What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Presson said:

Fitted Goodrich speed bleeders and changed the brake fluid. Why hadn't I found these before. So much easier especially on the rear. Then did an illicit 50 miles ( we are still under restrictions in the UK) to check the brakes and explore the limit of adhesion. 

Damn you! I've been holding out this week and it's been so difficult with the great weather. :beer:

• Member Contributer

So are you subject to fine or arrest if you are out riding?   Here we have mask requirement and limited gatherings, but as far as being out on the roads, there's been no restriction other than the weather. 

Only essential travel allowed although police forces are not all equal in how they enforce that. I'm hoping that if stopped my need to source a new 'flange handle' will avoid the £250 fine....

1 hour ago, Presson said:

Only essential travel allowed although police forces are not all equal in how they enforce that. I'm hoping that if stopped my need to source a new 'flange handle' will avoid the £250 fine....

Don't forget to give your name as Mr D Cummings, they'll wave you on your way with a smile.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, SEdwards said:

Don't forget to give your name as Mr D Cummings, they'll wave you on your way with a smile.

Or put 2 caps in the back of your head....... :tongue:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Nice hugger! :fing02:

What brand and do they make 'm for the VFR750F 90-97 as well??

• Member Contributer

Replaced my air filter. Still had the original one fitted, didn’t look too bad to me ? But I changed it anyway. Tank only had around 1 to 2 litres of fuel which made it much easier. Made sure the breather hose wasn’t kinked when I lowered the tank.E83D1F57-4D55-4E78-8036-A3CE34E895C0.thumb.jpeg.78d269283bb088fe37c8c24f4f778457.jpegE43D07A1-44CF-45BF-8070-B2492B2CEC17.thumb.jpeg.6ba4b8ea2d8e624a20f38db7c6347ff1.jpegB67C3FD1-6B72-42FA-B174-030C152F3859.thumb.jpeg.e9e8d92b49590feb86c8f5fc89885541.jpeg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Nice job Philois1984. Yes, very important with the 8gen to pull on the breather hose to take up the slack while you're lowering the tank back down.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, VFR4Me said:

Went for a ride... wasn't out for long,  but it felt good

And of course its supposed to snow tomorrow

Yeah, stepped out to my garage 2 days ago to see snow quietly falling.

No test ride that day.

Spent the day installing new brake and turn signal additions.

Started the bike just to hear the sound.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 5/7/2021 at 6:26 PM, VifferCrab said:

Did a thing…

E839D8CC-0B40-4985-B51A-CE904BE9A9F7.jpeg

OoooooH! That's going to be a beauty.

On 4/14/2021 at 10:50 PM, Philois1984 said:

Replaced my air filter. Still had the original one fitted, didn’t look too bad to me ? But I changed it anyway. Tank only had around 1 to 2 litres of fuel which made it much easier. Made sure the breather hose wasn’t kinked when I lowered the tank.E83D1F57-4D55-4E78-8036-A3CE34E895C0.thumb.jpeg.78d269283bb088fe37c8c24f4f778457.jpegE43D07A1-44CF-45BF-8070-B2492B2CEC17.thumb.jpeg.6ba4b8ea2d8e624a20f38db7c6347ff1.jpegB67C3FD1-6B72-42FA-B174-030C152F3859.thumb.jpeg.e9e8d92b49590feb86c8f5fc89885541.jpeg

That filter is quite bad by our standards. On the other hand we had small vendors picking up our trash, oil and air filters to be shipped to Caribbean for reuse. They were considered like new down there... 😉 

On 5/12/2021 at 10:40 PM, MaxSwell said:

OoooooH! That's going to be a beauty.

Excuse the little bit of oil that splashed on the window...  I had just hopped off it and snapped a quick iPhone pic...

And there appears to be a gigantic tree growing out of my gas tank.   THAT part was not a SebSpeed custom part.

88BE4F74-424C-434A-AADC-AF630C0A1490.jpeg

281901D4-5F48-4838-AB5E-8FD873DD6E24.jpeg

B7AEA5B0-E09C-45F5-8AF5-E0F33461298A.jpeg

• Like 5

• Member Contributer

So more like what didn't I do, but...bike badly needs a starter valve sync and idle reset.  Runs great with everything fixed up on the electrical side over the last few months but often doesn't like starting. 

