What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

3 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

Which model tech grip did you get? can’t see a VFR on there website. Is it the same as the CBR1000RR-R (RRRRRR)

Love the Werks exhaust.

I used this TECHMOUNT STEERING STEM MOUNT KIT - UNIVERSAL 5-10105. It comes with a bunch of sleeves and one of them will fit in the VFR's center tube, it doesn't fit quite tight enough though so I wrapped one or two wraps of electrical tape around it and then it snugged right up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Perfect Fall weather here in NM, went for a "get out in the middle of nowhere" ride this afternoon.  This is what 'nowhere" looks like down here.  Hwy 117 south of Grants, NM.  Next to nothing for traffic, fun sweeping curves, and a VFR! 

IMG_2049.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

I got a ping from a recruiter about a NM job, am wondering if the entire state is that sparse?  I am happy to ride the VFR at optimum speed, but would also like a special companion.  It looks super fun out there!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

RRluv2RIDE, there are lots of things about NM that will remind you that you're in a desert.  Having grown up on a farm in Kansas, the first time I visited NM, I thought, Huh, all these people can grow is rocks!  Civilization always centers on the river.  The mighty Rio Grande, which doesn't even amount to a crick in Kansas.  Albuquerque (where I live) is a little more than 500,000 population, and has most of the conveniences.  Santa Fe is 84K.  Las Cruces is 104K.

The attraction to NM is the dry, mild climate, mountains, an average of 300+ days of sunshine, and great twisty roads everywhere!  

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I just got the Viking saddlebags and fitted them to the VFR.  These are the Mini Expandable Black Street/Sportbike bags.

Two wide velcro straps to lay across the pillion pad and straps to anchor them.  Photo is from a test ride with them.  The bags didn't flop around, carried the weight well, and to my notion, look just fine on the bike.

Viking Mini Expandable Black Street/Sportbike Saddlebags - Viking Bags

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

Edited by 3rdbike
changed tense of word
  • Like 1

• Member Contributer

I finally got around to mounting the Givi rack on the yellow bike. I also swapped the E45 for an E36 so that I can move a smaller (less ugly) case back and forth. 

20211111_162850.thumb.jpg.fe07694d7eb5d25c02539bd43392e142.jpg

Just replaced a set of Bridgestone BT023 tyres with only 2k miles on them with Michelin Road 5s. The difference in handling and bump absorption is like night and day. Ok, I've not fully scrubbed the new hoops in yet but my earlier deliberations about fitting a 3-way adjustable aftermarket shock and sorting out the fork springs and valving are now on hold as the Michelin's have done the job. I admit to being a fan of Michelin's, having used them on other bikes, but I hadn't expected the difference in 'feel' to be so pronounced.

• Member Contributer

Plexus last night and put it on the road yesterday. Looking forward to a spin. Ordering can next week when it goes on sale. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Presson said:

Just replaced a set of Bridgestone BT023 tyres

In all fairness, those were some of the worst tires i've ever ridden on. My friend and I tried a set each a few years back and it was terrifying. We tore them off very early and went back to our much beloved Dunlops Roadsmarts. Tons of grip wet or dry, solo or two up, cruising and knees down. I'm amazed every time I ride on current date ST tires.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bmart said:

In all fairness, those were some of the worst tires i've ever ridden oIn all fairness, those were some of the worst tires i've ever ridden on. My friend and I tried a set each a few years back and it was terrifyingterrifying

I know some people who swear by the BT023. The ones on my bike came new for a used machine from somewhere called 'Aberdeen'  which appeared to be a salty place. I digress, the Bridgestone solution was not for me; squiggly on white lines and easy sliding in corners under throttle and surprisingly quick to flatten off making them very sensitive to surface imperfections. The bigger problem was very stiff sidewalls which seemed to amplify the rather basic suspension Honda chose for our RC79 VFRs. 

