Chinese silicone hose sets?

SEBSPEED

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much to no ones surprise here... I have rust in my cooling system.

Should I reconnect all the stock hoses to do the coolant flush, or can I flush with a cleaner with the new silicone hoses? 

Only 4 stock hoses are currently removed. Family stopped by to visit had to take a break. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

Much to no ones surprise here... I have rust in my cooling system.

Should I reconnect all the stock hoses to do the coolant flush, or can I flush with a cleaner with the new silicone hoses? 

Only 4 stock hoses are currently removed. Family stopped by to visit had to take a break. 

Hi Urban.

Now that's a positive find for all your cooling woes. Not sure wether to go old or new hoses, just as long as you can get your system spotless, you should then enjoy a lot cooler ride. New hoses look great hope they live up to there boasted performance.

Cheers :beer:

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, manoil said:

Grum, have you always lived in Australia? I had a mate in Scotland with that nickname?

Hi manoil.

Funny, will let you into a secret!! I worked for 30 odd years with a Swizz french accent guy who could never pronounce Graham it was Grrrrum and the nickname stuck. All my ex work colleagues and my local Ulysses Club know me as Grum. So there ya have it. Give my regards to your mate in Scotland, don't think we're related, but I bet he's a nice bloke!! Yep 4th gen Ozzie.

Cheers.:beer:

• Member Contributer

I have AS3 hose and clamp kits on my ‘02 SV650 and ‘98 VFR. The SV has been ran ~4mos and had zero install issues or leaks. My VFR hoses are installed, but, the bike isn’t completely back together. Again, zero install issues. I used an impact driver to install all the clamps and that might be why no leaks on the SV. That thing can get clamps way tighter than necessary. 

• Member Contributer

I think you can rinse your system out with the new hoses, or whatever old hoses still installed combo new hoses no problem. Just rinse thoroughly. 

Well.. you get what you pay for lol. 

Missing 4 hoses, namely the block lines to water pump. 

Also the radiator cap plastic to right radiator rubber boot. Also the radiator overflow hose, but that’s to be expected.

maybe the As3 would be worth it. Pictured first below are the useless hoses. I had to pick up 3 replacement hoses at the local auto parts store. 

65D77AF2-5703-4A82-BBDE-62F921F83764.jpeg

FEB4C5CF-A1E8-4681-92C2-7A9F6DF111DE.jpeg

40622639-6A9B-4E52-9BCF-20A632F3ACB7.jpeg

D3B21BEC-A570-4F59-97A7-AFF9ED51637C.jpeg

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

Well.. you get what you pay for lol. 

Missing 4 hoses, namely the block lines to water pump. 

Also the radiator cap plastic to right radiator rubber boot. Also the radiator overflow hose, but that’s to be expected.

maybe the As3 would be worth it. Pictured first below are the useless hoses. I had to pick up 3 replacement hoses at the local auto parts store. 

65D77AF2-5703-4A82-BBDE-62F921F83764.jpeg

FEB4C5CF-A1E8-4681-92C2-7A9F6DF111DE.jpeg

40622639-6A9B-4E52-9BCF-20A632F3ACB7.jpeg

D3B21BEC-A570-4F59-97A7-AFF9ED51637C.jpeg

Did you maybe pick up a 5th gen kit instead of a 6th gen? Or maybe they sent the wrong kit? 

6 hours ago, Stray said:

Did you maybe pick up a 5th gen kit instead of a 6th gen? Or maybe they sent the wrong kit? 

They very clearly said it was for the 6G VTEC, but if I would have removed the hoses before I bought these I would’ve noticed something was missing. The big 90* bend hose from block to water pump was missing in this kit, that’s pretty silly. 

63FDAB1E-7096-4243-86A0-FFB494C9F256.png

Turns out the AS3 has some hoses mine is missing... but the AS3 kit still has missing hoses 🤦🏽‍♂️. It has the 90* hose and all hoses circled in red are not included in the $70 kit. One of the hoses circled is included in the Chinese kit but it isn’t an exact fit. It’s the top left. 