I can't get to it because the guy I sold the bike to in 2011 waaaaay overtightened exactly one of the airbox screws, and now its rounded out.  Have to wait for a new one before I really go to town on it. 😡

• Member Contributer

Finally got around to fitting an 847 today.  I've had no problems with the 6th gen  OEM R/R but after 32,000 miles its output had become less stable. I have a Datel voltmeter and where it used to run at a steady 14.6v, it was moving around more between about 14.5v and 14.8v.  The latter was making me uneasy b/c if it begins to fail and spikes too high it can possibly affect the ECU.  This is an easier swap than I think widely believed and a great upgrade for the stator's life.  Got it from Jack at Roadstercycle.  The kit is really clean and very robust.  If you're not familiar, the 847 is a series regulator that only turns the stator on as needed vs OEM which runs the stator flat out at all times and shunts excess current off as heat.  There are more details on that topic on the Roadster website. 

This is Mello Dude's flip plate.  The 2 protruding bolts are carriage bolts that secure in square holes in the plate and mount the 847.  The 2 chamfered holes with the flathead screws mount to the stock 6th gen R/R mounting holes. 

image.png.ff5f7a61b33cc64a3ada8d5e9f2956a1.png

A minor issue on a 6th gen is the fairing stay (below).  If installed over the carriage bolt head, the stay will be pushed slightly out of position. To keep the stay in the correct place a stack of 3 washers was added to clearance the plate so it doesn't interfere with it.

image.png.a276c5ea319d6d0ea7f8f8ca093bc24d.png

View of washer insert. 

image.png.fe77484f4053f9e99fb088b85cdc5bc1.png

Final install, below.  Once the 847 is bolted to the plate it covers the 2 chamfered mounting bolts preventing them from backing out, so no need for Loctite or similar.  For the 847 mounting bolts I had 2 nuts with nylon locking collars laying around.  Once snug, this install is rock solid.  Note the wiring - very robust.  The connectors come crimped and sealed so very clean.  Note that now the stator connector will be on the stator side of the bike.  I ordered the 847 with 4 feet of battery wire and 3 feet of stator wire and sheathing for the stator wires.  The sheathing is not necessary, but does keep the wires bundled when threading them beneath the throttle body.   I trimmed the stator wires but left enough for a short loop inside the frame so that in the event of any damage to the wires or connectors I can pull a bit more through and re-connect.  The battery wire turned out to be too long, so rather than cut and re-connect, etc, I created a loop of wire  behind the rear cam cover and zip tied it.  The stock R/R connector can just be seen under the black 847 connector tucked behind the radiator mount post.   Just tape it off and leave it. 

image.png.b034d0714c12e40e5a880243ee2d61af.png

This is a comparison of the stock R/R with the 847.  The stock R/R initially confused me and I'm sure others with its multiple wires.  The two pair of red/white and green are duplicate wires as the gauge of the wires is less than desireable.  The 847 uses much heavier wires allowing for a single strand run of wire. 

image.png.e0d8de51e758041e2c9b48a5b3d60ff0.png

Part of my electrical system maintenance routine is to treat connectors with Oxgard and these were no exception. 

image.png.cd5fb3ddfd6a4bc84463bca4b9cdbc11.png

My stator connectors are done with Posi-locks.  The nice thing about them is that their locking collars screw in to the connector barrel, making them field serviceable without tools and makes stator removal a snap.  I've run these on my stator for years with no issue. This is a spare set of various sizes I carry.  Co-incidentally the yellow ones are the gauge needed for the stator wires.  The 847 kit wiring has thicker insulation than typical, so I had to use a drill to open the collar diameter slightly - makes for a very rugged and tight fit.  The 847 is an easy bolt-on upgrade and IMHO would probably solve many owners' electrical gremlins.

image.png.0bfed58091c22a23e28a2c83b65cbb7f.png

• Like 6

I took advantage of a rainy day (to be followed by many more if the forecast is correct) to install a new Hyperpro shock/spring on my "new" 2014 VFR.  Tomorrow, I'll install new fork springs and oil.   Hopefully these upgrades will be better suited for my height/weight and I'll be done with mods for this bike.    

• Member Contributer

Well, after I washed and waxed my Interceptor last Saturday, I treated myself to a one hour spin at lunch. 50 miles on back roads (awesome!)

Trying to bring the tires to the end of their lifecycle.