What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

What chain did you settle on lazyeye .

I went with a DID brand this time, because that's what my local shop had. The off-brand 520 I installed 10,000 miles ago didn't hold up to Oregon conditions (dirt, water, de-icer, etc). The sprockets looked like new so I kept with the same chain size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Finally got every rusted screw out with extractors or drilled out, removed the thermostat housing and the coolant stub out #3 cylinder then prised the f**king carbs off of the RC24 project bike, just as well #4 butterfly is jammed shut and the linkage disconnected 

• Member Contributer

(technically yesterday). I dropped it off for a 38,000 mile service with a shop that claims to know VFRs. By June I'll have a like new bike and can pile on the miles (if the state of emergency ever ends).

• Member Contributer

Pretty pedestrian list, and more than a day as I've been juggling chores, weather and the bike.

Removed Swingarm, sprockets, chain. Cleaned all,  inspected and greased bearings and reinstalled a couple of days later.

Removed clutch rod, buffed, greased and end for ended. Cleaned output shaft area and put all back together.

Reinstalled airbox with new filter.

Cleaned and reinstalled all footpegs, polished right side heat shield, partially disassembled seat lock mechanism and lubed cable and lock.

Re-installed battery box, coils, solenoid.

Chased down fault on 12 volt external power outlet. Removed wiring and controls for heated gear found in harness. (PO I guess).

Removed, disassembled rear caliper, and sent through the Ultrasonic. Drying on bench.

• Like 3

Found the rear grab rails that were actually included with my used 2014 purchase; also ordered specialized USA Veteran plates... could be 8 weeks before processing is complete though. I attached an example of what the plates look like, which will look really slick going on a pearly white 800!

cyc-vet-current-200.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So took the VFR out for a ride on Saturday over Sonora and Ebbits passes in California whole trip was 280 miles mostly far from any town or city mostly fun and twisty. 69 miles to go on the way home happen to be in Sonoma  Ca. the biggest city on my route and I smell oil and while at a stop see some white smoke. I pulled over to discover oil everywhere including the whole left 1/3 of my rear tire. After finding tool kit unable to do the simplest task take off enough fairing to have a good look around the oil filter where I suspect the problem is I make it to the auto parts store to get what is needed to find a fix the problem. Seems while installing the filter with a channel lock made for installing oil filters I compromised the filter and after  2000 miles of heat cycles the crease in the filter failed pissing oil. Glad I was in town and not 50 mile from even a gas station.  

Picture of the oil filter.

filter.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, thepretender said:

So took the VFR out for a ride on Saturday over Sonora and Ebbits passes in California whole trip was 280 miles mostly far from any town or city mostly fun and twisty. 69 miles to go on the way home happen to be in Sonoma  Ca. the biggest city on my route and I smell oil and while at a stop see some white smoke. I pulled over to discover oil everywhere including the whole left 1/3 of my rear tire. After finding tool kit unable to do the simplest task take off enough fairing to have a good look around the oil filter where I suspect the problem is I make it to the auto parts store to get what is needed to find a fix the problem. Seems while installing the filter with a channel lock made for installing oil filters I compromised the filter and after  2000 miles of heat cycles the crease in the filter failed pissing oil. Glad I was in town and not 50 mile from even a gas station.  

Picture of the oil filter.

filter.jpg

Glad you weren’t halfway through a sweeping left hand corner at speed 😬 Glad it was just an inconvenience for you. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Fitted the new Atlas Throttle Lock this morning. Installation was easy, though I was doubting myself that it was on correctly.  I thought it was sitting up too high, but it looks the same as the photos on the instructions. I ended up using the thinnest spacer, not a lot of room between the grip and the throttle housing.

Comparing it to the Kaoko I find the Atlas much much easier to engage and disengage. I seemed to have to turn the Kaoko more than 360 deg to get it to engage. Also with gloves on I found I accidentally engaged it a couple of times in the twisties. Performance is the same,the speed wanders a little either way with both. The Kaoko is visually far better in my opinion. 5501E789-B62E-4831-B643-2C7E619E36E7.thumb.jpeg.0c38919a168a2b2eaa22dd752dde8de8.jpegD5A89285-C428-471E-8A45-5E7F520C5334.thumb.jpeg.43c46c31e8063d97393a3c98f8b08cf6.jpeg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, thepretender said:

M8 that could have been VERY serious, glad you survived and got it all sorted. A good wash down with kero would clean up your tire.

Use whatever it takes to get your oil filter Off if need be,  BUT when installing it only needs to be very firm hand tight. Even on the 8gen there's enough room to get a hand in to tighten it. Never heard of a "channel lock" for installing filters what is it?

Picture worth 1000 words I got some oil on the filter before install so was slick as he when installing and couldn't get a good grip.

