What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

Took the baffle out of the Akra to annoy the neighbours some more, fitted a Scottoiler and went for a little run along the NE Scottish coast

Edited by LoveViffers
Add another what I did

Not today but Sunday - rode it (in the rain!) to the the famous Ace Cafe in North London for the Honda Owner's Club UK's 60th Anniversary Honda Day. Quite a few bikes there of all sizes and ages from Cubs to Gold Wings. Mine not looking bad for 50,000 miles plus.

2021-07-04_12 Essex HOC at Ace Cafe Honda day.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Replaced a set of worn out Pirelli Angel GT (1950 miles, Yes 1950) with a set of pilot powers that I got at a very reasonable price .  Bedded them in today. Not having used sports tyres in over a decade last set being Bt016, I quite like them but no doubt will kill them off in  no time. 

Angel GT.jpg

22 minutes ago, VFR4Me said:

I rode it to/ from work in 100° weather... wish I would have worn my mesh pants today instead of my non vented pants over my jeans...ugh

If it's over 95°f, the airflow thru the mesh will make you hotter than if you are sealed up.  You'll dehydrate faster also.  It's better to seal up, or use vents to give a little airflow.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Sparkie said:

If it's over 95°f, the airflow thru the mesh will make you hotter than if you are sealed up.  You'll dehydrate faster also.  It's better to seal up, or use vents to give a little airflow.

Yes, and no.....

Rode in vented jacket and pants for 200 miles today, at 95-102 degree temps.

Long sleeve T-shirt and base layer bottoms made it more than bearable.

Same principal, different gear.

• Member Contributer

As above, joined the new tire club today.  Got Road 2's (love these tires) from a vendor on Amazon.  The ones coming off had 7,933 miles on them.  They would have gone longer, but a long trip is upcoming and I wanted new rubber.  I taught myself to DIY my tire changes, so that makes it go down easier.  Plus I don't have to wait for a shop and make multiple trips to drop off / pick up.

Filling up at Costco the day prior.  For those of you that have not been to a Costco previously - some have enormous capacity - this one can fill 24 cars at a time - 8 lanes each 3 deep.  This was in the a.m. so it was still slow.   I asked once when an 18 wheel truck was there filling the underground tanks how many of those they get per week - maybe one every few days?  The reply floored me - they told me that they get 3 or 4 delivery trucks every day! 

948709112_Capture1.thumb.JPG.684400963921235fe390c575db6eabbf.JPG

Installing the front.  If you have the right tools, this is not a bad job at all.  I've done around 15 sets now for both myself and friends.  The block of wood was to keep the tire lever from resting on the rotor.  Just after this photo was shot the lever came around the steel bar clockwise to finish it off - it was complete in under a minute.  Note the lube on the tire bead - it would be nearly impossible without it.  Levering the tire off is just as easy - just use the opposite end of the bar with the removal bit on it. The hardest part for me might be breaking the bead.  I have a home-made setup using a 2x4 and some other wood pieces.  It works, but it's by no means elegant - but it gets 'er done.  Note the car rim underneath - kind of hard to see (there is heater hose around the perimeter so no wheel scratches) to keep the rotor from touching anything.   I have not switched to metal stems - probably should - so I change the stems with every set of tires.  Just like the tires - they break down with time. 

Link to the tire lever - I consider it a good investment - very happy with it.  (Looks like the price has gone up since I bought mine).

https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm

1752907071_Capture3.thumb.JPG.aae785906da1427547d72f95e2aa3e8e.JPG

Comparison of the rear tire old / new.  Not bad at all for that mileage.  Note the arrows (added) showing the edge of the harder, center compound.  That concept really works.  I was very happy with the way these hold up. 

2095274028_Capture4.thumb.JPG.3b2e69b33cdd9a0525279dd154a8cb2c.JPG

Baby's got new shoes . . .

While I was at it, I have some Colorite paint in the OEM color for the wheels.  The rear was showing some chips from use and the front had a scratch, so I sanded and re-shot and cleared them before installing the new tires.  The photos don't show it, but it just freshened things up nicely. 

I'd guess I have around $225 total in the tire lever, Marc Parnes balancer, the car wheel ($5), and miscellaneous items like valve stem tool, a selection of weights and other things.  That was probably paid for after the 2nd set of tires.  These tires were $220 shipped, so that's my total cost going down the road. 

