• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

They don't have kits for 5th gens.  Seems like a cool mod for the 6th gen crowd.

That website is kind of awful, though. Busted links, strangely organized. Looks very much like a website in 1998 to me, so the SHOULD have products for a 5th gen...

• Member Contributer

All you need for 5th Gen is to buy the various bulbs in whatever color floats your boat. There have been a few threads detailing what sizes are needed. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, KevCarver said:

All you need for 5th Gen is to buy the various bulbs in whatever color floats your boat. There have been a few threads detailing what sizes are needed. 

A small word of caution here - It is simple and you just need to order correct bulbs, but I would caution you on color. I ordered red, purple (UV), and blue since they are super cheap, figuring I'd give them all a whirl and settle on which color I liked best in person. The red and purple were both too dim, blue was the only color that was an acceptable level of brightness. So, not all colors worked out for me. Blue looks good, so I am not unhappy with the way it turned out, but red was my first choice. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, adkfinn said:

A small word of caution here - It is simple and you just need to order correct bulbs, but I would caution you on color. I ordered red, purple (UV), and blue since they are super cheap, figuring I'd give them all a whirl and settle on which color I liked best in person. The red and purple were both too dim, blue was the only color that was an acceptable level of brightness. So, not all colors worked out for me. Blue looks good, so I am not unhappy with the way it turned out, but red was my first choice. 

If you're talking about the back lighting for the LCD screen, then blue is the best option. There is a blue filter inside the LCD "package", so blue LED light will most easily pass through. Some folks have removed the filter, but I tried it on a spare I had in the garage and couldn't get the LCD to work again after I put it back together. 

General rule of thumb is to use the same color LED as the lens. I used white for the 3 that light the dials, blue for the LCD, and color matched all the other bulbs to the lenses on the idiot lights. Can't use LED on the FI because it comes on at half intensity at all times when the incandescent bulb wouldn't be lit.

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, KevCarver said:

If you're talking about the back lighting for the LCD screen, then blue is the best option. There is a blue filter inside the LCD "package", so blue LED light will most easily pass through. Some folks have removed the filter, but I tried it on a spare I had in the garage and couldn't get the LCD to work again after I put it back together. 

General rule of thumb is to use the same color LED as the lens. I used white for the 3 that light the dials, blue for the LCD, and color matched all the other bulbs to the lenses on the idiot lights. Can't use LED on the FI because it comes on at half intensity at all times when the incandescent bulb wouldn't be lit.

I was referring to the dials and LCD (I wanted them to be the same color)  but not the indicator lights. Agreed, for indicators best to use the color of the lens as your guide (I swapped them all with like color bulbs save the FI light while I had the cluster apart). The red and purple behind the dials and LCD were not bright enough in my opinion, blue was/is... at least with the LEDs that I used for this swap. Your results may vary.  

On 1/2/2018 at 12:01 AM, Thedonald said:

It’s actually dark blue on the sidedsides ,

numberd are white inplace of red...

Guyes, something to ponder for a very 

Reasonable price ...  bluegauges.com

93A02D41-B95A-49E3-A0B5-510C8F9169CC.jpeg

If you take a picture of it in the dark with no flash, it will show much better. Every from a cell phone. Turn on your HDR and hold the phone still and we should get a view as you see it riding at night.

Archived