What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VFR78 said:

Found this buckle in the rim a few weeks ago. Not sure whether it was from a cattle grid in far west Queensland or one of my local goat tracks. Didn’t ever lose pressure, but I couldn’t sleep at night. Repairing it mucked up the finish so I had the rims painted black.

E5497EA4-B5B5-4834-89F9-367685F37C4A.jpeg

Mate. That looks Great. I've always liked the OEM bronze but the black with red trim tape looks very smart love it.

Here's a tip....buy yourself a tube of Autosol Metal Polish and polish up the nice nickel chrome exhaust just under your right footpeg, it does a great job. Here's my bike and after 76,000k pipe looks like new.

Cheers.

20201102_125055.jpg

MetalPolishTube.jpg

• Like 5

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VFR78 said:

Found this buckle in the rim a few weeks ago. Not sure whether it was from a cattle grid in far west Queensland or one of my local goat tracks. Didn’t ever lose pressure, but I couldn’t sleep at night. Repairing it mucked up the finish so I had the rims painted black.

E5497EA4-B5B5-4834-89F9-367685F37C4A.jpeg

I agree with Grum - that does look great.  Looks like you painted the clutch cover as well . . . ? Just curious - how did you have the rim repaired?   Around here shops that do that will not touch a motorcycle wheel. 

• Member Contributer

Guys,

I will get some Autosol ASAP. Tend to just give it a once over with Jif, when the road gunk builds up, but you have made me feel very slack!

The clutch cover has an R&G protector over it. I have to admit I dropped the Viffer about a month after I bought it in 2014, during a walking pace U turn and put some minor marks on the clutch cover and the upper fairing . Hence the R&G cover, the US Interceptor badges and the fake carbon patches up high.

The wheel was fixed by a motorcycle smash repairer in Sydney with minor heat I think. They send the wheels out to a Sydney wheel guru, if it’s too much for them or to an uber wheel guru in Melbourne, if it’s really bad.

I sent photos to a few wheel guys, before I bit the bullet, and all were confident they could fix it, but would damage the bronze colour. I would not have changed the colour, if the bronze wasn’t damaged.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Put some new soft luggage on from Tourmaster and headed down to Philadelphia for a night ride. Bags shifted forward somehow, right bag coming to rest on top of muffler. Later I realized it had lightly fried a 2" spot on the bag. Right under the can of fix a flat I had in there. That could've been a hot gooey mess. So I discreetly bungeed the bags to the license bracket area to keep them pulled back and away from exhaust. But this seemed like a good excuse to order a semi=shorty Delkevic. Plus I'm trading up to a RideOn sealant instead...

vfr streets of phila.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, RC79NC001 said:

After 72000 mi on my VFR the rear pads are still original and mostly unused....

Holy cow! 115,872kms! :ohmy: That's Unbelievable, do you actually use your rear brake? Must be a hell of a lot of highway riding with that distance surely.

My 8gen OEM rear pads were spent at 49,000kms, I thought that was good going! Fitted EBC 488 HH's

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Grum,

I'm like you - I use my rear brake a lot, so my rear pads wear out more or less at the same time as the fronts. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Grum,

I'm like you - I use my rear brake a lot, so my rear pads wear out more or less at the same time as the fronts. 

Me too. I always try to get what I can out of the rear wheel braking and maximizing what I can from front, always aiming to achieve optimum brake balance. That's what I've been taught by the experts.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grum said:

Holy cow! 115,872kms! :ohmy: That's Unbelievable, do you actually use your rear brake? Must be a hell of a lot of highway riding with that distance surely.

My 8gen OEM rear pads were spent at 49,000kms, I thought that was good going! Fitted EBC 488 HH's

I had 70,000 miles on my rear pads too! I mean I took them out to clean the caliper etc. Recently I went with some sort of organic pad set up and cleaned the caliper and used new seals etc. I recently got a new braided brake line too from the UK. No pictures but bike has all steel lines around like all my other stuff has. Beautiful build quality not duplicated now, love these bikes.

Here's my front pad only history.

Original Pads replaced at 33801 Mi with Ferodos ,did not care for the way the Ferodos felt. They were replaced after 18290 Mi with CL set 1.

Ferodos replaced at 52091 Mi with CL Pads. CL1 set 1 was replaced after 20200 Mi with CL set 2. The pads you see in the picture are CL1 at the end of life and CL2 at the beginning.

The CLs suit my aggressive MotoGP wannabe style.

I suspect the rear pads will remain OEM well into the 100k mi zone.. 

I watch a lot of MotoGp and try to copy the style.....discreetly on the street.

Suspension upgrade in 2018 probably a factor in increased riding aggression...and resulting tire wear/ brake pad life.

• Member Contributer
On 1/7/2021 at 6:12 AM, RC79NC001 said:

After 72000 mi on my VFR the rear pads are still original and mostly unused....

2 hours ago, RC79NC001 said:

I just don't use my back brake....much.

Mate PLEASE, change your braking technique. Proper coordinated use of both front and rear is what pulls you up the quickest when needed. Not to mention the importance of the rear brake under certain cornering conditions and the feathering of the rear brake in slow walking pace riding etc. And especially in wet conditions.

In an EMERGENCY proper braking technique of both front AND rear, seriously, could save your life!!!

72,000miles on the OEM rear pads, and mostly unused is Extraordinary!!!! 

Safe riding. :fing02:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Replaced plugs, tightened chain, took a wheel to the shop to have a new tire mounted. Put my tail and left side faring back on. Tomorrow I put the front wheel back on and I'm ready to ride some but the weather won't cooperate this weekend, today was gorgeous. 

• Member Contributer
On 10/24/2020 at 12:59 PM, Badger1 said:

I installed a front fender extender to minimize the gunk I'm picking up from the road. Too bad the front wheel had to come off.

20201024_114713.jpg

20201024_101733.jpg

Have you noticed that it makes much difference? I've really been considering on getting one for my 6th gen, but haven't been convinced it was long enough to provide much benefit - Cheers!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 2/13/2021 at 10:10 PM, Badger1 said:

After a ride, there used to be grit on the valve cover. I wanted to prevent the beautiful bronze from getting sandblasted over time. 

16132539493352925963671427513877.jpg

Wish my front cover looked like that. Despite a fender extender the British winters have taken its toll.

On 8/11/2020 at 6:53 AM, Thumbs said:

You obviously haven’t ridden much in California  .....

Harden up guys - met a fellow idiot in Western Australia, sheltering under the one tree for hundreds of kms. His Enfield had a thermometer attached - 52C. Science experiment for the day: evaporative cooling of a water soaked t-shirt in extreme heat and low humidity conditions  - i.e. WA 50+ degree day, long way from the coast and a bit of humidity, 90-100km/hr.  Felt cooling effect for approximately 180 seconds. At 240 seconds bone dry.

Nope - wasn't going to wear leathers that day.....

On 2/21/2021 at 12:24 AM, Magneto said:

At least it’s a dry heat😀 I would rig camelback so it is dripping...

Have you tried ice west?

And when your camel back runs dry and you've still got 300km to the next road house (for those not familiar - there aint NOTHING in between road houses)??

Yeah, and the ice WEST (assume you mean VEST)...the chances of finding a freezer every hundred km out there is ....oh yeah, there's one next to the snowflake on the flying pig!

Parts of Western Australia can be pretty hard core. Rivals Western Sahara.  I know - rode thru both.

• Like 1