Heated grips 2015 vfr

brad1977

• Member Contributer

Hi Brad1977.

The first thing I would be checking is the 10amp Acc (Accessory) Fuse in the Left Fuse Box. Its the main 12v feed for the Heated Grip Controller. Do you have any other accessories powered via the 12 Accessory plug under your seat?

The other issue I think people have had is crud getting into the ON/Off switch. Perhaps a squirt of WD40 into the switch and some exercising the switch might help.

Hi grum I have checked the switch and is switching correctly according to multimeter and fuse is all good only thing could be is the controller so will price up tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, brad1977 said:

Hi grum I have checked the switch and is switching correctly according to multimeter and fuse is all good only thing could be is the controller so will price up tomorrow

Bit of a shame, guess your bike is just out of its two year warranty? Would be worth a chat to you dealership, you might be able to sweet talk  them into a warranty replacement.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Member Contributer

If it's the part I think it is then it's £51.64 plus shipping 

Fitted to lots of other machines, possibly there's a generic out there

Odd that nobody else has had any problems 

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, brad1977 said:

Part number I have found 35530-MJN-D11

Thats the part

I think Fink might have the answer, here's hoping anyway

So just a update for you guys and gals with a 8th gen And suddenly grips inop and fuse not blown the control module is located on under the Rhs top fairing and looks like the photo attached and the transformer chip had blown as shown in photo cheers

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, brad1977 said:

So just a update for you guys and gals with a 8th gen And suddenly grips inop and fuse not blown the control module is located on under the Rhs top fairing and looks like the photo attached and the transformer chip had blown as shown in photo cheers

Hi Brad.

Good find but that ain't no transformer, its a transistor. Do you have your new controller yet? Also do a very good ohmic check on the grips, there might just be a short in one of them that may have blown that transistor. Can you identify any part number on the transistor? If you can identify it, get a replacement transistor, solder it in and see how it goes, be worth a try, assuming there's nothing else damaged in the controller! Keep us posted.

Cheers.

Sorry for the typo yes transistor and as far as markings go on it there Ian nothing to distinguish it I have order and replaced it and all is good for 1.5 hrs considering it was only worth just over $50 aus willing to take a chance plus the Honda dealer keeps in stock as same controller is installed on the Africa twin and have replaced 32 under warranty so they suggested it’s a weak link if have to replace every couple of years I can live with it post was just for everyone’s info cheers mate

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the update, worth knowing its not a one off

• Member Contributer

Yes thanks for all the info. Seems a shame seeing your Honda dealership had replaced so many under warranty that they didn't do the same for you. And $28.85 for an Oil Filter man they got at you with that one!

Guessing you live in Australia, what town?

Amazing your dealership have replaced 32 of them, Honda should upgrade the device and do a recall if they are failing at that rate.

Yes I’m in a small town outside Adelaide and charge what they like but after all the k and n bullshit with filters I’d rather just fork out the 28 for genuine filter and washer I work for a Bentley dealership and did say to them you know I can ask for goodwill and I said I’ll let it slide this time but will be going for it if repeat failure the module must need cooling as has a mesh filter with a one way type valve so I from now on will just use them intermittent 83edc64b96d27ececba0aed1b4729fee.jpg

Speaking of Australian prices a set of panniers and top box no change from $3200 and priced a quick shifter $485 so if anyone over the big wide pond would like to accept my coin and post to me would be very appreciative

• Member Contributer

Hi Brad.

48degC or 118.4degF man that's too hot for a VFR. You'd have to ride it in your birthday suit to keep cool:wacko:. In Australia Hi Flo HF204 oil filters are easily obtainable, and a lot cheaper than $28.85. Have only ever used the OEM or mostly the Hi Flo on four VFR's with no issues. Also there's just no need to replace the sump washer provided it looks good and never over tightened, have never replaced a sump plug washer on four VFR's and no oil leaks. Your bike has only had one oil change the washer should be perfect.!

Love riding the Adelaide hills area.

As for the controller failure just wonder wether it's largely due to running them on level 5 for long periods? I find level 3 is all I've needed, no doubt the higher the level the more power is required from the controller, equals greater stress on components.

Cheers

Grum.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, Grum said:

As for the controller failure just wonder wether it's largely due to running them on level 5 for long periods? I find level 3 is all I've needed, no doubt the higher the level the more power is required from the controller, equals greater stress on components.

Cheers

Grum.

Interesting theory.  I used mine for the first time in a while recently for a bare handed ride (I know - very bad idea not wearing gloves) and I found the 5 setting was almost painfully hot.  3 was plenty warm for me.  Does the bike remember the last setting?  If I have it set to 3 and turn the bike off and then turn it back on and hit the heated grips switch will it turn back on to 3 automatically or do you have to cycle it from 5 back down to 3?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, GatorGreg said:

Interesting theory.  I used mine for the first time in a while recently for a bare handed ride (I know - very bad idea not wearing gloves) and I found the 5 setting was almost painfully hot.  3 was plenty warm for me.  Does the bike remember the last setting?  If I have it set to 3 and turn the bike off and then turn it back on and hit the heated grips switch will it turn back on to 3 automatically or do you have to cycle it from 5 back down to 3?

You have it right Gator. Set the Level to say 3, turn your ignition to OFF, then ON, turn your grips back on and they will be at Level 3 as last selected.

Anytime you use the Heated Grip Switch to turn them OFF they will always come back on at Level 5.

Cheers.

Grum

• Member Contributer

Running the grips at any setting should have no effect on a transistor it's got no moving parts 

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

5 is still painfully hot at -4C with winter gloves on. 

Archived