What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

• Member Contributer

I was cleaning the garage and decided the safest place to put my blue '01's LH side fairing panel was...back on the bike.  (It had been off since I had parked that bike just before Covid.)  I'm now tempted to get it ready to ride again...  :wink:

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
On 3/30/2023 at 5:37 AM, Skids said:

You'll be fine. I managed my 6th Gen and recently my 5th Gen without too many issues and I am a skill-less f*ck-knuckle!

As long as the kit is good quality you shouldn't have any issues.

Front done, rear yet to be attempted, given I need to take the back of the bike apart, to get to three separate lines.

Vacuum bled the lines and result was a bit spongy. Re-bled using the tried and tested old method, still not ideal, but marginally better than the OEM lines. 

There are a myriad of connections in the lines, so there are plenty of places for air to get trapped.

When I put braided lines on my old non ABS Hornet, the lever was rock hard, with instantaneous braking. Maybe the ABS unit has some softening effect. 

I tried the rubberband/zip tie trick on the lever, for a day, without any success. I can’t understand how that would really work, so wasn’t expecting much.

The bike is a G8, like the forum.

• Member Contributer

Took the rear wheel out and discovered there’s a screw in it so off to have a new tyre put on …..one day I’ll actually wear a rear tyre out on this bike

• Haha 2

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, VFR78 said:

tried the rubberband/zip tie trick on the lever, for a day, without any success. I can’t understand how that would really work, so wasn’t expecting much

Pressure causes any air bubbles to reduce in size, making it easier for them to rise up through the brake lines. Have never done this myself but am told it does work.

• Member Contributer
44 minutes ago, Philois1984 said:

Pressure causes any air bubbles to reduce in size, making it easier for them to rise up through the brake lines. Have never done this myself but am told it does work.

Definitely does work.

• Member Contributer

I think that it can work. There may also be a bit of pistons adjusting themselves on the O-rings when under pressure over time. 

If I tied the lever on my olf FJ1200 overnight, the lever was awesome for a day or three of riding...then things went back to normal. 

• Member Contributer
On 5/13/2023 at 3:36 AM, Skids said:

Definitely does work.

“Pressure causes any air bubbles to reduce in size, making it easier for them to rise up through the brake lines. Have never done this myself but am told it does work.”

The issue with the Gen 8 is that there are a couple of high points in the braking circuit, so air in the abs unit or in the line joining the left and right calipers does not have anywhere to rise to. Unlike say racing/twin line connections directly to the master cylinder from the calipers.

I think the real solution might be bleed, bleed and then bleed again!

• Member Contributer

75F98E2B-7CD0-4A81-9F0D-A69E826FD5EC.thumb.jpeg.4349c5cbe1a5f7e7e990c3d145af266a.jpeg037499DB-11B3-43C2-8AB4-6189393C3787.thumb.jpeg.6d6ea0336ab4d24028785c463cb81b7f.jpegF42921A4-C69E-4465-8CDD-B43433F753F7.thumb.jpeg.b602483ce2d596781365932d5389779b.jpegThe braided lines. Before anyone says “why that colour”, it was a moment of madness, that I regretted as soon as they landed at the front door. 

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Not really, it’s reasonably straightforward. The lines are very stiff, so you need to fit them pretty loosely, before you tighten them up. I used flair nut spanners to loosen the old connections to the ABS unit, but open enders to tighten things up. They are Frentubo lines, supposedly used on the LCR GP bikes, and are significantly cheaper than HEL and Galfer, but, they do have multiple flare connections at the RHS caliper, which is probably not ideal. The Hel lines have a crimped/permanent union at that point, which might be better and make installation a bit simpler.

Replaced the OEM battery in my 2017 8 Gen with a new Yuasa YTZ12S 

Had an odd experience out riding yesterday. After a brief stop was unable to crank the engine. Luckily after several unsuccessful tries a chap walking turned up and gave me a push start. Once home the battery had no problems firing her up a couple of times. Put it on charge and once full left it overnight. Seemed to drop from 12.7v to 12.4v overnight. 

Then checked the current leakage as per the manual and it was zero. Ran the engine up to temp and checked the charging voltage 14.25 at idle and 14.44 @ 5000 rpm. Then tried repeated starts. The battery became more unwilling to crank properly after the second pull. Unfortunately I didn't have easy access to a load test but decided to avoid the potential problem of getting stuck in the sticks so bit the bullet and paid up

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

After getting only duds, I stopped buying Yuasa batteries many years ago and went to MotoBatt. 

• Like 1

After two separate cross country rides and a bazillion other miles over the last few months I decided it was probably time to open the airbox and take a look at the K&N.

😃

IMG_20230519_195930_(1080_x_486_pixel).thumb.jpg.7b42910c47f2b2fd3122d2730fd3b130.jpg

Currently drying before oil application.

IMG_20230519_195938_(1080_x_486_pixel).thumb.jpg.bc706bbdf13895aa80fe7a8690019d8a.jpg

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer

Geez! Where do you ride, underground or through the clothes dryer vent? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bmart said:

Where do you ride, underground or through the clothes dryer vent? 

Yes. 👍

Pollen season out here and I remember riding through sand clouds blowing over I-8 near the dunes between El Centro and Yuma.

• Member Contributer

Wow. I've never seen a filter like that on any bike/car that I've worked on. I go 10k intervals on the VFRs and they're barely dark. 

17 minutes ago, bmart said:

Wow. I've never seen a filter like that on any bike/car that I've worked on. I go 10k intervals on the VFRs and they're barely dark. 

This interval is a bit past 10K.  I also have a little habit of pretending the VFR is a Transalp.  I'm not shy about trundling down some gravel or dirt roads.  Jeeps in front of you tend to kick up decent dust clouds. 

Rented a trailer and got tie down straps and filled the jeep with gas and a new battery.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 5/17/2023 at 9:00 AM, VFR78 said:

75F98E2B-7CD0-4A81-9F0D-A69E826FD5EC.thumb.jpeg.4349c5cbe1a5f7e7e990c3d145af266a.jpeg037499DB-11B3-43C2-8AB4-6189393C3787.thumb.jpeg.6d6ea0336ab4d24028785c463cb81b7f.jpegF42921A4-C69E-4465-8CDD-B43433F753F7.thumb.jpeg.b602483ce2d596781365932d5389779b.jpegThe braided lines. Before anyone says “why that colour”, it was a moment of madness, that I regretted as soon as they landed at the front door. 

Are those alloy fittings ? If yes they are not recommended for road use, they are banned in UK & a bike would fail its annual test (MoT) if fitted. They are prone to vibration cracking & or snapping if hit in a crash/drop, or just a ham fisted accidental bump.