What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, Bluehawk said:

Why thank ya, kindly, sir! :smile: Have her here now, all nice and tidy. Seems a great buy.

I know how to look for most things, but... "Seat height adjusting collars, if the seat is currently in the lowest position" ....this is interesting!

No, it's not the lowest setting, looks fairly high [up off the bodywork]. Will deffo read the manual about this. I received a box of parts so maybe it's in there? Dunno what these collars look like yet, but i'll find out.

Thanks so much for your knowledgeable input, as always.

Hi Bluehawk. Good news you have your 8gen.

My bike has the seat in the LOW position so the collars are removed, so if your seat is currently in the HI position they would be installed.

Here's a picture of what they look like.

Enjoy your bike.

20210807_104938.jpg

6 minutes ago, Grum said:

My bike has the seat in the LOW position so the collars are removed, so if your seat is currently in the HI position they would be installed.

Enjoy your bike.

20210807_104938.jpg

Thnx.  Yeah, i can tell i'm going to enjoy this beastie (not as much as my 'bird' but in a different useable way around the scottish twisties).

Hmmm? Brilliant pic Grum. But these beauties are in the spares box! so maybe its not up in a High position like i thought. I will check over weekend....

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Bluehawk said:

Thnx.  Yeah, i can tell i'm going to enjoy this beastie (not as much as my 'bird' but in a different useable way around the scottish twisties).

Hmmm? Brilliant pic Grum. But these beauties are in the spares box! so maybe its not up in a High position like i thought. I will check over weekend....

You bet, it won't be in the hi position, and where the seat meets the tank you will be seeing the clear plastic protection strip on the tank.

• Thanks 1

Funny - I just re-installed the collars.   I had removed them for a while, but I'm trying to get as much "knee relief" as possible and I'm more comfortable with the bike at this point.  Trying to avoid peg lowering blocks if I can, but not sure this will make enough of a difference.   

Note:  Is it just me getting older and being feeble, or are those screws that hold the adjustable bracket hard to get out?   They seem super tight, and getting the right leverage on them is tough even with extenders and good quality bits.    

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, thestumper said:

Note:  Is it just me getting older and being feeble, or are those screws that hold the adjustable bracket hard to get out?   They seem super tight, and getting the right leverage on them is tough even with extenders and good quality bits.

Surprised to hear you say that. Access to the Adjustment Plate bolts is extremely good, even if they were excessively tight there shouldn't be any issue at all, easy to add an extension to the 6mm Allen key if needed.

20210811_115215.jpg

2 minutes ago, Grum said:

Surprised to hear you say that. Access to the Adjustment Plate bolts is extremely good, even if they were excessively tight there shouldn't be any issue at all, easy to add an extension to the 6mm Allen key shouldn't be an issue if needed.

20210811_115215.jpg

That's what I did - added an extension (piece of left-over pipe) to break it.  Just seemed oddly tight.  Access is indeed good but I don't have a key like that - I had to use a hex bit and a socket wrench, which was really tight.  Did that come in the tool kit, per chance?  Might be good to pick one up on the cheap...

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, thestumper said:

That's what I did - added an extension (piece of left-over pipe) to break it.  Just seemed oddly tight.  Access is indeed good but I don't have a key like that - I had to use a hex bit and a socket wrench, which was really tight.  Did that come in the tool kit, per chance?  Might be good to pick one up on the cheap...

Just a standard good quality set of Allen keys!

No not in the kit. It only has a small length 5mm key in the toolkit.

No need to torque these bolts, or have Hercules tighten them, just nice and firm by hand will be more than adequate. YMMV.

• Member Contributer
On 8/7/2021 at 1:36 AM, Bluehawk said:

Cheers Fink. Toooo bad if i haven't. She arrived earlier with a large box of parts  🙂

I'm in Glasgow, how about you?? You might be my nearest vfr neighbour? :fing02:

I'm a bit closer to the West coast, out on the Ardnamurchan peninsula nr Fort William. There was one other but he has sold his now.  Enjoy your new steed.🏍️

I added a stylized Honda wing in black reflective vinyl. 