2137839676_Capture5.thumb.JPG.ab574eb2b3ca748ad217c6f3510886fa.JPG

• Like 5

just to comment on your costco experience...here in NJ, they are fueling 16 cars at a time, the Trucks come 6 times a day to refill  tanks. They have the lowest prices in the area

10 hours ago, Cogswell said:

As above, joined the new tire club today.  Got Road 2's (love these tires) from a vendor on Amazon.  The ones coming off had 7,933 miles on them.  They would have gone longer, but a long trip is upcoming and I wanted new rubber.  I taught myself to DIY my tire changes, so that makes it go down easier.  Plus I don't have to wait for a shop and make multiple trips to drop off / pick up.

Filling up at Costco the day prior.  For those of you that have not been to a Costco previously - some have enormous capacity - this one can fill 24 cars at a time - 8 lanes each 3 deep.  This was in the a.m. so it was still slow.   I asked once when an 18 wheel truck was there filling the underground tanks how many of those they get per week - maybe one every few days?  The reply floored me - they told me that they get 3 or 4 delivery trucks every day! 

948709112_Capture1.thumb.JPG.684400963921235fe390c575db6eabbf.JPG

Installing the front.  If you have the right tools, this is not a bad job at all.  I've done around 15 sets now for both myself and friends.  The block of wood was to keep the tire lever from resting on the rotor.  Just after this photo was shot the lever came around the steel bar clockwise to finish it off - it was complete in under a minute.  Note the lube on the tire bead - it would be nearly impossible without it.  Levering the tire off is just as easy - just use the opposite end of the bar with the removal bit on it. The hardest part for me might be breaking the bead.  I have a home-made setup using a 2x4 and some other wood pieces.  It works, but it's by no means elegant - but it gets 'er done.  Note the car rim underneath - kind of hard to see (there is heater hose around the perimeter so no wheel scratches) to keep the rotor from touching anything.   I have not switched to metal stems - probably should - so I change the stems with every set of tires.  Just like the tires - they break down with time. 

Link to the tire lever - I consider it a good investment - very happy with it.  (Looks like the price has gone up since I bought mine).

https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm

1752907071_Capture3.thumb.JPG.aae785906da1427547d72f95e2aa3e8e.JPG

Comparison of the rear tire old / new.  Not bad at all for that mileage.  Note the arrows (added) showing the edge of the harder, center compound.  That concept really works.  I was very happy with the way these hold up. 

2095274028_Capture4.thumb.JPG.3b2e69b33cdd9a0525279dd154a8cb2c.JPG

Baby's got new shoes . . .

While I was at it, I have some Colorite paint in the OEM color for the wheels.  The rear was showing some chips from use and the front had a scratch, so I sanded and re-shot and cleared them before installing the new tires.  The photos don't show it, but it just freshened things up nicely. 

I'd guess I have around $225 total in the tire lever, Marc Parnes balancer, the car wheel ($5), and miscellaneous items like valve stem tool, a selection of weights and other things.  That was probably paid for after the 2nd set of tires.  These tires were $220 shipped, so that's my total cost going down the road. 

2137839676_Capture5.thumb.JPG.ab574eb2b3ca748ad217c6f3510886fa.JPG

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I've seen the price difference between Costco and neighboring stations as high as $.70 per gallon, though here it averages between $.25 and $.50 depending upon how rapidly prices are changing.  What I save on gas alone more than pays for the membership.  I also like that their pumps are always in good condition and can meter out fuel slowly so I can get it filled to the top without spilling. 

IIRC New Jersey is the only other state besides Oregon that does not allow one to pump their own gas.  In OR bikes are allowed to IF the attendant hands you the hose.  Beyond the pale stupid - yes.  COST is good about it though - they just let bikers go about their business and leave you alone.  If you're in your car apparently you are suddenly too stupid to do it yourself . . . I didn't realize that our lawmakers are so smart.  :unsure:

They leave motorcycles alone in NJ. They would dare want to be responsible for scratching someone’s tank or spilling gas, lol but the credit card thing can be different from stations to station…in and out, swipe, wait until it tells you to remove card…it has caught me off guard when I do pump myself…

• Member Contributer

The first time I filled up my VFR in Oregon, I was floored tha the attendant wanted to fill my tank. So I said "Go ahead." Before he could start I could tell he did not know what to do. He looked at me with clueless eyes, so I said I'd do it and he was noticeably relieved. And I was noticeably happier! In the store to pay I asked why and was told it was to increase employment. I thought to my self "How much job satisfaction is there in that job." and went on my way shaking my head.

