What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

• Member Contributer

I gave it a new coolant expansion tank, from a GPX600 to replace the too small KTM690 one I’ve been running for the last couple of years. Hopefully I will stop losing expansion coolant, thanks to the increased size. I also fitted the bottle neck through the fairing panel so I can check the level & top up at will.

I replaced my old RapidBike Racing MTB with a new one that supports Bosch 4.9 wideband sensor, which are much more accurate & faster responding than the old 4.2 version. 

Fitted Scorpion Ti end can. And a few more things to do yet,

• Like 1

Normally I'd say plug it but any excuse to replace the crap tires that it came with will do.
The plug lasted me a few days while the shop got the tires in

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Hey Bent, V glad to hear about your shoulder and your being back in the saddle With A Vengeance. I still remember vividly our first ride back at T-Mac.

"To seek greatness is the only righteous vengeance"

Criss Jami

Yes, that was a good day of riding for sure with you Katherine and others.  When we can remember one ride for that many years, it was good.  I'll give you an update later today.  Told my wife that today I quit hurting from all the riding this weekend, LOL!

• Like 1

Fixed my cheapo screen extender which had lost one of the locking pins by copying the remaining one and 3D printing another. Rather pleased with that...

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Nothing today.  "might" ride it tomorrow, likely aggressively in the twistie parts.  It's my "mind-flush" machine.  

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
50 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

Nice looking bike ...those are DSG frame protectors yes?

And if so, what to they attach to on the bike?

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, Bent said:

And if so, what to they attach to on the bike?

I have DSG frame protectors on mine, I got them through Gerhard THURN 

The mounting is the long engine mounting at the front and the engine mounting bolt behind it, the Delrin blocks mount onto billet alloy blocks that come through the slot in the fairing 

0C29CAC0-C68D-4806-9059-8193754358CE.jpeg

889D3338-47F6-4F58-9A68-BE059E979BFC.jpeg

• Like 2

Put on a new set of Pirelli Angel GT's. The last pair went 8,000 miles of aggressive riding. They never felt anything other than totally planted and they wore beautifully. I always ran them at 34lbs in the front and 36lbs in the rear. Totally happy with Pirellis. 

• Member Contributer

Ordered a new rear Angel GT last night because I did a perfect job of running over a screw of a type I've never seen.  It inserted itself in the middle of the tread.  Not going to repair the half worn Angel GT due to how and where I ride.  

fattireshire mentioned 8000 miles of aggressive riding on his Angel GT.  I'm lucky to get 3300 miles from an Angel GT so aggressive riding is a relative term.  I have never gotten 8K miles from any kind of tire on any kind of bike.  A lot of it is where I live and ride along with a heavy throttle hand and hard cornering.  If it wasn't for very technical twisties where I live, I wouldn't own a bike other than my TREK.  Some things are relative.    

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
4 hours ago, 4corsa said:

Installed a radiator guard on my '14 - was able to do it without removing the fairings (barely).1228f1203cdfbaf0508aa30650294373.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Is that the air intake I spy above the rad with that plastic scoop ? 

Finally used up the tires that came on my 2014. 4444 miles surprised me they lacked feel and grip so much I figured they would last longer must have been less rubber than real tires. Put on a set of Bridgestone T31s they turn in so much better took me a while to adjust as I was putting in more turning force than needed 🙂 

Went through Yosemite  to scrub them in so less than spirited ride got 54 mpg amazing my 6th gen never gave me more than 44 mpg another reason to love this 8th gen. 

2 convict lake vfr.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Finally got all the bits to fit my uprated FPR  to complete my throttle body & airbox upgrade. Then updated my other threads about both elements 👍

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 9/13/2019 at 1:06 PM, thepretender said:

Finally used up the tires that came on my 2014. 4444 miles surprised me they lacked feel and grip so much I figured they would last longer must have been less rubber than real tires. Put on a set of Bridgestone T31s they turn in so much better took me a while to adjust as I was putting in more turning force than needed 🙂 

Went through Yosemite  to scrub them in so less than spirited ride got 54 mpg amazing my 6th gen never gave me more than 44 mpg another reason to love this 8th gen. 

2 convict lake vfr.jpg

How were the crowds on the roads. The one time I was there the traffic was really bad. That was when the government was giving out stimulous money and the roads were receiving lots of maintenance. Yosemite is quite the fabulous place.

• Member Contributer
On 9/13/2019 at 7:06 PM, thepretender said:

Finally used up the tires that came on my 2014. 4444 miles surprised me they lacked feel and grip so much I figured they would last longer must have been less rubber than real tires.

OEM tyres are always crap, mine came with Dunlop’s put me right off using them again 

Now Bridgestone T31’s, a fresh set will go on Tuesday

I didn't go into the valley so avoided the worst part, there was enough traffic that passing people was an exercise in futility and 2 spots where they worked on the road with only one lane so backup of 20-30 cars but most were at least moving 5 miles over the speed limit. A gorgeous road so I didn't mind too bad.

Yeah the Dunlops that came were so bad I didn't even consider the latest Sportmax  even though they are supposed to be great tires. They were not too bad when brand new but with every mile they turned more and more into sh*t oh and they seemed to turn into teflon when rolling over tar snakes.  

• Thanks 2

Seems that most tire manufacturers make a series of cheap tires to compete to win the bid to be an OEM supplier - it's a great contract to get. But I don't think they're usually a good representation of the manufacturer's better tires. I was a Bridgestone guy for years and used them on my track bikes, but the Bidgestones that came as OEMs on my 2014 VFR were terrible - single compound front and dual compound rear. The front squared off after 3500 miles. I replaced them with Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs (dual compound front and rear) and couldn't be happier. Just did 260 miles today on West Virginia twisties - amazing grip.
I have Dunlop Q3+ on my Ducati Monster S4R and also an outstanding tire - even for an occasional track day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

finally sold my '86 700 on cl, owned it for 26 years but need money for a cataract operation.  $1300. around here (bflo, ny) very little interest in these old bikes.

no problem, i still have 3 more  vfr's

OCT_1_-18_074.JPG

OCT_1_-18_109.JPG

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, squirrelman said:

finally sold my '86 700 on cl, owned it for 26 years but need money for a cataract operation.  $1300. around here (bflo, ny) very little interest in these old bikes.

no problem, i still have 3 more  vfr's

OCT_1_-18_074.JPG

OCT_1_-18_109.JPG

Obviously another member of the MBS club - Multi Bike Syndrom. And look at all those engines!

• Like 1