What did you do to your VFR Today?

weee06

• Member Contributer

From Track Days to a nice relax ride with my wife, just mount rear foot pegs and Givi Rack, and one is all set to take a tour around the world:wheelie:

Why I love our VFRs so Much!!!

cbdad6ca-d7f4-471f-9e7f-d7cce9713a5c.JPG

IMG_3537.JPG

IMG_3540.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to Fink for reassurance about the simplicity of the task, I finally got round to fitting the Givi D1132S screen to my 2017 800F.  It really was an easy enough task.  I'd seen a YouTube video made by some guys fitting a Puig screen to an Interceptor of the same vintage.  On the video the interior trim panel came off altogether, but on my bike it seemed to be fixed to the instrument pod.

After removing the two screws holding the panel on, I was expecting some difficulty in getting it to unclip.  I used a plastic putty knife, and that worked perfectly.  You just have to put a bit of pressure into the joint while twisting the blade gently, and the clips come apart with no drama.  Just holding the ends of the released panel down slightly gave enough room to get the screen securing screw out on each side.

The Givi screen mounting tabs were absolutely identical to those on the stock screen, so it was a two second job to swap them over.  No problems getting the securing screws to line up, and then all I had to do was clip the trim panel back in place, starting in the centre and working outwards one side at a time, followed by the two securing screws.  I didn't time it, but even being ultra careful it can't take more than fifteen to twenty minutes.

It's very subjective of course, but I don't think the slightly taller screen (8cm~3"), with just a bit more of a lip on it, spoils the look of the bike at all.  (I wouldn't have said the same about the Puig effort in the video - that looked a monstrosity to me.)  A quick ride this afternoon to check it out and I'm pleased to say that the Givi screen has made the difference I was looking for.  With the stock screen I was thinking that my cruising speed on a long trip was going to be dictated by how much wind-blast I could endure.  Now I'm sure I can cruise for as long as I like at about 15-20mph above the previous blast-enforced limit.  For short spells I can also get right down behind the new screen, where it's really quiet.  I didn't find that at all possible before.  Aside from the stock screen I've nothing to compare the Givi against so I can't recommend it more than to say that it works for me and I'm happy with it.  Just over the £100 mark including delivery, and money well spent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

New brakes front and rear.  Not quite metal on metal but way too close at 16,000 miles.

The mechanic didn't even remove the valve covers.  Gave it the "listen with a screwdriver" routine and said we'll lift the covers for the 32,000 mile service.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Bled the front brakes for the fourth time then went out to test them. Seemed better than the last time. Maybe its my imagination but it seemed like the lever got a bit softer after I did an ABS test. Is that real? Does ABS introduce bubbles into the system?

• Member Contributer

I did a little preparation for Summer Summit 2018, and converted an Eclipse tank bag to a tail bag.  It was a pretty easy transfer from the tank to the tail, and I think this will work out real nice.   

20180630_162427.jpg

20180630_162439.jpg

20180630_162534.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:57 PM, lazyeye said:

Bled the front brakes for the fourth time then went out to test them. Seemed better than the last time. Maybe its my imagination but it seemed like the lever got a bit softer after I did an ABS test. Is that real? Does ABS introduce bubbles into the system?

It is a sealed system so no, operation of ABS would not introduce bubbles. The use of ABS though may be enough to move previously trapped air bubbles though.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed a steering damper. Got off eBay $90. Brand is "Savage", made in China. Putting all biases aside, I'm impressed with the quality. Will follow up after a few hundred miles with a review.cb468cb1621d5ce120dbde246c995b0a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Took her to the Gym 😃 😃

Getting ready to Track Day @ Estoril Circuit this weekend, removed Givi rack, rear foot pegs etc.

I felt the need to buy new front foot pegs while ridding with racing boots, and have ordered Oberon set on attached pics, and have nothing but good things to say

super easy to assemble and perfect fit 😆

IMG_4090 copy.jpg

IMG_4091 copy.jpg

IMG_4110 copy.jpg

IMG_4129 copy.jpg

IMG_4130 copy.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Well timed post there Resina, I ground the shit out of my hero pegs going up Fish Hill, near Cheltenham today :wheel:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Grum said:

Tried out my new $20 Vaccum Brake Bleeder Kit, worked a treat. Then the Red Lady needed a wash, while I had one of these :beer:.

Cheers.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Those things make bleeding brakes a breeze. Even my 5th gen took me no time at all a few weekends ago. Amazing tool! 

• Like 4

Replaced the front calipers which had been suffering from tinfoil piston rot syndrome going into their 5th British winter of road salt. Bought a pair secondhand on eBay off a 2014 Fireblade which are identical and had them rebuilt with new seals etc. by Powerhouse Automotive here in the UK using stainless pistons. Refitted using OE Honda pads and titanium banjos and pad pins. Sweet!

2018-12-31 new calipers_2.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
On 6/27/2018 at 1:08 PM, Switchblade said:

Took it to the Dragon and got my pic by Killboy bunch. Thanks Mr. Cannon.

VFR06.2018.JPG

See, it isn't necessary to knee drag there.  Drama and stunt riding on The Dragon is beyond dangerous after being on it, perhaps, too much.  Crossing the centerline is is stupidity there.  Good line, Switchblade.    

• Member Contributer
On 1/6/2019 at 6:23 PM, thtanner said:

Those things make bleeding brakes a breeze. Even my 5th gen took me no time at all a few weekends ago. Amazing tool! 

Where can those "things" be bought?  Looks enticing to own one.

• Member Contributer
On 1/6/2019 at 6:17 PM, Grum said:

Tried out my new $20 Vaccum Brake Bleeder Kit, worked a treat. Then the Red Lady needed a wash, while I had one of these :beer:.!!

Cheers.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A washer helper is always a great thing.

Do you use pipe tape, or pipe dope to keep the air from leaking around the threads? I tried using my MityVac

a few times but couldn't stop the air leaking around the threads, and taping all the fittings was just too much

of a PIA. But when it works, it is a great tool.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Bent said:

See, it isn't necessary to knee drag there.  Drama and stunt riding on The Dragon is beyond dangerous after being on it, perhaps, too much.  Crossing the centerline is is stupidity there.  Good line, Switchblade.    

Thanks  ...

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

A washer helper is always a great thing.

Do you use pipe tape, or pipe dope to keep the air from leaking around the threads? I tried using my MityVac

a few times but couldn't stop the air leaking around the threads, and taping all the fittings was just too much

I did not have to do that, no. The suction on the tool seems to do a good enough job. I always do a few final quick crack open 'bleeds' while the other person is holding down the brake or clutch lever. Pushes that last bit of air out.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Good point you raise FJ12Ryder. It did appear that I might have been getting some air via the threads, but that didn't concern me, I had a reasonable flow of fluid without opening the bleeder too much. End result was no spongy feel just as you'd expect for a good bleed process. Any air drawn through via the bleeder threads is probably not going to cause an issue IMO.

• 1 month later...