What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

On 8/11/2021 at 8:26 AM, Philois1984 said:

CA07EAC8-B0B4-4B7A-9019-84E948636F6E.thumb.png.866864b9f2e411cd8360b2d4a64f6ea2.pngI did a similar thing to my panniers, love the gold coloured Honda Wing decal.

Thanks! It's actually black reflective vinyl. It looks gold in that photo likely because of the camer flash off the bricks. It's white when vehicle headlights hit it. 

On 8/11/2021 at 8:44 AM, TimC said:

I was going to add DOT reflective tape to my old 6th gen's OEM hard bags years ago, but never got around to it.  I still have the tape in my tool chest.  😕 

I made the reflectors you see in my photo. I sell them if you're interested. I can do them in black or white reflective film.

PXL_20210706_141004477_MP.jpg

PXL_20210706_141020272.jpeg

On 8/27/2021 at 12:44 PM, fink said:

Becaust the good ole USA got a model without a centrestand, and no doubt Honda would have to deal with a resulting liabile case. Thats the only reason I can think of. 

valid point fink, hence different manuals globally, saying different  things. I'll stick with my centre! cheers

Been there, done that between Brooklyn, NY Queens NY, and Newark NJ I had to replace 3 ignition locks to the infamous dent puller. It seems at least Honda's design lets you slip a screwdriver into the hole that's left, and engage the switch to unlock the forks and start the bike. Only saved all 3 times by having the bike locked up to a light pole with Cobra Links, which I don't think they make anymore.

Being tired of mistakenly hitting the horn rather than the turn signals due to the reversed switch placement, I clocked the control position up about 20-30 degrees, putting the signal switch in the prominent position, still having access to the passing switch, horn.

I'm sure the positioning is no big deal, but switching between this and 2 other bikes with normal switch positions leads to a lot of errant horn beeps.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chutta said:

Being tired of mistakenly hitting the horn rather than the turn signals due to the reversed switch placement, I clocked the control position up about 20-30 degrees, putting the signal switch in the prominent position, still having access to the passing switch, horn.

I'm sure the positioning is no big deal, but switching between this and 2 other bikes with normal switch positions leads to a lot of errant horn beeps.

I'm definitely not a fan of the new horn/turn signal layout!

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Samuelx said:

I'm definitely not a fan of the new horn/turn signal layout!

It's just a question of getting used to it. I'd hate it if I had to go back to the old layout.

Definitely harder if you you own 1 or more bikes of each design.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Serviced the front and rear brakes today,  good by original brake fluid,  hello fresh stuff. 

Also washed and waxed it.  And mounted the givi v47 box and loaded it up with my cool weather gear.  Need to find some reflective decals to put on that givi box now...

• Member Contributer

Washed my 750 and took it for an evening ride just to load it up with bugs again.

Love to listen to the engine whine but with ear plugs sounds a little muted. Will need to look for the perfect plugs.

• Member Contributer

Ran out of gas and found out that I can get 218 miles on one full tank and that the tank has a capacity of 5.565 gallon (pretty accurate to the manual). The reserve lamp never came on! Now, I know!

• Sad 1

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Wald said:

Ran out of gas and found out that I can get 218 miles on one full tank and that the tank has a capacity of 5.565 gallon (pretty accurate to the manual). The reserve lamp never came on! Now, I know!

This engine can be very economical when you are careful.

On the other hand....:wheel:

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer
On 9/30/2021 at 5:07 AM, Wald said:

That is a very useful bit of information which should reduce the chance of it happening.

Did you meet any nice people providing help?

When that has happened to me, more than I'd like to admit (blush), I did meet some very nice peeps while twiddling my thumps while looking forlorn, or pushing my machine toward a refueling station.

• Member Contributer
On 10/1/2021 at 3:36 PM, MaxSwell said:

That is a very useful bit of information which should reduce the chance of it happening.

Did you meet any nice people providing help?

Yes, a couple stopped and offered help. Since I was only 2 miles away from home and they were towing a boat, I did not want to put the through the procedure of getting a canister and fuel while hauling a boat. I called a friend who happened to be almost driving by my house (lucky me)! He grabbed the canister with my lawn mower gas from the shed and I was up and running 15 minutes later.

