New to me today

Forbes

• Member Contributer

Lurked on the forum for awhile, then joined when I started my VF build, don't projects take long, so found this very nice(i think anyway) '98. Picked it up this afternoon, so should be riding in a few weeks not years.....haha.

I'll take more pics in daylight.c432dee6f958bd013491f23b1baa15a7.jpg

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Buying another bike to ride whilst the "project bike" remains unfinished is a very good plan.  So good that I've done it about eight times...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Just change the concept from 'project bike' to 'abused bike shelter' and all of a sudden things are ok!

Looks pretty good. Check those fluids and filters, and let her rip

• Member Contributer
Hi and welcome... was it from Redcliffe?

Yes, not quite Redcliffe, but maybe he used to live there.....

• Member Contributer
Is it MBD or a motorcycle-specific form of Diogenes' syndrome?

I'm a realist.....MBD! Have a creative mind so always thinking of the possibilities? Unfortunately budget constraints limit the imagination....

• Member Contributer
Uh oh, you're going to need another clutch cover now... ;)

Damn you.....was my first thought, haha, even showed the seller pics of your work! He's a Honda man....four other bikes, one of them had to go.

• Member Contributer
Just change the concept from 'project bike' to 'abused bike shelter' and all of a sudden things are ok!

Looks pretty good. Check those fluids and filters, and let her rip

Was serviced....New tyres, battery etc, but he didn't know about regulator/rectifier issues with these bikes so one of the first tests...but ofcoarse will check it over. 155k..

• Member Contributer
Buying another bike to ride whilst the "project bike" remains unfinished is a very good plan.  So good that I've done it about eight times...

Ciao,

I'm a keeper, hehe....when I decided on something, that's it for life...

• Member Contributer

So, we had a massive thunder storm at about two am.....so it got a little wet! Will get it off when others are awake.86437fe4563e84d38ce51fe79e733192.jpg8139ecf3f72ca560e789b35613bdaf11.jpg

• Member Contributer
Is that a Ute? Frickin' cool. Probably a whole lot easier to load a bike into than a regular pickup, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is, by far the best and most fun to drive. GM's 6.0L V8 six speed manual..
They are unfortunately not making them anymore.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Forbes said:

Yes, not quite Redcliffe, but maybe he used to live there.....

Yeah, seen her for sale for a while now.

Good to know she fits in the VE

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

Man, I wish we had those in the US.

You did, anyway:  Ford Ranchero, Chevrolet El Camino.  Great for burn outs...

Ciao,

2 hours ago, JZH said:

You did, anyway:  Ford Ranchero, Chevrolet El Camino.  Great for burn outs...

Ciao,

I guess technically you are right but they are nothing like the modern versions... some of these things have Corvette underpinnings!! Although I also wish we got them here, it's better that we don't as I wouldn't be able to afford one anyway :(

Holy Shiet!!! WANT!!.  What a vehicle to tote a bike,  never mind the beautiful white as they should have been from the factory 5th gen VFR.  I take it those are right hand drive?   Nice, 400+ hp to boot i bet.

• Member Contributer
Holy Shiet!!! WANT!!.  What a vehicle to tote a bike,  never mind the beautiful white as they should have been from the factory 5th gen VFR.  I take it those are right hand drive?   Nice, 400+ hp to boot i bet.

I'm discovering that it has been painted white from original red!!! Wouldn't have baught it if it was still red.....First impression was great, but now I see the flaws......but hey, it was priced right and I'll be able to ride very soon.
UTE, 270 kw standard, HSV model 317 kw, supercharged...well you guy's probably know? Mine's chipped and decent hi-flow exhaust so around 290 kw.
Last run of special GTS version think around 420 kw...originally only 100 were to be made, demand increased it to 150 units, all sold months before they even hit the production line! Claimed to be fasted Ute in the world...

• Member Contributer

Ps, they were designed for left hand drive....GM's plan was to sell in the US.....GFC in 2008 killed that plan!

Ranchero, El Camino, and a few other less popular models of varying dimensions. Still, none lived past the 80s to offer the combined power, fuel efficiency, and reliability of a modern LS. A big block El Camino would be sweet, but 10 MPG is hard to live with.

• Member Contributer

I can see the novelty appeal (especially in the USA), but an enclosed vehicle like a van works better in my world (one filled with un-castrated bike thieves).  But I used to drive an El Camino on parts runs when I worked at the old "Service Center" in Torrance, CA.  It had a decent engine in it (thanks to Bob, no doubt), but otherwise it was a shed!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Outside of bike-thieving heavy areas, this works really great. Heavy car with a honkin big, heavy engine helps keeps the front wheels planted when moving two bikes. 27mpg (US gallon). (Mostly because Y2KVFR maintains his trailer).

20180101170436-7aaaf40e-sm.jpg

Archived