What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

You guys on the west coast sure got hammered by cold and snow

Us here on the east coast are getting ready for a rain/wind event this weekend

2" of rain and 90km ( 60 mph ) winds

going to be bad

• 1 month later...

I picked up my new to me 8th Gen (only has 10,000km or 6000 miles) late last week, got the suspension set up today. My suspension guy laughed at how out of wack it was. Feels a lot firmer now and more netural, it used to squat on acceleration. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, Toinz said:

I picked up my new to me 8th Gen (only has 10,000km or 6000 miles) late last week, got the suspension set up today. My suspension guy laughed at how out of wack it was. Feels a lot firmer now and more netural, it used to squat on acceleration. 

That reminds me I ought to go through my '09's suspenders soon - after 90K km it deserves a refresh.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Found a tan connector last night, so I have to pull it apart and clean it...and maybe source the housing and/or blades. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Bought some cheapo ebay adjustable pegs because my new boots are too big to get under the shifter (I've been using the edge of my toe) and voila. All better with a 1" (25mm) drop... and no drop on the brake side. That side was already good lol. 

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, WDIV said:

Bought some cheapo ebay adjustable pegs because my new boots are too big to get under the shifter (I've been using the edge of my toe) and voila. All better with a 1" (25mm) drop... and no drop on the brake side. That side was already good lol. 

Linky link? You have a 5th Gen I think?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Bren said:

Linky link? You have a 5th Gen I think?

6th gen and after a quick ride on the bike to fill the tank... i reverted back to stock lol. It helped with up shifting tremendously but made downshifting a giant chore. I have a bad feeling that Sato rear sets are in my future lol.

Part specific link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/350822393550

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Have you looked at your boot height? They may just be too thick for smooth shifting both ways. I've seen that countless times. Moving the lever can help one way, but makes the other way worse. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, bmart said:

Have you looked at your boot height? They may just be too thick for smooth shifting both ways. I've seen that countless times. Moving the lever can help one way, but makes the other way worse. 

Being new boots, I'm hoping they just need to break in but they are chunkier than my old Sidis. 

• Member Contributer

SAT: spooned on some new Q3+ on bike

SUN: took out to AMP trackday w/BrakeFree Tracktime

Did all 8-sessions, no lunch-break. Darn, forgot to check-in with Hookit! Well, my rating's taken nosedive anyway since I haven't done any racing past 2-yrs due to GERMS!!!

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Nothing! Looked under the cover in the garage where the red beauty is still asleep and then played a short video clip of my VFR running which I recorded in December to remind me of the great noises it makes.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Finally sucked it up and did the coolant flush tonight. What I took out looked like it would glow in the dark, but it was spotless clean. I wonder if the previous owner put in 100% instead of 50/50. And there was some air in there. Flushed twice with tap, then flushing solution for 60 minutes. The tap flushing and running. Then drain and fill w/50/50. Hoping it runs a little cooler now. 

Fan came on at 218 and went off at 210. 

Also hoping to ride it a few miles tomorrow as a test and to get some fuel in it. The light is blinking. 

20230213_170117.thumb.jpg.9997b1e4f1f98e1e4c3ca8a3b5a4a68a.jpg

20230213_170135.thumb.jpg.baca22e38ee27505de7bb9deeeeca161.jpg

• Like 1

Late last week I decided to replace all the fluids, my assumption is that they are all from the factory except the Engine oil. Everything went great, so I decided to take Ruby out for a quick run through the Queensland hills on Sunday. It was HOT with temps around 40 c / 105 F the bike really did well, this was my first proper ride on her so was good to feel things out. 

