5th Gen Shock Install Nightmare!! Urgent Help Required!

breandawg

Hi all,

In the middle of doing a Nitron shock install on my 1999 VFR. All was going well, removed the linkage plates, found the top mount nut, and then I discovered I didn't have the large hex bit required to undo the bolt securing the connecting link. I attempted to undo the nut on the opposing side but suceeded only in rounding it slighty - it was tight as hell.

So, one taxi ride to Halfords and back later and I have the hex bit, bit because it's so damn tight I rounded the bolt head - now I'm truly screwed. The way I see it, I cannot manoeuvre the old shock out of position without getting the connecting link out of the way, and I cannot get the top mount off the shock (to allow the shock to come further down and possibly allow me to articulate it out of the way) because access is so damn poor.

I'm in crisis mode here - save me people!!!! The pic will hopefully show the extent of the problem.

20171216_171537.jpg

Easiest thing to do is cut the nut off and buy new bolt and nut. 

If you can't wait for that, the do a good job of cleaning the socket head of the bolt, and soak the nut with penetrating oil, then use a hammer to tap the hex bit in to be sure it is fully seated.

Never turn the bolt to loosen or tighten - always apply the torque to the nut. The hex bit end should only be used to hold the bolt still. I usually let the socket wrench pivot over to the bike and let it stay there till I break the nut free.

If you rounded the nut then you'll need to get a specialized tool to remove it. Use a breaker bar or slide a pipe over your wrench to increase your leverage.

Good luck 

7 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Remove the rear wheel & lift the swingarm as high as it will go, block it in place. It will come off with proper leverage

Sorry SEBSPEED, not sure if I follow - do you mean to say that with the swingarm jacked up and the wheel off, the shock can come out without having to remove the connecting link?

Currently I have the wheel on with a jack underneath it, the swingarm seems to be up as far as it will go, but as you can see in the pictures, the connecting link is blocking the exit of the shock as the exhaust is restricting the articulation of the link.

I have no way of removing the topmount off the shock either to give a little more room for movement as there simply isn't the access. Conducting all this work in a cold underground carpark is not the most pleasant of experiences either!

I already owe you a pint (however that works on the internet), if I succeed in removing this shock without the use of an angle grinder then I'll be a godfather/fairy godmother to your offspring...

SEBSPEED you're a god damn legend - job done, sanity partially restored! Pics below of new Nitron NTR R1 with titanium coloured spring below.

Will do a shock writeup when I've put some miles up on it.

SEBSPEED, thanks again.

20171217_170758.jpg

Archived