Cleveland Motorcycle Show Jan 26-28

• Member Contributer

Anybody here going? 

Shoot me a PM if you are and we can talk VFR's over a beer.

• Member Contributer

Hi Yoshi:

The past 10 years or so have been working in Europe that time of year so have either gone to the Milan (Ecima) show or the London show as time allowed. This year I was a working during both so thought I would try something in the US as I have some time off.

Have to admit I have never been to a US Motorcycle show despite having ridden for 42 years. Hope I'm not disappointed.

I do have an ulterior motive in that my brother and his son (my nephew) will be there, I think on Sunday. My Nephew is the proud owner of 2 VF1000 F's, despite never knowing I had a bunch of first Gen  V4's. He bought one from his younger brother who also had no Idea I was a V4  aficionado. Must be a genetic marker in the family :+)

I'll PM you my cell in case you do decide to go. Hope to see you there.

• Member Contributer

I used to go to the NEC, EICMA and INTERMOT fairly regularly, but I haven't been in ages (roughly since my "press credentials" source passed on).  I think you'll find that the main difference with the US shows is one of scale.  But it's not necessarily a bad thing that you can see all of the exhibits, maybe catch some events and chat to people during the course of a single day.  That's nearly impossible at EICMA or INTERMOT...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Let me know when you're in town and what day you plan to be there.

The Cleveland show is decent. I shifted the main reason for going from seeing bikes to shopping for gear. Last few years almost all of the helmet mfgs have been there with a full line up, offering pretty nice discounts (33% off). No race leathers yet, but I'll be looking for a fresh pair of boots and gloves.

Honda, Ducati, KTM, Suzuki, Yamaha, BMW are typically there represented by the MFGs. Everyone else is dealers bringing in bikes if they even have a presence.

• Member Contributer

That reminds me: the European shows are not retail (no selling allowed), though I think the NEC allows sales.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 1/6/2018 at 3:17 AM, JZH said:

I used to go to the NEC, EICMA and INTERMOT fairly regularly, but I haven't been in ages (roughly since my "press credentials" source passed on). 

Perhaps we could get Miguel to arrange for you to become VFRD's trusty European correspondent

???:wink:

• Member Contributer
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:37 AM, JZH said:

That reminds me: the European shows are not retail (no selling allowed), though I think the NEC allows sales.

Ciao,

Hi JZH:

FWIW the last three Eicma shows I attended all had some booths selling retail. They tended to be smaller firms selling leathers, magazine subscriptions, and some small specialty after market suppliers. None of the big manufacturers though sold at the show.

Also worth noting is that if you have a business card and a non Italian passport you are considered an International trade visitor and can get in on the trade show days, which makes it far easier to talk with reps. I did note though in 2016 they changed the hours so that Tues. from 9 to 12 was press only. Trade visitors were  allowed in after that, fair enough.

• Member Contributer

TBH, I don't know if that's been going on for a while or not.  I was going on Press Day, too, so maybe that's why nobody was selling anything!  But some shows are obviously more retail-focused than others.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Looks like Friday for me. Leaving for Chicago on Saturday sometime, so probably won't be around for saturday morning. I'll try and leave work early, but normally I get off at 4pm. I thought they were normally open until 10, but maybe I remember wrong.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, YoshiHNS said:

Looks like Friday for me. Leaving for Chicago on Saturday sometime, so probably won't be around for saturday morning. I'll try and leave work early, but normally I get off at 4pm. I thought they were normally open until 10, but maybe I remember wrong.

Friday the show opens at 3 pm and closes at 8pm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Back from the show. Friday was a really light crowd from the look of the parking lot.

Honda, KTM, BMW, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki were there in full force. Polaris had a slingshot, don't think I saw any Indians. Ducati didn't show up. No Triumph or Aprilia, but that's mostly normal. Most of the custom bikes were terrible quality and style. Maybe one of them I would have been OK with having in my garage.

All in all, there were a lot of cool bikes out there. Great time to be a motorcyclist if you cab make the payments. The show was noticeably smaller from a bikes and gear point of view. I was hoping to pick up a pair of boots, but couldn't find anyone selling any. However, Alpinestar had a manufacturer rep stand showing off their airbag suit, and I managed to get a killer deal on a GP Pro suit. $400 off. So for the $16 entry ticket, I say it was worth the trip.

Archived