97 vfr750

I bought this about a month ago, it was dropped and needed some fairings and a good cleaning. It was red when I purchased it but I already have a 99 vfr800 that is red...so it was a toss up between blue or white, my RSV1000r is black so that was out...I paint for a restoration shop in ft myers fla and one day last week I was painting a blue shitbox and decided to go blue..pull a couple partial cans of different bright blues out of paint cabinet, mixed them all together so I had enough to do bike and some left over...anyway it looks pretty good, not perfect but it will sit outside at our condo in key west fla...we keep them covered when we are not there...but still..right now I have the vfr800 down there but want to bring it back to cape coral fla where we live full time, it is pretty nice.

the vf750 starts and idles fine and runs well at low throttle imput...but as soon as you roll throttle on it flattens out, still accelerating but you can tell it is struggling. I changed plugs and put fresh gas with a can of carb/injector cleaner in and going to run that through it and see if that helps

sorry for ramble

IMG_20180107_165759361_HDR.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome! Nice looking bike, like the blue. For the lack of power I would check the air filter for a "mouse house" or just clogged. Second I would check clean the carbs look for holes in slide diaphragms. I have a '97 same bike as yours and it runs best on ethanol free gas. If it is available in your area I would use it. Did you have to repair any cracks in your fairings? If so what did you use?  

Have the carbs cleaned professionally, by someone who ACTUALLY knows what they're doing. The V4 carbs are complex and simply dropping them into an ultrasonic cleaner won't do the trick. Lite-Tek provide ethanol proof seals for pennies, so I'd recommend buying those as well.

• 3 weeks later...

got running fine,

On 1/7/2018 at 6:09 PM, burnes45 said:

Welcome! Nice looking bike, like the blue. For the lack of power I would check the air filter for a "mouse house" or just clogged. Second I would check clean the carbs look for holes in slide diaphragms. I have a '97 same bike as yours and it runs best on ethanol free gas. If it is available in your area I would use it. Did you have to repair any cracks in your fairings? If so what did you use?  

I used a two part epoxy made for plastic, cleaned and sanded 80g paper inside of fairing, spray plastic adhesion promoter  put down a plastic mesh material, then plastic epoxy , outside I beveled edges of crack deep and wide, more adhesion promoter and plastic epoxy

bike running now, carbs were a mess, ended up getting a clean used setup cheaper than rebuilding mine

• Member Contributer
On 2/3/2018 at 11:13 PM, mwlehman said:

got running fine,

I used a two part epoxy made for plastic, cleaned and sanded 80g paper inside of fairing, spray plastic adhesion promoter  put down a plastic mesh material, then plastic epoxy , outside I beveled edges of crack deep and wide, more adhesion promoter and plastic epoxy

bike running now, carbs were a mess, ended up getting a clean used setup cheaper than rebuilding mine

Do you know the brand name for the epoxy and adhesion promoter? I work for an auto dealer with body shop in complex is it something they would have? Good deal on used carbs they are a pain to clean. I would clean them when you have extra time/money and keep them for rainy day I have an extra set and its nice to be able to pop them on when mine start to have problems. Keeps me on the road.  

Archived