What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

I found & fixed a broken wire to my loud air horns. They failed to work on Wednesday as a car tried to cut me up. Checked yesterday & I could hear the relay firing, so whipped the left side fairing off & traced the fault to the positive wire from solenoid to the horn had broken just below the terminal crimp. All good now, MoT tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, was the wire soldered (either tinned or to the connector)?

• Member Contributer

No it was just crimped on & was a spare bit of wire I had at the time that had the right connector on one end, but whomever crimped it had done it on bare wire, so it snapped I guess from vibration fatigue. It’s ‘a been there for over 15k miles, it’s non standard & I’d put it inside a tube as it runs down the front of the engine, to stop it chafing through, which concentrated the vibration to a 2” length by the connector. I’ve rerouted it & remade the connector, so should be good for another long while. I’ll add it to the winter strip down checklist.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
6 hours ago, parson said:

New here, so hi.

I sorted my petrol tank vacuum issue after stumbling onto a thread on here via Google, and have now signed upas a member.

Welcome parson.

Better post a picture of your 8gen. Yes super important, when lowering your fuel tank after maintenance ALWAYS remember to take up the slack of the breather hose by pulling on the small to large hose joiner as the tank is lowered. The vacuum caused by a kinked breather hose can become strong enough to deform your tank!

Enjoy your ride.

Cheers 

Planing a 350 mile ride tomorrow so lubed chain  and checked oil, second time in 2500 miles (3000 total) I had to add oil as was just below the sight glass. My S1000R with 35000 miles never needs to add oil. Don't think this should be a problem. Am I wrong?  

• Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, thepretender said:

Planing a 350 mile ride tomorrow so lubed chain  and checked oil, second time in 2500 miles (3000 total) I had to add oil as was just below the sight glass. My S1000R with 35000 miles never needs to add oil. Don't think this should be a problem. Am I wrong?  

Do you have the deluxe with center stand? I don't know what it is with the 8gen but I find often that the oil level varies even when checking with the bike in the same location every time. Perhaps there's a varying amount that remains in the oil cooler, the variation is not a lot, just noticeable enough to be slightly inconsistent. When changing the oil, and after an engine run I just top it up to the right spot then monitor it regularly. Never really needed topping up after that or in between services. Guess it goes without saying but, to get a good reference on oil levels = bike in the same level spot all the time.

So depending on how much you needed to top it up and how regularly you do it is the burning question! If your saying the oil level has gone from the upper level to below the lower level mark in 2500 miles then that doesn't seem right. 

Otherwise don't worry.

Enjoy your 350 mile ride.

Cheers.:beer:

7 hours ago, Grum said:

Welcome parson.

Better post a picture of your 8gen. Yes super important, when lowering your fuel tank after maintenance ALWAYS remember to take up the slack of the breather hose by pulling on the small to large hose joiner as the tank is lowered. The vacuum caused by a kinked breather hose can become strong enough to deform your tank!

Enjoy your ride.

Cheers 

Thanks Grom, your advice and knowledge on that thread was invaluable. Turns out the garage had fed the vac line across the top of the 1" airbox pipe rather than behind it. Once re-reouted and pulled down when lowering the problem wwas solved. So thank you.

Picture on my "Hello from Scotland" thread ont he introductions and new members forum.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/89439-hello-from-scotland/&tab=comments#comment-1097554

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Due to the cold and crappy weather, had the urge to tinker with the bike. 

Added a beefy Ground bonding wire, see white wire with yellow lug.

Decided to grab a short length of aircraft spec 10gauge wire I had floating around, and install a good bonding cable from the EFI, ECM and stuff Ground point (on the Frame Ground Point just under the rear of the tank - see attached drawing) to the Negative battery terminal.

Bad Grounds on bike frames have in the past caused strange things to happen(not with my own bike fortunately) just wanted to avoid that situation ever happening for good.

Well, at least it kept me occupied and off the streets for an hour or so:wacko:

Cheers.:beer:

image.jpeg

image.png

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Last week.  Got together with a few mates for a week of enjoying the fantastic roads we have in Scotland.  4 of us for 6 days followed by another 10 arriving on Thursday for a further 4 days. 

5 vfr in group 4 of them 8th gen.

20190707_114401.jpg

20190707_130038.jpg

20190712_124247.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, fink said:

Last week.  Got together with a few mates for a week of enjoying the fantastic roads we have in Scotland.  4 of us for 6 days followed by another 10 arriving on Thursday for a further 4 days. 

5 vfr in group 4 of them 8th gen.

