2000 VFR800 LCD Problem

yogisays09

Dear Members,

Need your help with fixing the LCD issues on my viffer. Here is a pic of the display unit. Please advice if this is fixable.

I replaced the illumination bulbs of the unit with LED bulbs. Issue here is the LCD itself.

44A2E9B7-3E56-4AC2-8DF6-940B02F3F72B.jpeg

055D0320-0036-40CB-B28A-5FD25E04A290.jpeg

• Member Contributer

One of my VFR800 5TH friends in China also encountered this problem with LCD. My suggestion is to find professional electronics engineers to repair the electronic market..

Your tachometer is in the Japanese version. The speedometer is in the U.S. version. I wonder if it is just as bad in your country as in China,

I also learned a lot in VFRD VFR technical knowledge, and help the Chinese VFR riders, I also created the VFRCHINA organization, professional service China Honda VFR owners, seven years, we've got a lot of progress and development, thank you again for VFRD, VFROWLRD!

My VFR800 is a JDM spec which means it was designed to be locked at 180KMPH . Original speedo was 180kmph which was replaced with an US spec speedo MPH which removes fhe restriction on the clocks.

On the other hand, there is an Blue orange wire running from the ecm which is being cut to remove the ectronic restriction from tbe ECM.

So according to you this LCD is repairable? How did your chinese friend fix this issue?

B0C374DD-87B3-4BAC-A7F9-92E38768FED1.jpeg

• Member Contributer

That looks like a physical, as opposed to an electronic, problem with the LCD unit.  You should be able to buy an LCD unit off eBay and replace yours with it, but the odometer reading would show whatever the donor bike had done.  I've heard of people being able to reset the odometer on these, but the only guy I knew who could do this unfortunately died several years ago. 

One of my repeating eBay searches is for RC46-I instruments, and I do sometimes see the LCD units being sold separately.  Or just PM me your address.  I think I have a spare MPH one if that will work for you.  I don't know the mileage reading, because it was not taken off of my bike.

Ciao,

On 12/27/2017 at 2:08 PM, JZH said:

That looks like a physical, as opposed to an electronic, problem with the LCD unit.  You should be able to buy an LCD unit off eBay and replace yours with it, but the odometer reading would show whatever the donor bike had done.  I've heard of people being able to reset the odometer on these, but the only guy I knew who could do this unfortunately died several years ago. 

One of my repeating eBay searches is for RC46-I instruments, and I do sometimes see the LCD units being sold separately.  Or just PM me your address.  I think I have a spare MPH one if that will work for you.  I don't know the mileage reading, because it was not taken off of my bike.

Ciao,

PM sent , please have a look. I would be interested in the LCD unit.

• Member Contributer

Yes, the DIP switches are typical of a "speedo healer" or calibrator type device.  I've not seen that particular model before, but as your bike is a JDM bike, it may have been made by M-Max or another of the Japanese firms.  

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Speedo adjuster = Yes, BUT is it an accurisor as in speedo healer ? or a Fixer as in designed to fool the ECU about bike speed to beeat the JDM 180K limit ?

• Member Contributer

Possibly the latter, but why would they need DIP switches to do that?

(The LCD is on its way, Yogi.)

Ciao,

On 1/9/2018 at 7:19 PM, JZH said:

Ciao,

Thanks a ton John , really appreciate your kind help.

Ciao,

Dear John,

I have sent you a PM , can you pls help on that.

On 1/9/2018 at 3:48 PM, Mohawk said:

Speedo adjuster = Yes, BUT is it an accurisor as in speedo healer ? or a Fixer as in designed to fool the ECU about bike speed to beeat the JDM 180K limit ?

Ciao,

Thanks a lot John for the LCD, really appreciate your help.

To clear the confusion the speedo sensor thing, last time my VFR threw an error code for the speed sensor after which i cleaned it and reinstalled. Worked fine there after but i ordered a used sensor for bad times and the used one came with this adapter kind of thing. I did not knew what this extra attachment was until i received the sensor today.

Here is the clear pic of the adapter and I still dont have any idea what this thing is. Can you pls help identifying what this thing is.

There are no stickers nothing no brand name on this black box.

Speed sensor.jpeg

9FBD38D3-1848-4780-86AC-18F19C38F6A8.jpeg

53C6BAAF-5049-4E7C-B866-2D52FFCD1571.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, JZH said:

Looks like your bike gained some miles!  But I'm glad it worked.

Ciao,

Hahaha yes , it did gain a few miles but for good. Odo reading does not really matter here in India

• 2 weeks later...

Did some DiY on the old LCD unit. Seems like water damage. The glass of the lcd is very sharp at the edge and it deep cut my finger.

the bottom polarization film is busted and i am planning to use film from a samsung phone. Lets see how it works. I was expecting the top film to be bad but that was absolutely fine.

6ED0E0D3-BB11-4FB9-80BD-592F66A28F23.jpeg

CFC6299F-4BB8-4324-9A0B-A9D4F51B410A.jpeg

16A33613-6903-4B00-9A3A-6B8C50E2CD1C.jpeg

599328F9-B652-42E7-9F71-A488D4148FA8.jpeg

Archived