Tire pressure

bighawk

Friends,

What tire pressure are you all running?  Manual says COLD tire should be 36 front and 42 rear.   I deflated them a couple months ago for the track and just remembered I need to put air in them. That said, I'm curious what you all are running for normal commuting/spirited riding both cold and warm.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Did a track day at Phillip Island, the track officials from memory set both tyres to 33psi.

Have always ran 36/42 as recommended for normal road riding.

13 hours ago, fink said:

36/42.     

24/ 28 psi  on a cold wet rainy Scottish Autumn morning can be a bit hairy.  

In the running for 'Understatement of the Year' award :laugh:

• Member Contributer

As important as tire pressure is using an accurate tire gauge.  Most of them aren't.  

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Bent said:

As important as tire pressure is using an accurate tire gauge.  Most of them aren't.  

Do you have a list of which ones are or one that you can recommend?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, fink said:

Here you go.

9%20sep08%20pressure%20gauge%20test.pdf

i have no 1&3

Can't see or download the file...

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Bent said:

I use an Longacre Racing gauge and have had it calibrated once.  It didn't need it that time and, in fact, they said they almost never have to change one.  FWIW.  

I've checked other gauges against it and they're all over the map.  Again, FWIW.  

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the link on the pressure gauges. I have to pick up a good one soon. Oddly, most accurate gauge I have is the one built in on a 12V portable tire pump out of an early 90's conversion van. Matched up perfect to a MotionPro gauge.

Street pressures is usually the stated 36/42. Drop a bit to 34/40 sometimes. But I'm slow.

I run 36/42 for regular riding.   Unless you live in an area such as  Deals Gap or the canyons of California, they're fine.  From my experience one man's idea of "hard riding" is likely another man's idea of a "brisk" ride.  

Archived