I just got the Michelin Pilot Road 2s mounted, added a rear tire hugger, threw a bunch of stuff on it and am currently in Dalhart, TX getting ready to ride to Grand Junction, CO tomorrow morning. 20210714_113925.thumb.jpg.12a616c6079481a02677783c84f9d545.jpgThe long way.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, SchlepRock said:

I just got the Michelin Pilot Road 2s mounted, added a rear tire hugger, threw a bunch of stuff on it and am currently in Dalhart, TX getting ready to ride to Grand Junction, CO tomorrow morning. 20210714_113925.thumb.jpg.12a616c6079481a02677783c84f9d545.jpgThe long way.

Post up pics along the way if you can. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a 2014 with 10k miles and full luggage. Rode it 107 miles home.

Discovered that the suspension needs some fettling, it seems to notice every bump and feels quite harsh (front and rear). I need to improve that!

Also discovered that it's way lower than I was expecting - need to increase the rear ride height somehow as well. 

Need some better pics, excuse the mess, packed up and ready to move house.

29426b53-6207-4e6f-8731-c2bac7fae451.thumb.jpeg.e79300169762a70e1f565eca8e3f80d8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Cleared the garage around it so I could get to it. Then refitted a charged battery. Wheeled it out & it fired up first press of the starter. I topped up the tyre pressures, tested everything still works & booked it in for an MoT on Tuesday morning 👍

• Like 3

What did i do? Bought one! A 2015 in clean-looking pearly white.

Being delivered this evening. Leaving work early haha.  :bliss: 

Guess i should also read the manual like "Dalemac", or "Thumbs" will notice i haven't a clue about seat heights either, or how to adjust them! haha. We all have to learn; never had an adjustable seat before .... my arse always stays in the same place :laugh:

Anyone want a 2009 (6th gen) in candy red with 12,900 miles?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Bluehawk said:

Guess i should also read the manual like "Dalemac", or "Thumbs" will notice i haven't a clue about seat heights either, or how to adjust them! haha. We all have to learn; never had an adjustable seat before .... my arse always stays in the same place :laugh:

Congratulations Bluehawk.

Make sure you get these items.

- Pillion grab handles and blanking plates.

- Rear cowl.

- Rear seat.

- Seat height adjusting collars, if the seat is currently in the lowest position.

- 2 keys.

- Owners manual.

- Check the tool kit, chain adjuster and handle.

Hope you enjoy your new ride, love my 8gen.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Bluehawk said:

Well done on your new purchase. Make sure you get the stuff Grum listed.    Whereabouts on the West Coast are you?

13 hours ago, Grum said:

Congratulations Bluehawk.

Make sure you get these items.

- Pillion grab handles and blanking plates.

- Rear cowl.

- Rear seat.

- Seat height adjusting collars, if the seat is currently in the lowest position.

- 2 keys.

- Owners manual.

- Check the tool kit, chain adjuster and handle.

Hope you enjoy your new ride, love my 8gen.

Cheers.

Why thank ya, kindly, sir! :smile: Have her here now, all nice and tidy. Seems a great buy.

I know how to look for most things, but... "Seat height adjusting collars, if the seat is currently in the lowest position" ....this is interesting!

No, it's not the lowest setting, looks fairly high [up off the bodywork]. Will deffo read the manual about this. I received a box of parts so maybe it's in there? Dunno what these collars look like yet, but i'll find out.

Thanks so much for your knowledgeable input, as always.

13 hours ago, fink said:

Well done on your new purchase. Make sure you get the stuff Grum listed.    Whereabouts on the West Coast are you?

Cheers Fink. Toooo bad if i haven't. She arrived earlier with a large box of parts  :)

I'm in Glasgow, how about you?? You might be my nearest vfr neighbour? :fing02: