What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

• Member Contributer

Tore into the bike yesterday.

Checked valve clearance on back bank, No 1 cylinder intakes at service limit .006, but they were 16K miles ago so buttoned back up. When it gets above freezing temps I'll have a go at the front bank today.

Still to go:

Bleed Brake system and calipers in the Ultrasonic. I do this every year.

Remove rear tire, inspect, clean, grease rear bearing, probably time with 82K on the clock. Check front wheel bearings (new last year).

Remove, clean,  grease side stand and center stand, both are pretty stiff.

Drop shock and clean, inspect and grease bushings.

Retire OEM mirrors for second time and install replacement Y2K mirror(s) (one broke a while back).

I'm sure I'll find more to do.DSCF3381.thumb.JPG.e5890934a09e00378e73f2b467f0eb31.JPG

OK, dropped the shock and dog leg. Inspected, took apart and cleaned and greased all bushings. Cleaned shock and inspected. Has been riding fine, so reinstalled. Did check it against a 929 shock with less than 10K on shelf, and the dimensions match. May re spring it and give it a go down the line if needed.

Finished valve check on front bank, ended up draining the coolant, will flush and replace with new. Also took the time to give the airbox a scrub and detail. Awaiting new air filter.

Removed center stand and side stand, neither looked like they had ever been serviced. Scraped and cleaned crud off both and when dry took a brass wire wheel to both. Reinstalled with a coating of high pressure waterproof grease. Now I may actually be able to snap the bike up first go.

Installed Y2K mirrors.

Today is rear wheel day, there is no play side to side and a check with a dial indicator shows it runs pretty true, about .002 out in 360 degrees, so I'll check the grease. I gave the front sprocket area a perfunctory clean while doing the side stand, so if time allows I'll remove and clean it and the output shaft area and remove and clean chain.

• Like 3

Hi I have questions (like allways) received with my bike those Crash-pad set. And I cannot understand instructions..

1. Remove fairings this is clear.

2. When I remove this long bolt engine will not fall down? After that I need to get original pad from this bolt? And each side need to be done separately? Next put it through this mounting hardware piece and distance pad this long screw?

3. Temporary without finally screwing this long bolt remove shorter screw from engine and finally screw it with distance piece to engine.

4. Each site should be done separately?

Sorry this is quite crazy for me. I will be grateful if You can help me with this 🙂 

Thanks in advance.

0EB6CB9F-75CF-43E2-BA40-CED7686B9843.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Those are DSG  correct?

The long bolt is the first one you put in, the engine won’t fall out .... put some grease on it first 

Then put the rear bolts in

Then torque the bolts up

The pad mounts bolt to the pear shaped bracket

The pads screw to the alloy mounts

Use an anti seize compound like Copper Slip on all the threads

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 3:44 PM, ChikhaiBardo said:

6D4723AE-C070-4484-A0C6-B89C68421970.thumb.jpeg.48a3c9dc571fd1e1cada5f0ae0f508fd.jpegJump started my 94 off my 95 and took both of them for a quick ride in the sun before the rain set in

Here's  my 94 + 95, I have a few jobs to do during the Lockdown but in no rush yet.

WP_20180520_13_43_24_Smart.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

After 74,000kms fitted its Third chain D.I.D 525VX124FB (cut it back to 110 links). Very reluctant to replace the front original sprocket even after 74,000k's it looked near perfect! Still replaced it as I had a new one on hand.

Fitted a new JTF1332-16 to the front. The rear was fine so left the OEM on. Big clean up done behind the sprocket cover.

Original Chain - 36,650K's

Second Chain - 37,380k's (EK525ZVX3124).

Photo newly fitted sprocket Top. Old OEM sprocket after 74,000k's Bottom.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Photo new to old sprocket after 74,000k's

Hi Grum - too much beer last night :beer:... you photographed 2 new sprockets...! :wacko:

Visible wear could easily be lens distortion...

And I thought everything get "blasted" with all the sand you have out there...

Do you use link or rivet?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, RC36B said:

Hi Grum - too much beer last night :beer:... you photographed 2 new sprockets...! :wacko:

Visible wear could easily be lens distortion...

And I thought everything get "blasted" with all the sand you have out there...

Do you use link or rivet?

- Ha Ha yes they look like two new sprockets but only the top one is.

- You are absolutely right about the lens distortion.... It was taken with my mobile phone which seems to create the effect of slight elongation of some of the teeth on both new and old sprocket....Good observation RC36B.

- Yes there is a lot of sand in Australia, but I don't ride the VFR there.

- Used a riveted Master Link.