I wiped the tire off as good as I could before heading home but had a good 20 miles of twistys to get home, be sure I was hesitant to toss it into a left turn. Taking it easy seemed to scrub the oil off. Was trying to beat the sun going down before I got past the tightest part so slowly increased left lean angle along the way. Was nervous as hell the whole time 🙂 

clocks.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Philois1984 said:

Fitted the new Atlas Throttle Lock this morning. Installation was easy, though I was doubting myself that it was on correctly.  I thought it was sitting up too high, but it looks the same as the photos on the instructions. I ended up using the thinnest spacer, not a lot of room between the grip and the throttle housing.

Comparing it to the Kaoko I find the Atlas much much easier to engage and disengage. I seemed to have to turn the Kaoko more than 360 deg to get it to engage. Also with gloves on I found I accidentally engaged it a couple of times in the twisties. Performance is the same,the speed wanders a little either way with both. The Kaoko is visually far better in my opinion. 

Hi Phil. That looks like a quality unit, made in the USA of course. Like the idea of thumb action, bet it's a treat to use. I know what you mean regards the Kaoko it can be fiddly in its operation for sure, but I do like the Kaoko's discreet appearance.

Cheers. :beer:

• Member Contributer

#throwback

Today I just stumbled across this picture, back from August 2018 at Estoril Circuit 😃

Still far from the Pilot (me 😅) being able to take the most of our beloved VFR, we did a 2:07 high as a best lap.

Can't wait to be there again 🏍️  🏍️  🏍️

spacer.png

IMG_0104.JPG

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
On 18 May 2020 at 4:07 PM, thepretender said:

Picture worth 1000 words I got some oil on the filter before install so was slick as he when installing and couldn't get a good grip.

I wiped the tire off as good as I could before heading home but had a good 20 miles of twistys to get home, be sure I was hesitant to toss it into a left turn. Taking it easy seemed to scrub the oil off. Was trying to beat the sun going down before I got past the tightest part so slowly increased left lean angle along the way. Was nervous as hell the whole time 🙂 

clocks.jpg

Oh m8. Never tighten a new filter with these. Great for removal only. Weapon Of Mass Destruction!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I did the Front Fork oil replacement on my 2014, went well though a little bit of mucking around getting the damping rod adjuster right on the first one, learnt the lesson for the 2nd one.

I have also been busy with servicing and detailing my Wifes new ride a 2009 Triumph Bonneville SE.

VFR Fork.jpg

20200118_122617.jpg

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

And some CNC Short Brake Clutch Levers (eBay Item: 273893939549)

Bar end sliders (eBay Item: 292818125771)

Foam grips (eBay Item: 302930563289)

and a Go Cruise (pulled off my previous bike)

grips.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 5/26/2020 at 12:35 PM, Billv45 said:

Floated Bud around the garage with my new Abba Sky Lift. Worth every penny...

skylift.jpg

Holy Socks! I need one of those. Could you elaborate on how the machine attaches to the lift? Working on my machines on the garage floor is a real pain in the rear, and everywhere else, for my 71 yr. old body. 

BTW: That is quite the fine looking machine and in the fastest color. You obviously have great taste in mc's.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I don't hop up from the garage floor too quick any more either! After removing the bottom fairing fasteners one time I thought oh hell no...and broke out the credit card.

It Mounts to the swingarm pivots and has a strap on the rear axle bolt to hold it level. It will also lift it in wheelie or stoppie mode. I'm highly impressed with the quality in addition to the design. It's $800 but I don't regret a penny!

Demo video below (I'm not affiliated with Abba but I really do like "The winner takes it all")

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Thank you Billv45. I'm reaching for my wallet as I type. This would be a perfect self-gift with my COVID money. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Thank you Billv45. I'm reaching for my wallet as I type. This would be a perfect self-gift with my COVID money. 

Your welcome and will love it. And let me share my sky lift mod, a holder for the rear axle strap mount. Drill a 1-1/8" hope in the top cap. Also Abba sells a tray but a Harbor Freight magnetic tray works pretty good for a buck.

If you don't have a 1-1/8" hole saw, you can send me your cap and I'll drill it.

IMG_20200527_204440.jpg

IMG_20200527_204946.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Looks ok. Assume you have it looped through the helmet D rings. Just be careful the steel wire doesn't scratch your paintwork just where it exits the holder.

10 hours ago, Grum said:

Looks ok. Assume you have it looped through the helmet D rings. Just be careful the steel wire doesn't scratch your paintwork just where it exits the holder.

Thx for the response Grum.  I'm still scratching my head why Honda didn't craft their factory hard cases to fit a full face helmet (just to barely fit would have been ok too, but the Shoei doesn't even get close.)  I really only need a locking mechanism when doing some shopping.  The helmet strap thing seems like an afterthought by Honda engineers.  The wire is not that heavy of a gauge.