit more torque.  I only need just a little on the bottom end and was hoping with just a on tooth change I could still get the best of both worlds.

• Member Contributer

Unless all the factors in the ECU equation from all three sensors are proportionally correct it will always show a fault

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Killerkingdon said:

What if you only went down -1 on the front or up 2 on the rear?  Meaning will it flash with any change or is there a more moderate change that will allow use of the gear indicator and a bit more torque.  I only need just a little on the bottom end and was hoping with just a on tooth change I could still get the best of both worlds.

It appears dropping the front ONLY by -1 doesn't upset anything. See Sprocket Change thread.

2 hours ago, FastM said:

I went -1 on front with the stock chain and gear indicator works fine.  

got a link to the place you purchased?  Have seen JT sprocket posted, but wanted to duplicate someone else. 

• Member Contributer

I get why the bike doesn't really need a 525 but why not just stay with OEM?  Honda used a 525 for some reason.  Just wondering again.....

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Bent said:

I get why the bike doesn't really need a 525 but why not just stay with OEM?  Honda used a 525 for some reason.  Just wondering again.....

To save 100-200 grams on sprung weight.  I can only assume.

Im in the stick to factory spec book Mesel. 

Archived