Cheers.:beer::wheel:

• Member Contributer

Last couple of rides I have done I collected a lot of Nth Qld bugs so decided today was a good day to give her a bath. All cleaned and dried. Polish and wax with synthetic Xwax tomorrow morning. Like you Grum I need to give the front chain sprocket a good clean, do you remove the lower fairing when you do this or do you find there is enough room without removing it? Also where did you get the older generation VFR badge/sticker from? All the places I have found that have them want a ridiculous amount of postage, one place wanted €21🤯. I wouldn’t mind putting one on the Powerbronze screen I have just ordered (dark tint doesn’t come with a logo)8FADD384-7A59-45FD-9FF8-83C1EF7BA6FF.thumb.png.6cc0de5e406e39393cad04c7e8b929e9.png

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Philois1984 said:

Last couple of rides I have done I collected a lot of Nth Qld bugs so decided today was a good day to give her a bath. All cleaned and dried. Polish and wax with synthetic Xwax tomorrow morning. Like you Grum I need to give the front chain sprocket a good clean, do you remove the lower fairing when you do this or do you find there is enough room without removing it? Also where did you get the older generation VFR badge/sticker from? All the places I have found that have them want a ridiculous amount of postage, one place wanted €21🤯. I wouldn’t mind putting one on the Powerbronze screen I have just ordered (dark tint doesn’t come with a logo)8FADD384-7A59-45FD-9FF8-83C1EF7BA6FF.thumb.png.6cc0de5e406e39393cad04c7e8b929e9.png

Hi Phil.

Bike is looking great after the wash and polish.

M8 there is no need to "give the front sprocket a good clean" you really only want to do this when you Replace the front sprocket at the time of a chain replacement. Just need to remove the lower left fairing, then remove the sprocket cover leaving the clutch slave cylinder attached to the cover. This allows you to unbolt and remove the front sprocket and clean up all the chain lube and crap that accumulates in this area. Not something you need to do unless replacing the sprocket.

The VFR logo I have is the 6gen emblem used on the 2004/2005 model. The part number is 64220-MCW-D80ZA they are a Type 1 version.! One of these emblems is going to set you back around $50. They are a Honda stock item you can order through any Honda dealership.

Don't reckon the emblem would work too well on your new screen especially if it's a Double Bubble type, the emblem is 245mm long and is 3D so it's a raised emblem, with all the bugs you'd get on the front screen it would make keeping the emblem clean a pain in the arse, a small stone impact front on could also damage it. Something to think about.

Cheers:beer:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Well it was 25F/-04C this morning so I waited before headingDSCF3405.thumb.JPG.cefa77842dcba832ef0fce722f9afe75.JPGDSCF3406.thumb.JPG.239ff9dbe1558b89428f1956a134d8cf.JPG out to the garage. Poured myself a mug of tea and had a go at recovering my seat. It wasn't that bad, but a few years ago something fell on it when it was -15F and punctured and cracked the vinyl, so time for a fresh cover.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, FromMaine said:

Well it was 25F/-04C this morning so I waited before headingDSCF3405.thumb.JPG.cefa77842dcba832ef0fce722f9afe75.JPGDSCF3406.thumb.JPG.239ff9dbe1558b89428f1956a134d8cf.JPG out to the garage. Poured myself a mug of tea and had a go at recovering my seat. It wasn't that bad, but a few years ago something fell on it when it was -15F and punctured and cracked the vinyl, so time for a fresh cover.

Looks like a great job, before shot would have been interesting. A productive morning by the sounds of things.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

Looks like a great job, before shot would have been interesting. A productive morning by the sounds of things.

The first pic is of the puncture, I used some tape that I used when I was diving commercially to repair it. not very pretty but it lasted about 20 K miles and would have lasted longer.

The second pic does not really show it but there was a sewn seam at the front of the seat that had started to deteriorate, so If I was riding in the rain the foam would absorb the water. There were also some small cracks forming on the aft part of the vinyl as it was beginning to become brittle with age and UV exposure so I was getting water in there also. Coming back from North Carolina last year was 2 days and 1,200 miles in the rain. When I got home I removed my bags and pulled the seat, which was about 2-3 kg heavier than normal, and hung it in the garage to drip dry. BTW, waterproof gear is anything but if you basically sit in a puddle for 10-12 hours. It was time for a new cover...…………………..🌧️DSCF3352.thumb.JPG.861aec38bf30f0fbab51e171809b0fd1.JPGDSCF3351.thumb.JPG.9f6ebc77cb2c029fd0b24404586d1a0b.JPG

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, fatshoutybloke said:

Rode it to work, first time this month I've actually been on site since we were locked down. It was a bit weird in the normally full staff car park...

2020-04-22_Stansted_in_lockdown.jpg

That beautiful machine looks quite lonely. But at lease it is not lonely from being in the garage all the time.  

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 4/26/2020 at 12:36 PM, lazyeye said:

Installed a new chain.

What chain did you settle on lazyeye .