What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

1 hour ago, Skids said:

Yup. Guilty as charged, M'lud. :laugh:

You can't seriously enjoy riding in these temps? It's like someone is stood in front of you with a huge hairdryer, blowing hot air all over you. Which is fine whilst yr a bit sweaty, but as soon as it's all evaporated, yr just left toasting. 

Yup. Guilty as charged, M'lud. :laugh:

You can't seriously enjoy riding in these temps? It's like someone is stood in front of you with a huge hairdryer, blowing hot air all over you. Which is fine whilst yr a bit sweaty, but as soon as it's all evaporated, yr just left toasting. 

But it’s a dry heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Returned from 4700km ride through outback Queensland (Sydney, Coffs Harbour, Moree, Roma, Augathella, Quilpie, Windorah, Longreach, Emerald, Miles, Inverell, Port Macquarie, Sydney) and spend a couple of hours debugging the Viffer. Luckily the Covid-19 restrictions post dated the ride. Whew. The country folks were well organised and kept everyone under control.

Changed the oil and filter and cleaned up the chain. Used Honda HP4 10W30 for the first time in 53,000kms. Have been using Motul 7100 10W40 for the last 47,000km and wanted to check if the Honda recommended grade cooled the motor a little. The HP4 was like pouring cooking oil into the bike. It seems pretty thin. It’s a semi synthetic so maybe it was the wrong call.

I have been using Dunlop Roadsmart 3s from the first change and easily get 20,000kms out of a rear. I’m a 68 year old so my boy racer days have vanished, maybe that is why the tyres last. Plenty of good and bad reviews for the Roadsmart 3s, but I like them.

I had to replace the water pump at 43,000kms after noticing coolant loss and a persistent drip. Easily done and everything is back to normal. Have seen the issue on other bikes.

I run a DID ZVMX chain with AFAM sprockets and standard gearing. I have replaced the whole lot a couple of times. Some guys seem to run their final drive a lot further, but I have found damaged O rings a couple of times, so I replace everything. I tend to do a weekly ride near the coast and might be picking up sand that cuts the O rings! I get the parts from the UK for about 20% less than in Sydney.

Pretty p$&&ded off that Honda aren’t bringing the VFR into OZ anymore, when you can still get them in Japan and, I think, the UK. The Kwaka Ninja 1000SX has killed it in OZ, but they won’t do 400km on a tank and who needs 1043cc.

Rant over!

• Like 3

Hi Guys. Looking for an recommendation for a front tire. 2016 vfr have let say OEM front and rear tires. In my 2009 vfr was Metzler tires. And in my 6 years of own it they have cooperated with me very well 🙂 my riding style is quite calm and not cornering. So maybe You will recommend me something.

• Member Contributer

Everyone has their own preference. Metzeler, Avon, Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Dunlop all make some good sport touring tyres. Rule number one would be to match the front with the back, if possible. Different brands behave  differently. Plenty of comparison tests on the net.

• Member Contributer

Regarding riding in hot weather, I always wear an Aerostich Transit Suit, full Goretex-lined, and describe it as "Wearing a sauna while sitting on an oven."  Lately I'm finding I like living so close to the Artic Circle. :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/1/2020 at 5:18 PM, Rudny said:

Hi guys! I have also some ideas to improve my VFR view and i will try to implement them in a few weeks, will keep you posted here

Hi everyone! So I want to share with you some updates that I made with my VFR.

1. Windshield - In the very first week after buying my VFR, I inadvertently managed to fall and break the windshield. I did not change it for a new one, but I decided to glue it and slightly change its shape. Then I covered it with a matte film on both sides. The whole work took about 2 hours. I love the new look, it sets the tone for the whole bike, and it looks a lot more aggressive than with the stock glass. As for aerodynamics, I can say that now, after 130km/h,you just have to cuddle a little lower against the fuel tank, then the wind won't blow you away, I don't feel any discomfort.

2. Brake and clutch levers - I didn't like the standard ones, they were big and harsh, especially the clutch. I ordered adjustable handles and it became much more comfortable.

3. Damper - For my little experience, thank God, I have not come across wobling, and I decided to postpone this meeting as much as possible. I ordered a Savage damper, let it be just in case.

4. Phone holder - unfortunately I didn't find any options that I liked or that were comfortable to use, so I had to use some wit. I had a large soft waterproof case for a mobile phone for a long time, I sewed (a master in the workshop) two double-sided Velcro for clothes to it and that's it - the holder is ready, it is very convenient to attach to the steering wheel, waterproof (it seems) and can be easily removed if necessary. There is also an input for charging the phone.

5. USB charging and battery charge indicator - there is nothing special to describe, the only thing - service guys was screwed it to the left fairing without my OK , I would prefer to do it next to the dashboard.

6. Heated handles - alas, it was not in my kit, but the previous owner took care of it and installed Oxford. They warm perfectly (tested by Russian frosts 🙂 )

7. Hagger (front and rear) - I thought for a long time whether I needed it at all, but an inexpensive original version turned up, and I decided to order it. The installation was not the most convenient, it was necessary to break a hand and a few fingers on purpose several times in order to tighten these bolts, but as a result everything went well 🙂 

8. Exhaust - I rided with the original one for a year, but during this time I watched all the clips on YouTube about replacement options. I wanted to replace it not even because of the sound, but because of its appearance, since, in my opinion, the Japanese committed a crime by hiding such a beautiful wheel behind a piece of chrome can. As a result, I ordered Coffman (thanks for the review of Red On Vfr) I really really like the sound, the view is also beautiful.