In addition to the huge reflector panels I applied to my side cases, the machine sure lights up at night.

I can make these things in any colour, if you're interested.

PXL_20210802_233331915.jpg

PXL_20210803_001511798.jpg

Night_luggage.jpg

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

CA07EAC8-B0B4-4B7A-9019-84E948636F6E.thumb.png.866864b9f2e411cd8360b2d4a64f6ea2.pngI did a similar thing to my panniers, love the gold coloured Honda Wing decal.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Philois1984 said:

I did a similar thing to my panniers, love the gold coloured Honda Wing decal.

I was going to add DOT reflective tape to my old 6th gen's OEM hard bags years ago, but never got around to it.  I still have the tape in my tool chest.  😕 

On 8/7/2021 at 1:48 AM, Grum said:

Enjoy your bike.

20210807_104938.jpg

interestingly it's in the high position not low as expected! i shall check and see why the (silver in case) bobbins/spacers are out?? Hmm..

14 hours ago, fink said:

I'm a bit closer to the West coast, out on the Ardnamurchan peninsula nr Fort William. There was one other but he has sold his now.  Enjoy your new steed.🏍️

My friend visited the 'most westerly point' couple of years ago...always banging on about some walk or other. I can't remember what the place was called. He's mentioned Ard. Must be great to live there. True, you are more west. I'm only 4.251W [long] but you're way out there on 6.000W...more wet, more windy, and far more twisties!! :tour: Superb for the vfr. Thanks, i will certainly enjoy.

23 hours ago, thestumper said:

cant see why you should be having bother? There is plenty of access with the seat gone. and as mentioned, a good allen key, or any allen will do it. I have just acquired one and for the first time tried the bolts. easy-peasy...(sorry).

Maybe your previous owner was a grease gorilla, rather than a grease monkey. lol.

Did something today??  Yes.

Checked chain slack on both 6th gen and 8th gen....neither needed adjusting, which i'm pleased with. The single ELF designed arm makes this look soooo simple to adjust. Not had the 'pleasure' of using it yet, but one day, something to look forward to soon!

Buuuut, tell me please, why does the manual for the 6th gen say 'on the main/centre stand' and the manual for the 8th gen says 'on the side stand'??  For years i've always checked and adjusted chain on the main stand, never a side stand!?

Any comments plse?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Bluehawk said:

Buuuut, tell me please, why does the manual for the 6th gen say 'on the main/centre stand' and the manual for the 8th gen says 'on the side stand'??  For years i've always checked and adjusted chain on the main stand, never a side stand!?

Any comments plse?

Ah good point. So you have been studying your Owners Manual.

I'm sure the reasoning is that in the USA, the 8gen comes in the two versions Standard and Deluxe. The standard base model does not have the centre stand. Think by having the manual state Sidestand covers both situations. All 6gen versions had both side and center stands....as far as I'm aware.

My chain slack really doesn't vary between Sidestand and Center Stand measurements. So I have always checked and adjusted it just like the 6gen, being on the center stand, with no issues whatsoever. So, just use the same method as per your 6gen.

You might also notice in the Owners Manual, Specifications Section that it states Idle Speed is "non adjustable" ! Wrong, it has the same idle speed adjustment as the 6gen, its just on the opposite side, just above and forward of the clutch slave cylinder.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bluehawk said:

cant see why you should be having bother? There is plenty of access with the seat gone. and as mentioned, a good allen key, or any allen will do it. I have just acquired one and for the first time tried the bolts. easy-peasy...(sorry).

Maybe your previous owner was a grease gorilla, rather than a grease monkey. lol.

There is anecdotal evidence to suggest he/she was a large person..... 🙂

As is the key in all thing mechanical, it's usually down to having the right tools.   Sometimes I sucks at that....

12 hours ago, thestumper said:

There is anecdotal evidence to suggest he/she was a large person..... 🙂

As is the key in all thing mechanical, it's usually down to having the right tools.   Sometimes I sucks at that....