Neither of them include the 3” rubber section from the right radiator upper to radiator cap plastic connector, overflow to the reservoir. 

B3DEE002-031A-429E-83F6-10C035E3921C.jpeg

• Member Contributer

The only hoses my AS3 kit was missing was for the wax unit (98-99 models don't have this) even though the kit said it was for 2000-2001, never did follow up with them...Hmm

Well, I think this thread is pretty much done closed. All attempts at companies making silicone hoses for the VFR have been a complete FLOP for the 6th gen. I thank you @Duc2V4 @Grum @SEBSPEED and others I forgot to tag. 

I'll update with how they've held up over time at a later date, if they inevitably blow. Currently I paid about $35 too much for replacement hoses when I could've just gone with auto store rubber. Oh bother. I'll let everyone know how it goes as I've become the guinea pig!

• Member Contributer

Guys, surely both AS3 and the Chinese guys make hoses for other vehicles too? Would it not make sense to just contact them with pictures/dimensions of the missing hoses and ask those to be sent over? 

They might even update future kits. 

If one hose is too loose over a particular spigot you can do what Mohawk did: throw some thick heatshrink over the spigot to give it more girth (ooh, matron!). 

Good luck! 

Stray

• Member Contributer

" I worked for 30 odd years with a Swizz french accent guy who could never pronounce Graham it was Grrrrum and the nickname stuck.

Thank feck he wasn't Chinese it could have been Glum 🙂

My mate, a Graham also had a bit of a stammer so we shortened his name to help him out.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Stray said:

Guys, surely both AS3 and the Chinese guys make hoses for other vehicles too? Would it not make sense to just contact them with pictures/dimensions of the missing hoses and ask those to be sent over? 

They might even update future kits. 

If one hose is too loose over a particular spigot you can do what Mohawk did: throw some thick heatshrink over the spigot to give it more girth (ooh, matron!). 

Good luck! 

Stray

I did send them an email about the ones I was missing and never heard back from them. This was around the Christmas holiday season, so that might be a factor and to be honest I just never followed up afterward. It's low on my priority list at the moment but if I can remember and it's early morning here (late afternoon for them), I might give them a call instead. At least talking with a live person, they cannot say they never got the message.

The only concern I have is that the hoses in question (wax unit) are no longer available from Honda. If they need samples to pattern from, I would imagine they would need someone to provide them. Since the only ones I have available are on my bike, not really eager to remove them and send them their way. Not only is time a concern but what if they get lost in shipping?

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I have an update regarding the two hoses for the 00-01 5 Gen that are not part of the kit. A few people on Facebook have been saying that all you have to do is ask for them and they will provide them. This is not true.  I just got off the phone with AS3 and confirmed with them that the two hoses that feed the wax idle unit on the 5 Gens ARE NOT AVAILABLE, you cannot ask for them when you order them as they do not make them. I asked if they were provided a sample, would they be able to make them, they said yes, but it would be some time (probably next year) when they would be available, all they would need is a sample.

That being said, these hoses look like they are no longer available from Honda, which means if they were to obtain a sample, it would require someone to provide the hoses from their bike as a sample. If I could obtain some, I would be glad to send them to them in order to get them made up, but I am not willing to volunteer the ones from my bike as it would render it un-rideable for for too long for my comfort. Perhaps someone in the more "frozen areas" of the world can offer them up, while their bike is in hibernation?

• Member Contributer

Just to follow up:

My AS3 hoses fit pretty well, the smaller return hose to the bottom of the coolant reservoir doesn't have quite the right bend, but it works and I have no leaks anywhere on the bike in 600+ mi of riding the bike post install. 9/10, would buy again. 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

I have an update regarding the two hoses for the 00-01 5 Gen that are not part of the kit. A few people on Facebook have been saying that all you have to do is ask for them and they will provide them. This is not true.  I just got off the phone with AS3 and confirmed with them that the two hoses that feed the wax idle unit on the 5 Gens ARE NOT AVAILABLE, you cannot ask for them when you order them as they do not make them. 

Thought they looked like they made them available for the 6thGen (in their pictures)

I'm guessing the setup between 5th and 6th are different?

Archived