20230212_122213.jpg

20230212_122229.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

30 years ago today I bought my first VFR, a low mileage ’91 VFR750. Picked it up on a dreary Friday evening and stopped by my folks place to show it off.

image.thumb.jpeg.c329dbf0aca94dac1922090d94cb3e2c.jpeg

Saturday morning I headed home to Victoria, taking a long roundabout route to get to know the bike. It was quite a change from my ’81 Kawasaki GPz1100. Rode down past Seattle to Bremerton, Wash., before backtracking north to catch the Tsawwassen ferry back to Victoria.

image.thumb.jpeg.111682bae595d99ca8fdcde855be513a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.62cba412c675ca028e26e64baeec4f37.jpeg

Sunday morning I showed it off to my friends. We met for breakfast most Sundays, riding our bikes to some place or other - at least in more pleasant weather. That day was dull & overcast so I was about the only one to arrive by bike. But afterwords I headed out on a well trodden route up to Duncan, but got caught out on a sand covered junction and dropped my less-than-two-day-old VFR. The right side got pretty scarfed up, but only cosmetically, and insurance covered the majority of the cost.

As for me, I scraped my knee cap and had a separated AC joint, both on my right side. Not particularly painful, but it took a few weeks before both bike and rider got back on the road - here is is on a ride to Genoa Bay. 

I rode the VFR for almost 4 years & 85K km before trading it on a brand new VTR1000F in early 1998.

image.thumb.jpeg.d089151f46b80041b881e3c873c1a02f.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• Member Contributer

Not Today, but actually last summer, I'm happy to have been able to mount my side panniers whilst keeping the exhaust high mounted 🥳 only required a couple of extra bushings and longer bolts 🥳

IMG_0534copy.thumb.jpg.848fb5042344c6754003c4ab73dfba46.jpg

IMG_0533copy.thumb.jpg.1b0ca81ec4a13549f8895e4d96db5091.jpg

IMG_0532copy.thumb.jpg.72dc5405b0c22b7d00a008b0ea41f36d.jpg

Screenshot2023-03-07at14_17.14copy.thumb.jpg.35e398d98b55e28a9f06bc36c95c9808.jpg

Great to cruise with my wife, supper convenient, not so good to ride alone though. The very 1st time alone I got stuck between cars 😅 Traffic was stopped so no harm done, as I was going through cars nearly stopped, pretty much guessing I was about to get stuck 😅

a pic seeing a great sunset on the motorcycle rally paper we attended last summer 😎

Screenshot2023-03-07at14_33_39.thumb.png.4c68a51b3d3d5ea9c8f2a3ae744578a4.png

As one is on sharing mode, below a picture of my beloved VFR back on December 07th 2022. I was aware, as it was all over the news, that Lisbon was getting hit by a huge storm, pretty much like genesis flood narrative, however as I hate driving my car on traffic, which always gets worse on rainy days, I was like no silly rain is making me go through 1 hour plus of traffic, as I had a dinner with friends in Lisbon, and I live outside Lisbon.

Well was I wrong, not only was the rain and wind so strong, that I was going to the dinner slower than cars, as I even had to make a detour to buy a new rain coat and trousers, as mine got all ripped and I was getting soaked. Through out dinner storm quite down, going back home had to take again detours now do to roads being flooded.

Next Time I hear about an orange weather warning, I might remember having to go buying a new rain gear soaked 🤣 as well as ridding my bike slower than cars 🤦‍♂️

IMG_1615copy.thumb.jpg.fb8e725aca384e698d5b2f55e25d31af.jpg

Take Care EverybodY

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

Let us know how you like it. I wanted to drive over mine. Finally sold it and went with Osmand. 

I changed the sparkplugs a few weeks back, as I didn't know their exact history. Turns out cylinder 2 was running lean, while others were fine. It was time to investigate. Removed airbox, opened the throttle, ignition ON and sometimes there would be a squirt of fuel from the injector. Figured it's defective, as I had them cleaned already but the shop didn't have the equipment to flow/leak test them. Ordered 4 new ones from aliexpress for '06+. Also ordered from ebay a wiring harness for the injectors to adapt to my '02. Happy to find a very cheap solution as '02 injectors are hard to find at a reasonable price unless they're used and in questionable condition.