1998 vfr pc3 serial

StormShadow3

well, i brought my sself a 2nd vfr800, this one is a 1998 vfr800 which i plan to just use at the race track every few months, so i dont have to worry about crashing my 2011 i commute on every day.

i purchased online a stain tune high rise pipe and a power commander 3 serial. i was told it had no maps loaded on it. which is fair enough.

now it seemed ok, it plugged in ok, i attempted to start the bike, it cranks, no fire what so ever. disconnect, fires straight up.

finally got a usb to serial cable,

first tried to upload pc3 maps, and it gave a error or version incompatible error. checking the hardware version it says its for a 2002 vfr800 vtec however further research says there is no difference in pc 5th and 6th gen except cable length.

i finally worked out that, i think, their is a difference in maps between pc3 serial and pc3 usb.

i found only one map that would load on vfrd, cozeymaps, it seemed to load into the pc3 with out errors.

again no fire what so ever, as before.

can you test these things to see if they are dead?

26612932_1837434889623456_357688188_o.png

26653265_1837435102956768_1440071198_o.png

• Member Contributer

G'day Storm, good to see you on here.

If you head to the downloads section there is a whole area on Power Commander maps, I assume there may be something there for PC3 serial type unit.

Head here and have a look:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/category/1-power-commander-maps/

Mine is a USB version and the CD that came with my bike is pretty scratched up (did he ride around with the cd under the seat? I don't know!) and wont read so I can't send you a copy of the files.

Good luck!

If the bike does not start and run with the device fully and properly installed, then the device likely has a hardware defect.

In your photograph, you are communicating with a PC3 unit but you have a PC2 map file opened. The PC2 map files are not compatible in a PC3 unit. That is why you are seeing a compatibility error.

111-210 is a PC3 unit for a 2002-2004 VFR800. It would be compatible with any of the PC3 map files listed on our website for 2002-2004 VFR800. These files will all have a “111” prefix in the filename.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Chris Kelly

Dynojet Research Inc.

2191 Mendenhall Dr. Suite 105

North Las Vegas, NV 89081

1-800-992-4993

• Member Contributer

Did you end up finding finding PC3 maps?

I would try both a gen 5 and a gen 6 map to see if it made a difference. 

Is there anyone near by who has a PC3 on their bike you may be able to swap to test?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 7:44 PM, StormShadow3 said:

If the bike does not start and run with the device fully and properly installed, then the device likely has a hardware defect.

In your photograph, you are communicating with a PC3 unit but you have a PC2 map file opened. The PC2 map files are not compatible in a PC3 unit. That is why you are seeing a compatibility error.

111-210 is a PC3 unit for a 2002-2004 VFR800. It would be compatible with any of the PC3 map files listed on our website for 2002-2004 VFR800. These files will all have a “111” prefix in the filename.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Chris Kelly

Dynojet Research Inc.

2191 Mendenhall Dr. Suite 105

North Las Vegas, NV 89081

1-800-992-4993

Anyone know where to find a computer old enough or a USB to serial cable that would actually work on the old PCIII I have with my 99? I'd love to actually use it. And maybe some instructions on how to load the map? 

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Lint said:

Anyone know where to find a computer old enough or a USB to serial cable that would actually work on the old PCIII I have with my 99? I'd love to actually use it. And maybe some instructions on how to load the map? 

$9, free 2 day shipping with prime...

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Converter-Prolific-Chipset-CB-DB9P/dp/B00IDSM6BW/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1516821809&sr=1-3&keywords=usb+to+serial+adapter

• Member Contributer

Some older software that relies on comports may have been written to support Com 1-4 on the old DOS IRQ numbers, so it may be something to inquire with Dynojet on. Some drivers do allow you to set the comport number and sometimes the IRQ, which can be helpful when dealing with older software. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 11:28 PM, shaynus said:

Did you end up finding finding PC3 maps?

I would try both a gen 5 and a gen 6 map to see if it made a difference. 

Is there anyone near by who has a PC3 on their bike you may be able to swap to test?

i did manage to find 1 single pc3 gen 6 map which uploaded to the device. it would only accept gen 6 maps based on its serial number, even though it was ment for a gen 5. so it didnt really help me at all.  i ended up getting a refund. 

Archived