Cold Starting Problem

jlpvfr

On my 2008 with 28,000 miles I sometimes have problems starting it when cold. Cranks fine but won't catch, after a few attempts it will eventually start but I noticed it is at idle RPM. Seems like it is not setting up high RPMs to start although after a second or 2 it will set a higher RPM until it gets to running temp.  The FI light does not flash any errors the battery is good. Any debugging or solutions suggestions?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, jlpvfr said:

On my 2008 with 28,000 miles I sometimes have problems starting it when cold. Cranks fine but won't catch, after a few attempts it will eventually start but I noticed it is at idle RPM. Seems like it is not setting up high RPMs to start although after a second or 2 it will set a higher RPM until it gets to running temp.  The FI light does not flash any errors the battery is good. Any debugging or solutions suggestions?

Just a bit more info.

Does the bike always start normally when warm? Is your warm idle speed steady at 1200rpm? Was there any work done on your bike just prior to this issue? When the fault is evident Do You Hear the fuel pump prime at ignition switch on? When riding is the bike performing normally?

Starts when it is warm. It can site for 6 hours and start normally, idle speed is 1200-1300,no work has been done, and fuel pump primes normally as well. No other issues just this starting when it sits for more then a day.

• Member Contributer

Have you tried cycling the ignition switch (or the key) on and off a few times before cold starting it in these instances? If not, try that - flip the ignition switch to the "run" position until the pump quits priming - then switch it to the "kill" position and back to the "run" position for the pump to prime again. Do this 2-3 times then try to start the bike. Report back results. 

• Member Contributer
On 1/8/2018 at 3:11 AM, jlpvfr said:

Starts when it is warm. It can site for 6 hours and start normally, idle speed is 1200-1300,no work has been done, and fuel pump primes normally as well. No other issues just this starting when it sits for more then a day.

Hi jlpvfr.

Sorry to harp on this BUT it is vitally important to first and foremost establish that the Fuel Pump Primes every time the ignition is turned to ON. Just as ZCD76 above is trying to establish.

Knowing the Fuel Pump is priming correctly isolates a lot of hardware - eg Kill Switch, Bank Angle Sensor, Engine Stop Relay, and Fuel Cut-off relay.

So, can you confidently confirm - The Fuel Pump Primes or doesn't when the fault is active?

The most common cause of your issue - Cranks but won't start are related to Fuel Pump not priming/running.

Also check the state of your 2 main 30a fuses, they wont't be blown BUT check for overheated/burnt, high resistance connections. You might also have a bad/intermittent earthing issue. I'm also making an assumption here that because the starter cranks over at normal speed, your battery and its connections are good!

Another issue that can cause hard starting especially in cold conditions is a quick start then stop. The engine is in full cold enrichment mode, you turn the engine off when it's not warm enough to burn off the excess fuel. Next day you start your cold engine, again, the ECU is setting a rich mixture - you now have a hard to start flooded engine. See the "Flooded Engine" start procedure in your Owners Book. (Page 75 in my book).

Keep us updated.

Cheers.

Grum.

Grum,

Thanks for the comments, you may have solved my problem.  First, the Fuel Pump is working fine and when I have this problem to get it started I turn it off, turn it on open the throttle ... even read the manual. Let me tell you about my commute, the first 24,000 miles it was 17 miles each way. Now I warm it up (because of the starting issue) then drive the whole one mile to work. Coming home, I start it up and drive home, put it away. I will let it get to temp and hopefully this will be the solution.  It's been raining lately so I have not been on it, will update if I continue to have problems.

Thanks again

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, jlpvfr said:

Grum,

Thanks for the comments, you may have solved my problem.  First, the Fuel Pump is working fine and when I have this problem to get it started I turn it off, turn it on open the throttle ... even read the manual. Let me tell you about my commute, the first 24,000 miles it was 17 miles each way. Now I warm it up (because of the starting issue) then drive the whole one mile to work. Coming home, I start it up and drive home, put it away. I will let it get to temp and hopefully this will be the solution.  It's been raining lately so I have not been on it, will update if I continue to have problems.

Thanks again

Hi jlpvr.

Glad to help. There is a very interesting thread on the 7gen VFR1200 forum. Have a good read of "2010 VFR 1200 No Start" Page 3 of the VFR1200 7gen section, it was exactly the cold start conditions I was talking about...........Finally after numerous suggestions the Flooded Engine Start procedure got him going and has had no issues since.

Good Luck.

Cheers.

Grum.

Archived