Since I had full leathers on. walking home to get fuel was not a great alternative.

Thanks for asking MaxSwell.

PS: The last time I ran out of fuel before this, was 25 years ago (prior to cell phones) in the middle of nowhere, but this a whole another story involving a helpful farmer.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Well then, Sunday morning I made a short run up to Madrid, NM to practice on a short set of twisties just north of town.  It's not so much learning how the bike handles, as remembering how it feels just like the '99 VFR800 I had back then.  As I rolled into the driveway upon return, the odometer clicked over to 800 miles. 

Yes, she is another "left behind" VFR 800.  Bought new in 2019 by a young chap who put a whopping 353 miles on the bike, then parked it. 😒  I picked it up in July of this summer, went over the bike carefully and corrected a few small things, and replaced the broken right mirror stalk.  I've been gradually increasing the lean angles on those 2015 tires, now out to the edges and gained my trust in them. 

IMG_2021.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Changed shock. About time too, 317K km! Bottom needle bearing good but bumper totally shot, can only imagine what it’s like inside..dr

3232D72D-369F-488C-99A3-A6A7078EA246.jpeg

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, airwalk said:

Changed shock. About time too, 317K km! Bottom needle bearing good but bumper totally shot, can only imagine what it’s like inside..dr

3232D72D-369F-488C-99A3-A6A7078EA246.jpeg

317000 km? 

Surprised it actually still moved. 

• Member Contributer

Yes, shows how procrastination can pay off in a way, also that luck isn’t always the bad kind. May not be a favourable comment on my maintenance practice though!

• Member Contributer

I suppose that if your demands on suspension are as solid as the newspaper underneath, one could simply continue using that shock :laugh:

• Member Contributer
On 10/4/2021 at 1:45 PM, Wald said:

Yes, a couple stopped and offered help. Since I was only 2 miles away from home and they were towing a boat, I did not want to put the through the procedure of getting a canister and fuel while hauling a boat. I called a friend who happened to be almost driving by my house (lucky me)! He grabbed the canister with my lawn mower gas from the shed and I was up and running 15 minutes later.

Since I had full leathers on. walking home to get fuel was not a great alternative.

Thanks for asking MaxSwell.

PS: The last time I ran out of fuel before this, was 25 years ago (prior to cell phones) in the middle of nowhere, but this a whole another story involving a helpful farmer.

I also have a useful-farmer-to-the-rescue story: (I cannot remember exactly where it happened but it was on the way home from a Sum-Sum gathering in CO.)

It was late in the day and there was a camping sign on the highway directing my up a certain road (no distance information given). So I head that way and ran out of gas before I got to the campground. A family heading home came up behind me and asked if I needed help.

This was in the middle of nowhere in the dark. I explained I was just out of gas. So mom gets out of the van and says she’ll push me to their farm just up the road (on her feet, not with her vehicle). I reluctantly agreed (she explained she was a high-mile runner and it would be no problem for her). By the time we got to there place it was late; I pitched my tent in their yard and everyone went to bed. When I got up they invited me in and fed me a nice breakfast, filled my tank from their on-site tank (5.55 gallons) and would not take any money for the help. I thanked them profusely and heading on my way.

Talk about a Good Samaritan!  

• Like 6

Since bringing my new to me 2014 VFR800f home, It was dead stock with only 3,100 miles on it except for the frame sliders and the Werks exhaust. I was afraid the exhaust might be too loud but it is not at all. I added the following:

Honda OEM tire hugger

Progrip  719 RVGS Gel Grips

Techmount cell phone mount

Motopumps 1.25" bar riser blocks

BLS foot peg lowering blocks

and last but not least a Honda OEM quick shifter.

First time I've had a bike with a quick shifter, this thing is better than sliced bread. I will never have a motorcycle without one again. I was a little reticent because of the price but it's well worth the money.

I also really like the Techmount cell phone holder, most people seem to use the RAM mounts but I just didn't like they way they look. The Techmount is to me a more simple cleaner design.

2014 VFR.jpg

CELL HOLDER.jpg

cell phone.JPG

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Which model tech grip did you get? can’t see a VFR on there website. Is it the same as the CBR1000RR-R (RRRRRR)

Love the Werks exhaust.