Just out of interest, i happened to be reading the manual on my new gen 8...[yeah i know, actually reading a real manual!]... and it said these bolts are torqued to a set level (don't have it with me so cant recall the setting), so it's not just had tightened, hence your struggle to release. Sooo, don't feel bad about the tools or inability. And don't blame the overweights either. Seems they are 'meant to be' tough to release. Mine even has white paint [dots] in perfect symmetrical places to show if they've moved. Oooeee! 😉

23 hours ago, Grum said:

Ah good point. So you have been studying your Owners Manual.

My chain slack really doesn't vary between Sidestand and Center Stand measurements. So I have always checked and adjusted it just like the 6gen, being on the center stand, with no issues whatsoever. So, just use the same method as per your 6gen.

You might also notice in the Owners Manual, Specifications Section that it states Idle Speed is "non adjustable" ! Wrong, it has the same idle speed adjustment as the 6gen, its just on the opposite side, just above and forward of the clutch slave cylinder.

Yes, working my way thru it... 'moi intresande', as they say in spain [i think means 'most interesting'], but don't quote me!

Anyroads, I checked with side stand and main stand and found a 4mm difference on the 6g, tighter on the side, more loose on the main. Not enough to do anything about.

Thnx for the idle info, duly noted in the manual now.

• 2 weeks later...

Put Tank Slapper film on the tank for some paint protection.  A complete PITA.   I've applied them before and never had any issue, but I'm not convinced the cut outs were specific to the 2014 model year.  In the past, I just used a credit card and my fingers for smoothing - this time after a couple of failed attempts I had to break down and get one of those detailer squeegees.  It worked for the back part of the tank, but doesn't look as glass-smooth as previous installations. 

I don't know if I will even attempt the side tank panels - they don't seem to line up with anything without going under trim pieces or overlapping the rear tank piece.   The rear is the important one - at I least that's on and hopefully it sticks.   

Put the "spud" (DbKiller) back into my Delkevic exhaust.  As much as I liked the sound, it was just too loud.  It still sounds good, but it's lost that "punch you in the gut" immediacy it had.  Definitely better than stock, but not as compelling as the full-on brutality of an uncorked system.   

At least now I don't have to roll down hill with the clutch full in to avoid too much attention at 7:00 AM.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thestumper said:

Put the "spud" (DbKiller) back into my Delkevic exhaust.  As much as I liked the sound, it was just too loud.  It still sounds good, but it's lost that "punch you in the gut" immediacy it had.  Definitely better than stock, but not as compelling as the full-on brutality of an uncorked system.   

At least now I don't have to roll down hill with the clutch full in to avoid too much attention at 7:00 AM.   

I have a db killer in the SC-Project exhaust on my BMW.  It sounds good as-is, but I'm tempted to pull it out to hear how much louder it is without the baffle.  I'm not a fan of loud exhausts, but I am curious so I'll probably give it a try soon.

19 hours ago, TimC said:

I have a db killer in the SC-Project exhaust on my BMW.  It sounds good as-is, but I'm tempted to pull it out to hear how much louder it is without the baffle.  I'm not a fan of loud exhausts, but I am curious so I'll probably give it a try soon.

I installed my Delkevic with the baffle removed, so I didn't appreciate the difference until I popped it back in.  Without it, It sounded great at first, but on a long ride the drone would start to get annoying.   I was surprised at how much difference the 'spud' made when on the bike.  I still sounds good off the bike, but appears much less fatiguing on the bike with the helmet on at speed.    Need to go on a longer ride to really get a good sense of it.  

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 8/12/2021 at 2:31 AM, Bluehawk said:

Did something today??  Yes.

Checked chain slack on both 6th gen and 8th gen....neither needed adjusting, which i'm pleased with. The single ELF designed arm makes this look soooo simple to adjust. Not had the 'pleasure' of using it yet, but one day, something to look forward to soon!

Any comments plse?

Becaust the good ole USA got a model without a centrestand, and no doubt Honda would have to deal with a resulting liabile case. Thats the only reason I can think of. 

• Like 1