Chinese silicone hose sets?

SEBSPEED

• Member Contributer
On 5/16/2018 at 12:57 AM, Urbanengineer said:

Sad to see this hasn't been updated since March. Has anyone gone with the Silicone sets? My VFR stock lines are leaking at multiple points, would rather not spend $130 on bling :).

If you have multiple leaks, then it becomes necessary replacement not bling!🙂

I'm saving up for AS3. Don't want to do it twice and not trusting the "cheapies"...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

Of the Chinese ones? What clamps did you use>

Had mixed bag of clamps from years gone by. 

• Member Contributer

Just ordered the AS3 for 5th Gen and a set of SS clamps! Now I need to place an order with Mason City for water pump and related OEM bits related to the cooling system for a full refurbish. My favorite "Seb-ism" to "Future Proof" it! 

Almost done! (Haha, never done!)

• Member Contributer

I've just fitted a full set of AS3 hoses, using their SS full band clamps and have had no end of issues with leaks.

All the spigots were clean and in really good condition so I do not think that was the issue.

I'd tighten it all up, pressure test it and it was all Ok, go for a ride and on my return there would be a leak from a joint.

Tighten the offending clamp and all OK.

Go for another ride and there would be another leak from somewhere else.

Persevered with this for a week, chasing leaks all around the place until it got to the point where the leak was under the throttle bodies.

At that point I removed the AS3 hoes and went back to my plain old rubber ones.

Not a leak since. 

So as far as I am concerned, silicone hoses are off the agenda.

Total failure.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, HighSideNZ said:

I've just fitted a full set of AS3 hoses, using their SS full band clamps and have had no end of issues with leaks.

All the spigots were clean and in really good condition so I do not think that was the issue.

I'd tighten it all up, pressure test it and it was all Ok, go for a ride and on my return there would be a leak from a joint.

Tighten the offending clamp and all OK.

Go for another ride and there would be another leak from somewhere else.

Persevered with this for a week, chasing leaks all around the place until it got to the point where the leak was under the throttle bodies.

At that point I removed the AS3 hoes and went back to my plain old rubber ones.

Not a leak since. 

So as far as I am concerned, silicone hoses are off the agenda.

Total failure.

That does not sound fun. I am just finishing up my install of AS3 hoses and clamps and will make sure to report back with my experience. So far they seem really nice, the lengths and bends have all been a great fit and the clamps appear well made. I hope to hell I am not in the same boat as you HighSide. I will make sure to crank things down tight. Knock on wood, fingers crossed, etc. It'll be a week or two before I am back on the road, so I'll have to wait a bit to see how they do. 

• Member Contributer

I agree that the hoses looked really good.

Just check the branch on the bottom hose.

My one had a very restricted hole between the branch and the main hose.

The clamps are all BS standard marked and were really smooth in operation so yes they are high quality.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, HighSideNZ said:

I agree that the hoses looked really good.

Just check the branch on the bottom hose.

My one had a very restricted hole between the branch and the main hose.

The clamps are all BS standard marked and were really smooth in operation so yes they are high quality.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info and heads up but the 5th gen does not have the branched hose, fyi. Maybe they did a bit more accurate job of designing the 5th gen kit?

• Member Contributer

22 hours ago, adkfinn said:

That does not sound fun. I am just finishing up my install of AS3 hoses and clamps and will make sure to report back with my experience. So far they seem really nice, the lengths and bends have all been a great fit and the clamps appear well made. I hope to hell I am not in the same boat as you HighSide. I will make sure to crank things down tight. Knock on wood, fingers crossed, etc. It'll be a week or two before I am back on the road, so I'll have to wait a bit to see how they do. 

Mine are on the way, as well as new t-stat and various O-rings for the various fittings under there. Hope mine don't leak...

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, KevCarver said:

Mine are on the way, as well as new t-stat and various O-rings for the various fittings under there. Hope mine don't leak...

Kev I feel like you and I are on the same path with our machines. Replacing the thermostat was the reason for this work for me. Mine was frozen open, so the bike would run cool at speed. 

I did - Tstat, water joint o-rings, gave the engine V a good cleaning while I was in there, new silicone water hoses and stainless clamps, radiator flush and exterior cleaning, cleaned and greased the electrical connections in the area since I was in there. 

Side note - I ordered some bulk silicone vacuum hose, even found some 8mm that might be able to make the sharp bends without kinking. We shall see. 

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I'm with you. T-stat is ok, but "while I'm in there..." Main reason is water pump weeping. I was looking at MiniCarver's and he had taken the water joint fittings off to find the O-rings were no longer rubber, O, or rings...LOL! So I got a set of those for sure. I think his is '01 and mine is '99.

Got the vacuum hoses too. Thanks to Seb for the idea on that one. All'em gonna be blue!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have everything from the cooling system installed, but wanted to check for leaks before getting the throttle body back on, so I got a pressure tester from Autozone loaner tools. 

So far holding 1.1 (bar?) and no leaks. Included a cap tester too, and it was good. Probably replace it anyway. Pretty sure it’s OE. 

Don’t know if it will prevent the issues HSNZ had, but here’s hoping!

E987A9CA-D3F5-4996-8D79-7582F57A6CE8.jpeg

7262CF07-3B22-42CF-9DC8-9673F51133A3.jpeg

8392782E-D140-477C-999E-82C734FC37E5.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Well, it's been pressurized for 18 hours now with no leaks. The actual pressure does slowly decrease over time, but only a couple psi overnight, and no drips anywhere.

I guess that's about the best I can do before putting it back together in terms of testing. Hopefully the heat cycles aren't the thing that makes it leak.

Run a few fan cycles, standing well away from the bike, with the bike parked far from anything or anyone you value and a fire extinguisher at hand... and a5 least some sunglasses on

• Member Contributer

I’ve ridden my 5 Gen with these hoses on for at least 4 track days and other than having to retighten the hose clamps after the first two days, all is good. 

• Member Contributer

I agree that they do loosen off but what I found was that they continually loosened off after a heating cycle.

EG: Tight with no pressure drop over night.  Go for a ride and reach temperature and possibly sit in traffic and get a high temp.  Next day pressure test and there are leaks.

Sorry from where I sit I'll stick with rubber.

• Member Contributer

I had the same experience with Samco hoses, I had retighten after a few heat cycles to the hoses. So I tried to position the clamps so i could get to them with a screw driver without removing the throttle bodies 

• 1 month later...

Ordered the Chinesium Silicone Hoses with the labels, excited to see where this goes. Hopefully it can finally build and hold pressure.

The seller was very responsive and is providing all hoses! Nothing left behind here... so they say.

VFR.PNG

Yeah, ran out of time tonight will continue Monday Afternoon. 

The combination of the lower 3 is a neat idea. 

The one that splits the block water may not be an exact fit, ill see Monday. For now I’ll be working 24 until then. I’ll be excited to share then. 

Here in the link again: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173232203783

Shipped in 5 Days from China to OHIO!!! Crazy fast. 

Archived