What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

• Member Contributer

Seeing as the equivalent Crossrunner topic has been closed.....bled the front brakes today and cleaned up the pistons. Fitted some Speed Bleeders whilst I was at it which made the whole process so much easier.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, HareBrain said:

Hi-tech upgrade. The right grip had got too smooth and shiny, giving me hand fatigue from having to hold it tight to stop the throttle closing, so I wrapped it in a piece of old bicycle inner tube. Works brilliantly.

Have you tried these https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/scottoiler-crampbuster-regular-throttle-rest-539501, work great for me. 

Hmmm...better check the brake fluid level.

Nex minit:

It is OK to run the hydraulics on used diesel oil and mud isn't it?  They seemed (surprisingly!) to work averagely well on this before I opened it up (after 20 years). Apparently a similar viscosity, appearance and rank smelling oil was common to the forks too.

IMG_20210303_174552.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kiwiwannafly said:

Apparently sarcasm is wearing its stealth cloak today.

😂 mate I have seen everything, almost, yeah I have seen oil in brake systems and other stuff too.  Big giveaway, they didn’t have radial calipers 20 years ago..,

4 minutes ago, Magneto said:

😂 mate I have seen everything, almost, yeah I have seen oil in brake systems and other stuff too.  

😄 this is a sadly neglected old girl ex England where they do nice stuff like put salt on the roads.  Ok if you wash that shit off every 5,6,7....years.  Never mind, she's found a loving home now.

1 hour ago, Magneto said:

Yep, uk bikes are the tattiest. Not sure why... How it make too NZ? Bloody tourists?😀

I'd say in someones big suitcase when they moved here. Apart from the speedo and odometer in miles I'm pretty happy now.  But OMG the hash butchery of the electrics!  Bought it as a non go-er from a guy who said the electrics were dead, even with a brand new battery.  After I got it home I pressed the kill switch ton 'on'. Everything lights up - but no starter motor. A set of starter motor brushes later fired up first time.  But ran a bit warm - one radiator with a bad split. Fixed that, then took it for a little 600km test run, changed the sludge, ran it again and changed again, this time with filter. Re done the horrible crimp on wire patches, new chain (story about that elsewhere on here), new 929 shock mods, rebuilt forks, brakes, paint job on body, wheels and forks.  Hope to roll again soon before winter descends. But whatever - we ride 365 trying to ignore wet undies.

• Like 1

God gracious, looks like they rode them wheels off! So much work on a new bike? We are spoiled down here with low mileage, well taken care of bikes, whatever is less than 10 years old I call it new. People buy them for coolness factor then don’t ride much. My record so far was 2006 SV1000 with 295 miles on the clock, I got it in 2017. Owner tried to learn how to ride on liter bike...😇

You find a TL1000 with that kind of milage, stick it in a big suitcase and I'll shout you a trip to NZ. Yeah, did a m/c license test in California years ago on a GS750. The guy rolled his eyes when he saw the bike, but couple of minutes into the slow speed stuff he flagged the rest and said "so, you're already pretty familiar with bikes".

Sold my R90/6 in Miami after a trip from Ca to Alaska north of the polar circle & back, then x-country via the south. Flew to England, bought a K100, did Europe & Turkey return, then shipped it to NZ. Many miles on it here before heading around Oz on a TransAlp.  Then back to Europe and grabbed another TransAlp for a round trip of Africa. Unfortunately covid put that idea on hold at the Moroccan-Mauritania border. Couple of months there locked down before I could get back to Europe and then head back to NZ - for another couple of weeks in isolation before getting turned loose on the latest acquisition.

• Like 4

Quite story there Kiwi👍 I am stuck on treadmill myself but good to know there are people who live the life fully. 

I did the motorcycle endorsement on my ZRX in previous century, Lady wasn’t surprised but lectured me about not doing stoppie on brake check strip. Sorry, it’s my new bike lady ;-)

Which TL you are looking for? Now and then I check for well preserved R model

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

New rubber!                           (disclaimer: this is not a VFR--but close!)

Replaced the aging Pirelli Angel GT's with fresh Michelin Power 5's. Why are new tires so exciting? 

Aside from a 1000 mile 36-hour Sierra trip with some VFRD hooligans, I realized the RC-51's miles have all been local, dry, and track day, so I went for sportier rubber. Also, the rear is a 190/55, which I loved on my 7th gen, vs. the 190/50 Pirelli.

First ride today, photos below. Took it easy, but felt great--easier roll-in and better bump compliance. Don't know about edge grip yet.

And last but certainly not least, I also installed the performance part I've been searching for, finally found exactly the right one, bottom photo.

IMG_6092.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG

• Like 5

I have that performance part in RWB and can say that it made so much difference that I had to put one on the back of my helmet just to keep up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

New rubber!                           (disclaimer: this is not a VFR--but close!)

Replaced the aging Pirelli Angel GT's with fresh Michelin Power 5's. Why are new tires so exciting? 

I think for the same reason that first date with a supermodel is . . . :wub:  :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I think for the same reason that first date with a supermodel is . . . :wub:  :laugh:

And you know about that from past experience. Right?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

And you know about that from past experience. Right?

Classified.  I could tell you, but then of course I'd have to kill you . . . :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Fitted Goodrich speed bleeders and changed the brake fluid. Why hadn't I found these before. So much easier especially on the rear. Then did an illicit 50 miles ( we are still under restrictions in the UK) to check the brakes and explore the limit of adhesion.