Does anybody make captive wheel spacers for the 6th gen?

Question

• Member Contributer

Does anybody make captive wheel spacers for the 6th gen?  I have been looking all over and nothing.  It would be nice to change the front wheel without the spacers falling out and rolling to the spot in the garage where it is impossible to retrieve.  Are the spacers identical to any other sport bikes?  Would any resident fabricators be interested in making me a couple of sets? 

16 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

They don't keep any in stock.  I believe the bike shares parts with other bikes.  Looks like the throttle side spacer is the same as the CBR900 and CBRF4.  The clutch side spacer is the same as the Superhawk.  I'm not sure if there are particular differences in how they are mounted.  I messaged captivespacers.com and he said he will check measurements on his end.  Anyone know the measurements of the VFR spacers offhand?  I just put on a new front and hate to go through that fiasco again so soon lol.

Great question. I have been wanting to get some accurate measurements for my Zuke spacers, and jump on Auto CAD to draw up a set for them (then have a local machine shop turn out a few sets). The VFR would be good too, but do the fronts really create an issue? Haven't pulled my front yet. 

• Member Contributer

Each spacer has a part number, so you could look those numbers up and then check them against other models.  I can almost guarantee you that they are not unique to that model.  No need for measurements.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Looks like the throttle side VFR spacer is the same as the CBR900 and CBRF4.  The clutch side spacer is the same as the Superhawk.  Worth measuring to be sure, though.  Measure twice and cut once (or in this case order once).

They're not really an issue, I just want to make it as easy to change as possible.  I blow through tires in general and am looking to assemble a VFR track weapon, too.

On 12/19/2017 at 9:42 AM, JZH said:

Each spacer has a part number, so you could look those numbers up and then check them against other models.  I can almost guarantee you that they are not unique to that model.  No need for measurements.

Ciao,

Gotta be careful when assuming that. Chrysler, for example, will list different part numbers for the same part because the application is for a different year and or model, when in fact they are the same part. I'm sure it's not just them. 

• Member Contributer
On 12/21/2017 at 4:00 PM, JimF777 said:

Gotta be careful when assuming that. Chrysler, for example, will list different part numbers for the same part because the application is for a different year and or model, when in fact they are the same part. I'm sure it's not just them. 

It wasn't an assumption; Honda routinely uses the original part numbers when the same parts appear on subsequent models.  

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

If you search Partzilla.com when you select the individual part there a list on the lower right side of other machines it's fitted to

Though not helpful to this application, it is the same subject and a free bump. Drew this up today for the rears of mine. A friend will turn them when he gets the chance. 
Man, I'd love to have a lathe, of almost any size.

WheelBearingSpacers-Imp_Metric.pdf

• Member Contributer
On 4/1/2018 at 11:46 AM, KevCarver said:

Thanks for the idea.:idea3: I just snagged a set for mine, SP1 front end FTW!:cool:

Yeah, thinking about a similar switch.  Traxxion cartridges may be for sale shortly...

• Member Contributer

Maybe you could contact this guy on ebay in the UK? Captive Spacer Man UK

He was willing to sell me fronts only (Has them as F/R sets) for the SP1 front. Maybe he can make some up for VFR owners since they cross reference to other Honda sport bikes? Price was reasonable including shipping form UK. 

I haven't got mine in yet, but he's got 100% feedback.

• Member Contributer
On 4/4/2018 at 5:50 PM, SEBSPEED said:

O RLY?

Lol.  I'm also thinking about selling the VFR.  Like woman, can't make up mind.  After buying the WR250R in February and doing Cornerspin class yesterday, I may be going dirt for a little while since it applies to my track riding the CBR.  I may need you to build me a super single for the street!

• Member Contributer

If anyone is still interested, I got my SP1 front wheel spacers in the other day and installed this morning. Match up exactly to stock, except much lighter!:cool:

Anyone interested should give him a shout to see if he can make a set for standard VFRs. He's in UK, so shipping is a bit higher and takes a little longer. Let him know the cross reference parts mentioned in the earlier post and see what he can do? 

• Member Contributer
On 4/6/2018 at 9:02 AM, 007 said:

Lol.  I'm also thinking about selling the VFR.  Like woman, can't make up mind.  After buying the WR250R in February and doing Cornerspin class yesterday, I may be going dirt for a little while since it applies to my track riding the CBR.  I may need you to build me a super single for the street!

A super single for the street would be a blast!!!

Archived