Help me get naked

Lint

On 12/14/2017 at 11:25 AM, Lint said:

The only hesitation I have in this is that if have a challenge if I ever wanted to go full faired again.

Once you're gone, you can't come back. When you're outta the blue, and into the black.

Err, I mean, looks like a one way street to me. Especially with a 1999 vintage bike.

Fix it up and ride it like it's 1999. :happy:

I think I need a dose of music. :tongue:

• 3 weeks later...

i had some time to work on the bike yesterday and got my headlight mounted. bike's looking pretty sweet. now to figure out what to do with the rats nest of wires!

i also got a good deal on the cbr 1000 ignition harness and gsxr coil on plugs, and they should be at my house soon

zGftQ1h.jpg

You're bike looks strange enough to actually look good.  LOL!  Nice job.  

I'll bet if you paint your frame Satin Black, along with the fork legs, then match the front wheel finish with the rear it will look even better.  The black frame will hide the existing wires.

thanks

some day i'll get around to cleaning the forks and engine really well, and repainting the rear wheel better. i dont plan on painting the frame though. it only looks good (imo) when it's powdercoated, and i dont have that sort of budget. 

i found a guy about 45 min from me who has a really low labor rate- $50/HR!! he has a shop at his home, so i'd much rather pay $150 or so to have it done, vs i struggle with it for months and wind up doing a really crappy job, lol

16 hours ago, loosenoose said:

i had some time to work on the bike yesterday and got my headlight mounted. bike's looking pretty sweet. now to figure out what to do with the rats nest of wires!

i also got a good deal on the cbr 1000 ignition harness and gsxr coil on plugs, and they should be at my house soon

zGftQ1h.jpg

Which headlight did you use?

it's a real cheap generic bucket. the lense is plastic, but it'll do for now. while i was plugging the headlight harness onto the bulb, the damn bulb popped out. i was able to fix it without damaging or touching the bulb 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3Q5L3U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the fork ears are a lot nicer than i had expected, and cheap, too!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERY83VM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

using these turn signals. they feel pretty high quality for only $18

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2JYA7M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i just dropped it off at a guy's home shop in college station. i should hear something by monday, on if the cheap gauges will work or not. 

welp...

oR3TzCtm.jpg

this is how i got the bike back.the new gauges work, but look at all this shiiiiiit. dude wanted $140 for wiring up the gauges... seemed fair enough to me, despite all the leftover shit. i'm going to work on it the today and tomorrow after work, and hopefully on saturday i'll have a bike that can go out on the streets without shit dangling. 

also, he threw in an old ducati fairing. with some sanding and paint, it will look pretty good, and help hide some of the relays and junk. 

mlfUbsHm.jpg

I am definitely not charging enough.

It takes me days, weeks even to get a full harness tuck done and fitted to a naked conversion. I cut out all excess and unused wiring. Delete wiring for unused items like pair, flapper, etc. Split grounds to multiple frame points vs factory bus. I'll have all of 40+ft of wire removed from the 800 I'm working on right now. 

I like my work to look factory. I use new factory terminals and factory or upgraded sealed connectors and marine grade heat shrink on all connections. It takes a lot of effort but it's worth it!

Hey loose,

Just a heads up, after the plastic lense deforms the reflector starts to melt, then get another and start again,

or I've found they last longer if you don't turn it on.

5a6a72cadecfb_20171118_190706-Copy.thumb.jpg.334c798857d48a71a36e539e208ad33f.jpg

With your wiring loom, after you unwravel it, you will surprise yourself what can be achieved with a pair of cutters and electrical tape,

- cut off the unused gauge cluster plugs

- relocate the headlight, indicator relays, bank angle sensor under tank or inside frame, the wiries are long enough.

- ignition and speedo connections can fit inside your self destructing headlight bucket.

- retape to suit new wiring loom branches

Ducati cowl looks good

This thing is a beast, lol. I’m all up innit right now, but about to call it a night, cause im cold and hungry. It’s easier to understand this mess with the new gauges hooked up.  Halfrider, we got the same cheap headlight!

i feel like the dude who did the wiring on the new gauges gave me a fair deal. Everything but the tach works, and i’ll get that figured out eventually. It was a letdown to hear him say it was ready to go, and i had my dad drive me an hour out there, so i could ride

it back. We picked up a jalopy on 2 wheels, and went to go have some tasty burgers instead. It wasnt a bad night... just not at all what i was hyped up for.  

I have stripped some good bulk from the harness so far, and i’m working on simplifying the turn signal mess. This whole thing is a mess, but its coming together. Thanks for the tips and help in general. I still hate wiring, but its less intimidating now. 

On 1/19/2018 at 6:01 PM, SEBSPEED said:

$50 is pretty low isn't it... I need to up my rates lol

More like $80 - $100+ here.

You're a business man right? Not only a business man, a motorcyclist first, but it is a business.  :beer:

1 hour ago, VFR4Lee said:

More like $80 - $100+ here.

You're a business man right? Not only a business man, a motorcyclist first, but it is a business.  :beer:

Trying. Still have kinks to work out, and work to bring in.

80-100/hr is insane money IMO. I get that overhead is higher than ever, but those numbers are just painful for most customers.

4 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

80-100/hr is insane money IMO. I get that overhead is higher than ever, but those numbers are just painful for most customers.

When you quote/bid, for work/jobs, time/hours are irrelevant, your workmanship speaks for itself, if someone thinks they can get a better job done, wish them luck, then charge accordingly when they return to have you fix up someone elses f...up.

22 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

That is what the shop charges, not what the tech gets, and yeah overhead and fixed expenses are up there I'm sure.

Insurance. Opps, sorry for the bad word.

No doubt this is a high cost area, your prices may vary.

$100 / hour is a bit painful and makes me think twice about what I am willing to diy.

The one shop I have confidence in charges, was it $120/Hr? for fabrication work.

It's supply and demand. Getting too much work to handle? Raise prices ftw. :happy:

Archived