What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Trusted German manufacturer;

had H&B on my Beemer mid 1980's :beer:

About the same time I had a set of Krauser bags on my Suzuki GS1100G. I see that H&B still has some stock of classic Krauser bags and parts. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have just purchased (received in 8 days Naples/Sydney) a full set of Fren Tubo Type 2 braided brake lines and front Brembo pads, for the Viffer. After 8 plus years, and over 90,000 kms, I figured a refresh of the old lines could not hurt. The cost was about 20% cheaper than buying OEM in OZ.

The brake lines include replacements for the rubber lines to the rear caliper and in the ABS circuit, so the whole replacement process going to be a bit of a faff.

Any advice regarding possible “bear” traps would be most appreciated. My biggest concern is with the ABS modulator circuit and whether it will end up with air in it and get out of sorts or should a simple bleed fix that.

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, VFR78 said:

I have just purchased (received in 8 days Naples/Sydney) a full set of Fren Tubo Type 2 braided brake lines and front Brembo pads, for the Viffer. After 8 plus years, and over 90,000 kms, I figured a refresh of the old lines could not hurt. The cost was about 20% cheaper than buying OEM in OZ.

The brake lines include replacements for the rubber lines to the rear caliper and in the ABS circuit, so the whole replacement process going to be a bit of a faff.

Any advice regarding possible “bear” traps would be most appreciated. My biggest concern is with the ABS modulator circuit and whether it will end up with air in it and get out of sorts or should a simple bleed fix that.

You'll be fine. I managed my 6th Gen and recently my 5th Gen without too many issues and I am a skill-less f*ck-knuckle!

As long as the kit is good quality you shouldn't have any issues.

I canceled the second order of a rear master cylinder due to the seller saying it was in stock, then notifying my four days later that it’s on back order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, VFR78 said:

Don't know which version you have?  I posted my full misadventure here.  The tricky parts are accessing the rear flare nuts under the seat for removal, and breaking the flare nuts in the front since they are looking up at the sky and possibly corroded.  Use good flare wrenches and go slow, that seems to be the biggest key.

For the rear junction block, I drilled out the rivets holding the rear mud flap, cut an access into the plastic normally covered by the mud flap, then re-riveted rhe flap back into place.  Not as bad as it sounds but there was no "clean" way to access that rear flare nut otherwise and I would have rounded it badly.

• Member Contributer

Will say - stainless braided lines plus serviced calipers are worth all the effort though!

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, ShipFixer said:

Will say - stainless braided lines plus serviced calipers are worth all the effort though!

Thanks for all your help ShipFixer. I had read about all of your pain last year and are praying that it won’t be the same for me. My bike is a Gen 8, so hopefully the flare nuts will be less inclined to be stuck. I won’t plan any rides, once I start, just in case I never finish.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Skids said:

You'll be fine. I managed my 6th Gen and recently my 5th Gen without too many issues and I am a skill-less f*ck-knuckle!

As long as the kit is good quality you shouldn't have any issues.

Thanks Skids, I hope “You’ll be fine” isn’t the “kiss of death”. As a mechanic, I make a great surveyor!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Discovered the coolant pump is leaking on my ‘15 ….so much for a trip over the Easter weekend 

Saturday, the fuel pump parts finally arrived and got that installed and tank back on the bike.

Removed the rear fender / undertail pieces that has the hidden compartment so I can replace with a used stocker.

While that apart, removed the shock to swap the stock spring for the Hyperco spring I found at work. Not as bad of a job as I expected, but could be easier TBH. Rubber bump stop on the bottom s shot and crumbled away.

Turning attention to the brake calipers, found the P/O ( or his shady shop ) had used red loctite on the caliper bolts and even the slide pins. Lotsa heat, 6 point socket and breaker bar to get the bolts loose. People !!!

And what fluid that was in the lines and guessing in calipers,  is red ?  UGH.

333778230_892797045270507_7793280057502450547_n.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Someone (who hasn't had it dump their stuff all over the highway) will want that Tail Locker... :mellow:

Ciao,

JZH

1 hour ago, JZH said:

Someone (who hasn't had it dump their stuff all over the highway) will want that Tail Locker... :mellow:

Ciao,

JZH

I'll surely sell it and the hacked stock rear fender that goes with it.. 🫤

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I think that we should require captions. I do not what what this is, what bike it is, or what may have been done. Regardless, I hope that you're happy with it. Also, can we not allow stupid thread subjects like "guess what" and "you'll never believe!" 🙂

I havent got her yet. I have to wait till friday. I got the ninga to ride for now. I cant wait to feel the vteck. Any list of parts to get to make her faster becides getting a tune

• Member Contributer

I've been planning a cross-Canada trip. I wanted to simplify chain maintenance while touring. So today I installed a Scottoiler xSystem. Will be testing how it works in the next few days. I've read many opinions, pro and con, and now I'll get to come up with my own opinion. I'll try to remember to post the results after I've put on some significant kms.

20230427_141138.thumb.jpg.ccb4537b9db39bb9f2c0570a08fc9d2f.jpg

Reservoir-still lots of room for tools, etc.

20230505_151216.thumb.jpg.3e5a062a074aca3418ea725ac52c1c3e.jpg

Oil line on top of swingarm

20230504_125803.thumb.jpg.bcfa2b6186b3544e58f7f5dd0fcfa95a.jpg

Dispenser under lower chain guard

20230504_130705.thumb.jpg.1a3a6c9a4b5304187cd33828e743be2c.jpg

Behind the chain guard

• Like 1

Busy last few weeks, a bit at a time.

Rear shock resprung with Hyperco spring.

Linkage and related bearings lubed.

Used rear fender / undertray fitted. ECU located to correct positon also.

All 3 brake calipers cleaned, serviced and rebuilt.

Front brake M/C cleaned and serviced.

Today will be rear M/C clean and service and clutch M/C and slave cylinder.

• Member Contributer

My '98 got the annual wash and wax, and it is looking goooood.