Done 150 miles on the new tyres now and happy to recommend Michelin Road 5 for sport touring, scratching etc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Presson said:

The ones on my bike came new for a used machine from somewhere called 'Aberdeen'  which appeared to be a salty place.

This place could be Aberdeen in Washington State,  It is right on the pacific coastline (salty) and the place I think Kurt Cobain grew up in.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

Seconded...my Road 5's are amazing!

BT023's were great on my ST1100, but I moved to 31's on my ST1300 and they were awesome. Currently running PR5's on my MT-10 and they are great, this is after 6000km of enthusiastic corners, wear is very even across the profile and they still feel good.

IMG_2637.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tipped it over in the garage today while driving onto the dolly... rear tire must have not been lined up good enuf and I caught the edge and over we went.   Threw a leg out,  but that pig had other ideas...

In related news,  looking for 8th gen left side body work in red

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, VFR4Me said:

I tipped it over in the garage today while driving onto the dolly... rear tire must have not been lined up good enuf and I caught the edge and over we went.   Threw a leg out,  but that pig had other ideas...

Don't feel too bad.  It happens to everyone sooner or later.  I did it in August while backing out of the garage.

• Member Contributer
On 12/4/2021 at 7:56 AM, VFR4Me said:

The same thing happened to me earlier this year. Wearing a tennis shoe instead of my usual boots, the sidestand did not get deployed in time. Broke to bones in my foot under the cowl. Sucks the hind-tit bog water big time. (blush)

• Sad 1

• Member Contributer

Installed a license plate bracket and light on my 90. Original owner cut the mud guard off for looks I guess. Must not have ridden in the rain, mud, snow or dark....................... All of which we have in abundance here in Maine.

Came with a brake/riding light and turn signals. Easy enough to wire them into the loom, so I kept them.

DSCF3490.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Stripped my 2014 Gen 8 Bare and removed cam covers to check valve clearances. No service history when I purchased 2 years ago come Feb 1st. Made up some vtec slide pin stoppers from a 6mm drill bit. Only done the rear pair of cylinders so far but all 8 valves are out of spec. Beginning to think this is the first time they were checked. 61kms on the clock. More to come. 

Purchased yet another 1990 Vfr a couple years ago (it was in the back of an automotive shop) I finally got it shipped here before Christmas this year, and am going through it. The brakes, front and rear were drained, clutch drained, fuel drained, antifreeze drained, oil drained. Bled everything with new fluids, went to start it and i lol, the floats are stuck, fuel everywhere.🤦🏻‍♂️ Back at it tomorrow😇

59 minutes ago, REDWING said:

Stripped my 2014 Gen 8 Bare and removed cam covers to check valve clearances. No service history when I purchased 2 years ago come Feb 1st. Made up some vtec slide pin stoppers from a 6mm drill bit. Only done the rear pair of cylinders so far but all 8 valves are out of spec. Beginning to think this is the first time they were checked. 61kms on the clock. More to come. 

I checked my original 1990 vfr valves @ 15k. I never went back in. Now at 242,000 miles, I’m thinkin about checking them again

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, 3rdgenred said:

I checked my original 1990 vfr valves @ 15k. I never went back in. Now at 242,000 miles, I’m thinkin about checking them again

Have a few beers and you will quit thinking about them.  😉

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, REDWING said:

all 8 valves are out of spec

Curious by how much...

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, 3rdgenred said:

I heard that they go nearly forever. I've never checked any of mine on any of the 3 VFRs. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, bmart said:

I heard that they go nearly forever. I've never checked any of mine on any of the 3 VFRs. 

VFR's afik, are all shim-under-bucket.  Being a little loose is better than tight, but more noisy.  As valves slam into seats year after year, they seat deeper and the clearance gets tighter. The lash could eventually get tight enough that it prevents the valve from sealing and you end up with a burned valve.  I don't think I've ever seen a VFR engine that burned a valve.  We have Baileyrock's zillion mile engine and now 3rdgenred's that haven't been checked and are probably tight, but they keep going and going and going.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1