20190707_114401.jpg

20190707_130038.jpg

20190712_124247.jpg

That is a great picture of five great machines.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 1/14/2018 at 8:39 PM, Amoreira88 said:

i just want to remove / replace it because its rusty but i dont want to let out the magic smoke if i dont have to.

Did we ever figure out what that bolt was for??

Just curious.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, armod said:

I fixed this problem.

With a set of road 5s16aa048b38696490910fd9bbd06c6391.jpg 

Ouch! Not often you see a front puncture like that. Hope it went down slowly, giving you a chance to see it once stopped. Is that the original front tire?

I've been running the Michelin Road 5's and are very happy with both grip and longevity, hope you find them the same.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
On 6/30/2019 at 6:08 PM, thepretender said:

Is it a problem?  These are two completely different machines?

• Member Contributer

A VFR using oil is a pretty rare breed. Have you had it since new? Did it just start using a little oil?

How many miles? What viscosity oil? When was the last oil change? Maybe a slight leak from a not

tight enough oil filter?

Bent, 2 machines the 8th gen is the one that uses a bit of oil.

FJ12Ryder, new 2014 got it earlier this year 3700 miles so 700 sense top off and still up to top line on sight glass filter on tight 10-30 oil next change at 5000 

so just keeping eye on it, changed at 630 with T6 miles no metal flakes at the first change.

Ouch! Not often you see a front puncture like that. Hope it went down slowly, giving you a chance to see it once stopped. Is that the original front tire?
I've been running the Michelin Road 5's and are very happy with both grip and longevity, hope you find them the same.
Cheers.
I didn't notice it until I was getting back on the bike to leave work.

They were the factory wheels and I wasn't really a fan of them anyway.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, thepretender said:

Bent, 2 machines the 8th gen is the one that uses a bit of oil.

FJ12Ryder, new 2014 got it earlier this year 3700 miles so 700 sense top off and still up to top line on sight glass filter on tight 10-30 oil next change at 5000 

so just keeping eye on it, changed at 630 with T6 miles no metal flakes at the first change.

Agree.  My 8th gen. is my third and by far, best VFR.  Have had a 1999, a 2006, and now standard 2014.  I've run them all hard with 10W-40 synthetic (I don't care what Honda recommends on the 2014) and none used any oil.  The way the 8th gen. has been ridden the last three weekends, it's a wonder it doesn't use some oil but none is used.  Shoulder finally seems to be healed from rotator cuff surgery and I've come back with a vengeance in the Smoky Mtns.  Age doesn't help though.  I don't see how VFR's don't use oil but have no idea on the BMW.  

• Like 2

Cured a grating front disc by freeing off the bobbins with a power drill and brake cleaner, went for a stunning ride in the sun, then replaced the chain guard, cleaned out all the crap from the chain guide and replace the rusted bolts from the brake hose clamps on the chain guard. Finally cleaned up the swingarm and treated all the chainguard to a coat of plastic dressing so it's lovely and black and shiny again.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2019 at 4:07 PM, armod said:

I didn't notice it until I was getting back on the bike to leave work.

They were the factory wheels and I wasn't really a fan of them anyway.

Normally I'd say plug it but any excuse to replace the crap tires that it came with will do.

• Member Contributer
On 8/4/2019 at 8:46 AM, Bent said:

Agree.  My 8th gen. is my third and by far, best VFR.  Have had a 1999, a 2006, and now standard 2014.  I've run them all hard with 10W-40 synthetic (I don't care what Honda recommends on the 2014) and none used any oil.  The way the 8th gen. has been ridden the last three weekends, it's a wonder it doesn't use some oil but none is used.  Shoulder finally seems to be healed from rotator cuff surgery and I've come back with a vengeance in the Smoky Mtns.  Age doesn't help though.  I don't see how VFR's don't use oil but have no idea on the BMW.  

Hey Bent, V glad to hear about your shoulder and your being back in the saddle With A Vengeance. I still remember vividly our first ride back at T-Mac.

"To seek greatness is the only righteous vengeance"

Criss Jami

• Member Contributer

I gave it a new coolant expansion tank, from a GPX600 to replace the too small KTM690 one I’ve been running for the last couple of years. Hopefully I will stop losing expansion coolant, thanks to the increased size. I also fitted the bottle neck through the fairing panel so can check the level & top up at will.

I replaced my old RapidBike Racing MTB with a new one that supports Bosch 4.9 wide and sensor, which are much more accurate & faster responding than the old 4.2 version. 

Fitted Scorpion Ti end can. And a few more things to do yet,

• Like 1