Throttle body hose replacement... silicone?

SEBSPEED

Question

Has anyone used generic silicone hose to replace the nest of hoses under the throttle body? I have 5th and 6th gen units in hand and it seems they could be replaced with 3mm silicone hose to:

- replace old hose

- avoid buying oem

- add color because that adds hp

Seems a shame to put a bike back together, and then decide it was a good idea later. lol

????

Edit: Honda lists them as 3.5mm bulk vacuum hose

13 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Yep, I have.

I did it about 3 years ago using model aircraft silicone fuel line.

Have not had a problem.

Cheers

Phil

• Member Contributer

I just replaced all the vacuum lines on a 6th gen throttle body. I removed the evap canister and capped the evap lines at the junction under the TB assembly. In hindsight I should have just removed that pathway altogether and capped the four inlets individually. 

Disclaimer: I'm no expert and I'm still putting this bike back together. Should be fine but I've not yet started it - so for me the jury is still out. Once it runs...  OK...

• Member Contributer

Hi Seb

We don't have the evap crap down here in New Zealand so it didn't enter into the equation.

Phil

3 hours ago, HighSideNZ said:

Hi Seb

We don't have the evap crap down here in New Zealand so it didn't enter into the equation.

Phil

Interesting... yours must be capped then? Although I suppose Honda could have made 2 sets of throttle bodies. Evap type and ROW.

• Member Contributer

Seb, 

Did you do this for the 5th gen TB? If so would you mind sharing your shopping list? I have my TB off for injector cleaning and t-stat replacement and am thinking I should replace the vacuum lines while I am in there. 

• Member Contributer
On 12/21/2017 at 3:42 PM, SEBSPEED said:

Has anyone used generic silicone hose to replace the nest of hoses under the throttle body? I have 5th and 6th gen units in hand and it seems they could be replaced with 3mm silicone hose to:

- replace old hose

- avoid buying oem

- add color because that adds hp

Seems a shame to put a bike back together, and then decide it was a good idea later. lol

????

Edit: Honda lists them as 3.5mm bulk vacuum hose

2 hours ago, adkfinn said:

Seb, 

Did you do this for the 5th gen TB? If so would you mind sharing your shopping list? I have my TB off for injector cleaning and t-stat replacement and am thinking I should replace the vacuum lines while I am in there. 

What he said...^^^

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, KevCarver said:

What he said...^^^

Yes, I saw Seb's comments have looked at the parts diagram. I agree about color also. I was mainly wondering about the 8mm hose, #6, 7, 21, 22 ( https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1998/vfr800fi-a-interceptor/throttle-body-tubing ) which is less common and also needs to make a fairly sharp 90 degree bend without kinking. Also, the hoses # 4 that run to the airbox sensor ( https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1998/vfr800fi-a-interceptor/air-cleaner ). 

The 3.5mm hose looks pretty straight forward and I think I can tackle that without issue. I can order factory replacements for the hoses mentioned above, but thought it would be worth checking to see what others have done. 

• Member Contributer

I've got major work planned for the near future, including T-stat and full coolant hose replacement with silicone. I saw this and thought the same as you, why not do it while the throttle bodies are off?

Reminds me, I might as well do the injector cleaning too.

think I did some work on a VFR that wasn't mine and had to replace the 8mm hose you are talking about, and I used some bulk generic hose without the pre-bent 90. (The #4 on the diagram) That seems like a thing I did once...

Maybe it was mine?

Archived