9. Wardrobe trunk - this is Givi (famous Georgian name by the way 🙂 ) and I inherited it from the previous owner. 2 helmets fit, so I'm happy.

10. License plate fastener - the standard fastener (I don’t have its photo and, perhaps, it differs from the one that is sold in USA and causes much less irritation) - I was very pissed off it and in my opinion it spoiled the whole view of the rear of the motorcycle, and in addition until recently in Russia, motorcycle license plates were issued only in XXL size - it was ugly. In general, I had thoughts of completely modernizing the tail, cutting off both the number holder and the excess plastic intended for attaching the side trunks, which I do not have. There were even thoughts of buying and delivering a tail from the СBR ... But then common sense rebelled, and I decided not to engage in nonsense. I just unscrewed the standard fastener, bought a corner shelf holder at a hardware store, bent it at the angle I needed and assigned a small number plate to it, got it much better than it was and I calmed down 🙂

So, I apologize for such a large number of letters for such a minor tuning, but I was inspired by your forum and wanted to share not only specific actions, but also related emotions. If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them. As motorcyclists in Russia say - rovnikh dorog! (I wish you a smooth roads!)  🙂

P.S. you can see photos below:

photo_2020-08-26_09-34-03.jpg

photo_2020-08-26_09-34-03 (2).jpg

photo_2020-08-26_09-33-05.jpg

photo_2020-08-26_09-33-06.jpg

photo_2020-08-26_09-34-05 (2).jpg

photo_2020-08-26_11-36-25.jpg

photo_2020-08-26_11-36-24.jpg

photo_2020-08-26_09-34-04 (2).jpg

photo_2020-08-26_09-33-06 (2).jpg

photo_2020-08-26_09-34-03 (3).jpg

photo_2020-08-26_09-34-03 (4).jpg

photo_2020-08-26_09-34-04.jpg

photo_2020-08-26_09-34-05.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Very nice Rudny!  

The steering damper is not my cup of tea, but you are happy with it so nothing else matters!

The licence plate at that angle will get me a ticket over here for sure :laugh:

That ski jump place is Sochi?

2 hours ago, Dutchy said:

The licence plate at that angle will get me a ticket over here for sure :laugh:

That ski jump place is Sochi?

Thank you!

In addition to the appearance, I also tried to maintain such a inclination degree, in which there would be no questions from the police and the number would not be visible to road speed cameras)

Yes, that was Sochi in June.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the Mad House for VFRs and all things Honda V4 from the opposit side of the glob. That's a fabulous looking VFR. I do love the white ones.

Take care and ride safely.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 10/7/2020 at 10:40 AM, chutta said:

Disconnected the flapper. Just makes more noise leading up to the VTEC point.

Reverting back soon

Haven't noticed this at all and most likely the zone you're referring to is when the flapper would probably be open anyway.

I removed all the hardware just to free up the under tank area clutter, makes things a little easier working around the airbox etc. Have done more than 20,000k with no bad effects and subjectively, if anything, it's better without it. I can easily refit the system but have no desire or need to. Bike has just clocked over 76,000k's and running flawlessly - love the 8gen. Note, interesting that the system has been removed by Honda on the 2017 8gen model! That must mean something I guess.

• Like 1

I changed out the brake and clutch fluid. I bought the bike new last summer (it was in the dealer warehouse for 4 years). And thought it was probably due. On the beer-o-meter it was an amber, now a lager! Clutch was much darker, maybe a Scotch Ale.

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, Badger1 said:

I changed out the brake and clutch fluid. I bought the bike new last summer (it was in the dealer warehouse for 4 years). And thought it was probably due. On the beer-o-meter it was an amber, now a lager! Clutch was much darker, maybe a Scotch Ale.

I'll lay a bet it was the original fluid. Brake and clutch bleed on an 8gen is a very easy job. So easy I just do it every 12 months.

Removed my broken comp-werkes tail tidy bracket and replaced it with the VFR12OO tail tidy from Comp-Werkes.

Original owner bent some other model up,  but it had stress cracks and eventually failed.   VFR12OO model tidy fits right in there...a lil fiddling with the license plate light housing gasket and its a pretty simple install. 

• Member Contributer

Found this buckle in the rim a few weeks ago. Not sure whether it was from a cattle grid in far west Queensland or one of my local goat tracks. Didn’t ever lose pressure, but I couldn’t sleep at night. Repairing it mucked up the finish so I had the rims painted black.

9FE76506-2224-486F-A7B8-FA3D6B9A5750.jpeg

36DDC8F6-C97C-416C-A081-E0A02B1518ED.jpeg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, VFR78 said:

Found this buckle in the rim a few weeks ago. Not sure whether it was from a cattle grid in far west Queensland or one of my local goat tracks. Didn’t ever lose pressure, but I couldn’t sleep at night. Repairing it mucked up the finish so I had the rims painted black.

9FE76506-2224-486F-A7B8-FA3D6B9A5750.jpeg

36DDC8F6-C97C-416C-A081-E0A02B1518ED.jpeg

Quite like the look of that. How about a pic of the whole bike? Unique looking 8gen.